Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tool gloat cylinder square

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tool gloat cylinder square

    This just arrived in the mail. I have to wait for the temperature to stabilize. Then I am going to check it for roundness and squareness etc. It's a Fairbanks-Morse Z-series piston pin, to be used as a cylinder square. Thats a 9x12 grade A plate and for size reference, the surface gauge is a regular Starrett. The pin is new, old stock about 6 inches long and 2.5 inches diameter and it weighs a few pounds. Cost was $21 plus shipping.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	cylsq.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	1852711
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

  • #2
    Hi,

    Very, very nice. I need to get of my lazy backside and search for one myself.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by dalee100 View Post
      Hi,

      Very, very nice. I need to get of my lazy backside and search for one myself.
      There are more than a few on eBay. I also have a 60-series Detroit Diesel pin coming in the mail, that was also around $20.
      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

      Comment


      • #4
        That's pin abuse.
        Looks more like a locomotive pin than a Z pin. Now I gotta go look at my Z and be sure.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Franz© View Post
          That's pin abuse.
          Looks more like a locomotive pin than a Z pin. Now I gotta go look at my Z and be sure.
          Was told that the Z engine had a 7" bore and something like 11" stroke, so I'm inclined to believe them. It was supposed to be for the 18HP model, I believe. Damn they made stuff heavy-duty back then....
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

          Comment


          • #6
            This is the one I bought last year. It's a Cat diesel pin. Forgot the part number and engine it was for. Roundness is better than a tenth anywhere I check it. I found that two sides of one end are square within a tenth over the entire length so I marked the top. I was going to try and grind the bottom in but didn't think I could get it any better.
            Beautiful mirror finish.
            I have seen a lot of cylindrical squares that have markings on the top end indicating where it's most square.

            JL...................






            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
              This just arrived in the mail. I have to wait for the temperature to stabilize. Then I am going to check it for roundness and squareness etc. It's a Fairbanks-Morse Z-series piston pin, to be used as a cylinder square. Thats a 9x12 grade A plate and for size reference, the surface gauge is a regular Starrett. The pin is new, old stock about 6 inches long and 2.5 inches diameter and it weighs a few pounds. Cost was $21 plus shipping.


              Click image for larger version

Name:	cylsq.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	1852711
              how will you check for squareness? With no reference, it can be checked against itself using a squareness gauge and a tenths indicator. Bottom or top can be lapped (which ever is better)to bring it into square if there is no taper in the pin. If there is taper you will have to live with it. Let us know what you find, lots of members are thinking about this.

              i just lapped the base of a 4x12" cyl sq and can recommend clean, clean and clean the surface plate again. Stone and clean the the gauge base. Wash and dry your hands. Frustrating experience because of how careful you must be. Moisture from my hand on or near the surface plate messed up the reading. Even the felt marker markings on the bottom screwed things up. Now, if you are not using a thenth indicator. Disregard this entire paragraph.

              Comment


              • #8
                My third picture shows how you check it for squarness with a dial.

                I try to avoid felt markers for anything I check on the surface plate. As thin as that ink film is it'll cause sticking when sliding on the plate.

                JL.......................
                Last edited by JoeLee; 02-01-2020, 06:58 PM. Reason: Because I felt like it !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                  Was told that the Z engine had a 7" bore and something like 11" stroke, so I'm inclined to believe them. It was supposed to be for the 18HP model, I believe. Damn they made stuff heavy-duty back then....
                  Oh sure, go with top pony power.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9vZebtCbc
                  That would be a nice engine to run a line shaft shop. Probably did at one point.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have checked it for straightness and overall truth. The Swiss tell me it is good to a tenth for overall straightness and roundness. However, that is the tolerance of my vee blocks, so I couldn't point to any particular part of my setup. See pics:


                    Click image for larger version

Name:	sq1.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	1852745Click image for larger version

Name:	sq2.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	1852746


                    Tomorrow will be the real test of squareness, I will have to redo my setup. Tonight I'm kinda tired, so I'll put it aside till tomorrow afternoon.
                    .
                    .
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by rickyb View Post

                      how will you check for squareness? With no reference, it can be checked against itself using a squareness gauge and a tenths indicator. Bottom or top can be lapped (which ever is better)to bring it into square if there is no taper in the pin. If there is taper you will have to live with it. Let us know what you find, lots of members are thinking about this.
                      Will be checking for squareness with a tenths indicator and square comparator tomorrow afternoon. Kinda pooped out tonight.
                      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Dont know about you guys, but I Love that toolbox...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Forgot to add: in addition to the comparator setup tomorrow, I also have a new Kinex square to DIN-875 and some older B&S squares to try it with. I think the comparator setup will be authoritative though. After all, if I see a crack of light, I don't necessarily know which one is off, or both. I could rotate the cylinder and find out that way. But, the tenths indicator is already inside of DIN-875 over that length as far as I know (not that familiar with DIN)
                          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            Dont know about you guys, but I Love that toolbox...
                            Thanks, me too that was an eBay find and it was almost a weeks pay, unrestored original from the 1930's.
                            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Just miked it. According to Messrs Brown and Sharpe it has .0001 taper from one end to the other. The taper is uniform i.e. it isn't lobed. One end is 2.4995 and the other end is 2.4994. Remember this is over a 6" length, and it was ground decades ago.

                              I think it'll do for all practical purposes as soon as I can establish squareness tomorrow. There is more than one setup that will work.
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X