This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a scuffle at work

Hi, have'nt been on here much but I have aquestion about a work situation. This happened Friaday morning, a fellow welder basicly tried to pick a fight with me and actually physiclly started grabbing and shoving me. It got very physical. He seemed like he really wanted to kick my ass. Anyways after I talked to a friend at work and he said I needed to tell the boss or he would,he did'nt seethe fight but heard the guy yelling at me. I just left work so I don't know if told the boss or not, but I never got a call from anyone at work yet,so not sure what's going on. I really do not even want to go back on Monday and would just as soon quit(I am 63 he is 61). I would like to pick up my tools on sunday and leave my badge(key) and wait and see if they even call me. sorry for the long post never in all my years have I ever had this happen to me

Damn, I would definitely tell the boss. Lots of old guys (me included) have strong opinions, but getting physical is an absolute no-no anywhere. Seriously, look up the bosses phone number right now and get in touch before monday. Even if you gotta find his home phone. Don't let some jerk run you off.

Comment

What a horrible situation - you should not have to worry about that and you should not be forced out of your job due to some A-hole, if you leave he wins, and most likely does it again to someone else, very important question here; did you do anything to provoke him? is there two sides to this story?

Again if it's just out of the blue then either clean his clock next time he pulls it or make the decision that before it comes to that you just walk in monday and level with the bossman and tell him what's up, never a perfect solution as the guy could be a total wingnut and if it gets him canned he then want's to "settle a score" with the entire workplace,,, welcome to the new america...

Comment

What prompted this?
        Perhaps that should determine who should pack up their tools.
        Can you get everyone involved together to try and discuss or mediate the situation?
        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

My experience is that there's two sides to every story, but getting hands-on physical is instant firing.

Comment

Sorry you went through that. You'd think at 61 he'd be all grown up by now. Agree with Nicklecity, call the boss this weekend.

As an employer its the second worst nightmare (first is someone hurt). Every workplace will have a policy about not tolerating violence, but what are you supposed to do when its he said she said? I honestly don't know. I had one instance of somepoking someone in the chest (similar aged guys) and fortunately it got resolved with an apoligy and acknowledge of wrong doing. Any history of bad behaviour from him? Any witnesses?

Again as en employer I'm inclined to not make everything a 3 alarm blaze (perhaps because there is so much countervailing force), but imo the right thing is fire him if it can be substantiated who was the (physical) instigator, or if that's not possible and you feel you can't be there anymore (failure to provide a safe workplace) there should be some constructive dismissal severance (all that will depend on jurisdiction, tenure etc). I guess my point is, it sounds like you're the victim and they may have to step up depending on local labour laws so its not all on you (like getting through grocery checkout line until you get another job)

You also should write everything down now. Contemporaneous notes could matter a lot.
            Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-01-2020, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Go to work Monday morning. See the Boss first thing. Ask him which of the two of you he wants working there. Let him decide.

Tell him if he finds out later he made the wrong decision to give you a call. Let him know you could come back - if the other guy is NOT there - unless you have already found another job.

Comment

well about a week ago he had spouted of with a couple demaning comments and I ignored them and did not talk to the guy for the whole week. The Friday morning I was welding some stuff and had to go use the facilities, when I came back my welder was turned off. Ok no big deal,but I had a feeling he had done it,but wasn't sure if I had turned it off. so a while later I went to talk to my friend and purposly left my welder on, come back it's off. S walked over to him and told him to leave my welder alone. That's when he went off yelling at me that it's not your welder pal and got right up in my face and starts calling me a whyney punk. So I turned to leave and he blocked me and grabbed my shirt,and the rest is history

Comment

Contact the boss privately, and if that doesn't result in a positive outcome, call the authorities and file assault charges or get a protective order, and perhaps have a police officer accompany you to your work place. Such incidents may be a precursor to a disgruntled employee "going postal", which nowadays often involves firearms and fatalities. Scary situation!
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

No question, talk to the boss. Disagreement and even raised voices is one thing. Getting physical a whole other level. No room for that at all.

Even if it was something that you intentionally did thinking it would be a practical joke or something like that and he took it totally wrong there's still no room for that sort of comeback.

Even if you do decide to wrap things up as a result consider that he's liable to go off on someone else. Stay or go I'd suggest that the boss should still hear your side of the story.
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Oh and this guy is the senior welder been there a long time and I am second but he has been treated like God since before I showed up by the original group. I think he really took offense at me for ignoring him

Comment

You're not being paid to take abuse. Always remember that. They've got laws about this stuff nowdays. Contact the boss ASAP.

Comment

Originally posted by shoprat View Post
                          Oh and this guy is the senior welder been there a long time and I am second but he has been treated like God since before I showed up by the original group. I think he really took offense at me for ignoring him
                          Yeah, I've been through that. Its not fun.

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            Again if it's just out of the blue then either clean his clock next time he pulls it
                            Sorry AK, that is not appropriate. Suppose he's a giant boxer black belt has a gun or grab's a pipe. Who's bigger/tougher should have ZERO relevance to how handle things in the workplace. Why should the OP loose any teeth or risk a visit to the hpspital to resolve workplace violence? Maybe you get charged and fired because throwing a punch is witnessed. Maybe you are the big tough one and knock him down...but he hits his head and dies. Why should anyone do a long stint for manslaughter to resolve work place violence?

Comment

Originally posted by shoprat View Post
                              well about a week ago he had spouted of with a couple demaning comments and I ignored them and did not talk to the guy for the whole week. The Friday morning I was welding some stuff and had to go use the facilities, when I came back my welder was turned off. Ok no big deal,but I had a feeling he had done it,but wasn't sure if I had turned it off. so a while later I went to talk to my friend and purposly left my welder on, come back it's off. S walked over to him and told him to leave my welder alone. That's when he went off yelling at me that it's not your welder pal and got right up in my face and starts calling me a whyney punk. So I turned to leave and he blocked me and grabbed my shirt,and the rest is history
                              Yeah - you did not deserve any of it - he's got "issues" it's your call what to do, and yeah you could be poking a hornets nest -- it's a shame we have to think this way but it's happening all over the nation, so if he's a total wingnut with no limits then just what is the right approach? the fact of the matter is there is no 100% correct answer...

Comment

Working...
                              X