2x72 belt grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

Your design seems pretty well thought out, most 2x72s have the motor down low and in the path of the grinding swarf. I was getting a fair amount of use out of mine, 15-20 hours a week is a good guestimate. Burned out a total of 3 motors in a few months before I caved and put a 2hp TEFC motor on, no problems since.

I don't mean to make my argument sound like the only option, just speaking from my personal experience. After the failures I find it a bit harder to trust treadmill motors, they held up a few projects so I'm a little gunshy around them now
    TBT, keeping the motor away from the swarf was not a design consideration, it just happened to be a lucky consequence. I don't use mine nearly as much - averaging maybe 1/2 hr a week over a year. Deburring, no shaping except rounding corners, today I was grinding down the excess weld on some plug welds. Personal experience is great information - way, way better than unbased opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

TBT, keeping the motor away from the swarf was not a design consideration, it just happened to be a lucky consequence. I don't use mine nearly as much - averaging maybe 1/2 hr a week over a year. Deburring, no shaping except rounding corners, today I was grinding down the excess weld on some plug welds. Personal experience is great information - way, way better than unbased opinion.
      I make stock removal knives, start with a bar of steel, get rid of everything that doesn't look like a knife. When I was murdering motors I was doing about a 4 foot bars worth of blades a week, 6-8 blades. Between profiling, roughing the bevels, finishing, polishing, then shaping the handles, and given I was just starting out and thus none too fast on the grinder, it was a solid 3 hours of work per blade, and probably 1/3 of a 1.5x48" bar of 1/8" steel turned to swarf.

Not much compare to what some guys do I'm sure, but I think I can say I got a fair bit of work out of those motors. Certainly got my money's worth, given I got them for free, but all the same I still advise against using them now, unless you've got a spare and provision to easily replace the dead one. My grinder was easy, luckily, I made it a belt drive so swapping motors was just unscrew the old, swap the pulley, screw on the new.

Comment

I milled a 3/16" key way on this 16mm treadmill motor,used a 5/8" love joy coupler that I bored out to 16 mm to match.This motor was flange mounted,not foot mounted like OEM. I sealed outer housing with Gorrila tape before machining in lathe,would never get chips removed from magnets.Armenture was also sealed up before milling key in on mill,kept coolant and chips out. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2359.PNG
Views:	53
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	1853101

Comment

Working...
        X