Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z Axis DRO on 3 in 1

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Z Axis DRO on 3 in 1

    Hello, I am curious to see some pictures or hear some advice on how to mount an igaging DRO to the Z axis on my Bolton BT-800 3 in 1 machine. This machine is identical to the Grizzly G9729, among others. I am guessing I am going to have to drill into the spindle or something? There is this plastic cover for the lower bearing, and I can mount to that I guess. I am not excited about the options I have thought about so far. I figured I would check with you all here before diving in. Thanks for your time!

    EDIT: Added some pictures. I am thinking of bolting down the sensor block on the machine itself and one end of the bar to a metal (brass or steel?) version of that black plastic dust cover with the grub screw in it. I would leave the other end of the bar free to move. I figure I can make the OD of the metal dust cover oversized and then mill a flat ...

    Click image for larger version  Name:	dUYGQwyxN4Na1fw4H5L6PLCyY-ARkesds5md7JXD1QdTTlVjjYz84kNB_RA061-ir71YT1x6tbp1rmfeJ0lX4s4Uw60AhANOVrb9vCbuXD9wfb3MwtvRt5UQC7QKZMZw5WYTlvTBL972-DqzIbJWc_0lESOmXyKkPkgNxi1oRRk-Dpp9TOkJcM4FnLAZBrzC6utM8TG6FpgQUX_6qtHEhPVDwR545FPkBl3TFEZTY5em9aG_ASMTNkoKOdNl4Nz Views:	1 Size:	119.0 KB ID:	1852895

    Click image for larger version  Name:	_P8tCgPeSpnipfem8w8YnIHmkvBUICgWVHM40OHx8ZWBVRdoYEAQKC4fxSsXOi7v9bwFayim0554HXoDGq4kDvDVu-X8lrvJqQDk9PzersujexvTX6CpZfzE6HVnxpURCjdwOvo7Vi7-l9mY1OZguA9SG2ccDsiclqpB0hIs_ua6c7vI_9edgrIwaZYqAWmDyty-CW2RXKy659HqSTcszTTiII3ZMFOMsnP4H5XOIkuLxWkKmAkwBqiI3kPl3ST Views:	1 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	1852896
    Last edited by aPpYe; 02-02-2020, 12:39 PM. Reason: Added some pictures ...

  • #2
    For sure I would not drill into any spindle. Instead I would make something out of metal to replace the plastic part, and mount to that.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's like trying to put lipstick on a pig, so why even bother.

      Or to put it another way, why try to polish a turd ? :-)

      Comment


      • #4
        As NSF says, mounting to plastic is not the best way if there are any alternatives. I am guessing, here, as it would help a lot if you could provide some photos. Here are a couple I have done on milling machine quills. The lower one was not complete at the time of the photo.
        Attached Files

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
          For sure I would not drill into any spindle. Instead I would make something out of metal to replace the plastic part, and mount to that.
          Sounds reasonable!

          Originally posted by greenie View Post
          That's like trying to put lipstick on a pig, so why even bother.

          Or to put it another way, why try to polish a turd ? :-)
          My machine is better than yours.

          Originally posted by old mart View Post
          As NSF says, mounting to plastic is not the best way if there are any alternatives. I am guessing, here, as it would help a lot if you could provide some photos. Here are a couple I have done on milling machine quills. The lower one was not complete at the time of the photo.
          It looks like we are on the same page ... I posted some pics on the original post.

          Thank you all for the input!

          Comment


          • #6
            I would try and get the plastic bit off to see if a metal replacement could be made which would be more rigid and could possibly be made a bit bigger with a flat on the od which would be easier to mount a readout. An illustrated parts list may help. These cheap readouts are very useful on a basic machine like yours. Hopefully, if space and funds allow, one day, a dedicated mill will be so much easier to use.
            The upper mount could be as easy as removing a couple of square inches of paint from the front face of the head and gluing on a bracket, no drilling required.
            Be warned, I drilled a hole in the bottom end of the scale on the green mill. It burned out a cobalt drill, and I finished off with a solid carbide drill.
            Last edited by old mart; 02-02-2020, 12:55 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by greenie View Post
              That's like trying to put lipstick on a pig, so why even bother.

              Or to put it another way, why try to polish a turd ? :-)
              You gonna be the one to donate a K&T Model K and a 10ee to the OP?

              Dudes using the machine he has, what justification do you have for mocking that?

              Comment


              • #8
                You have to be careful drilling into those castings. They are full of air pockets and slag, like a sponge.
                You drill and tap a hole for a scale and then drill the other hole and hit an air pocket or void and then you have to move the first hole and start all over.

                JL..............

                Comment


                • #9
                  That is one good reason for just removing the paint and gluing a bracket on. #6

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    The best bet may be to gouge out an area where each screw hole will be and fill it with Devcon or something similar and then drill and tap the Devcon.

                    JL...............

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X