For Why You No Tell Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Why You No Tell Me

The Subtitled Because Some Guys Got Their Panties in a Twist Over A Cultural Reference They Didn't Get but Was Amusing To The Author and Some Others Who Read It About Some Guy Realizing He is as Happy Today About His Saw as He Was When He Bought His First One Many Years Ago And Wanted to Share it But Had to Change The Ttitle To Comply or Be Shunned Over It Thread.

A number of years ago I titled a post (in another group) like that. For Why You No Tell Me. I had just purchased and started to use my first horizontal bandsaw. A 4x6 Harbor Freight saw. Its not a fantastic saw, but any horizontal bandsaw that isn't completely destroyed is worth having. Even though it never cut exactly the same twice it still saved me huge amounts of time safely breaking down stock while I did other things. Guys talk about using wood working tools to break down aluminum, but I can personally attest that it can be dangerous. I've got a scar on my belly that looks like a bullet wound. The best thing about the horizontal bandsaw is you set it up tell it what to do and go have a cup of coffee while it does all the cutting on its own, and when its done it shuts itself off and the part falls into the catch bucket below. They get dinged on the corner of you let them fall on the floor.

Well a few years ago I bought the 7x12 Harbor Freight horizontal bandsaw and it is as much better than the 4x6 as the 4x6 is better than not having one. I never "dialed it in" or tweaked it other than to roughly check the fence to the blade when I use it for miter cuts and change it back. It cuts all day long if I need it to. When I got it I knew it had a coolant tank and a pump built in, but I never used it until yesterday when I was trying to cut some hard steel. Some time back I had asked the owner of a local fabrication shop what coolant he ran in his saw and he said, "Oh, I don't use anything because it makes a big mess on the floor. If I need to I just put some cutting oil on it." For years I have done just that. Just put cutting oil on it at the start, and again half way through for thick stuff. That works fine. I've done that for years. Since the coolant tank was already full I figured I'd just go ahead and use it today. I've been breaking down stock for jobs all afternoon and its just so nice to not have to worry about it. When the stock drops off in the bucket the saw switches off, and the pump turns off with it. They way I think it should... and it does. Now I know if the tray fills up with chips it might not be the case, but so far I haven't seen a single drop on the floor. I can see not wanting to maintain coolant if you don't use it very often, but I think this saw is going to get used with flood coolant every day from now on.

I have to say the horizontal bandsaw is one of the most used tools in the shop. Or more accurately that it cuts more pieces than any other machine in the shop. Most of what goes in the lathes and the mills go on the bandsaw first. (sometimes I order rough sized stock or part pieces on the lathe.)

I think no matter what the first machine tool is a shop gets, the second one should be a horizontal bandsaw.

Last edited by Bob La Londe; 02-04-2020, 03:46 PM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

The title for this thread (topic) makes no sense
    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
      Of course it does. I even explained it. Of course if I have to detail it ad nauseum for you then it just seems silly and gives you the opening to pick some part of the detailed and pedantic explanation to argue about. If you don't get it, that's ok too.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
        I agree. A title that is clear and meaningful is always better than something vague and obtuse...
        Keith

Comment

Theres a saying I heard, "The machinist makes his best money on the bandsaw" referring to the time saved, and a saw blade is way cheaper than a milling cutter. I ran the saw plenty at work, always with flood coolant. A good stout saw can basically pay for itself. A fresh blade with the right tension and coolant can easily get you within a 32nd of an inch of your final size.

Comment

I have owned and used many horizontal band saws. However no bandsaw has ever made me smile the way the 1972 Marvel Series 8 saw tilting head bandsaw did. Fantastic saw!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
              A number of years ago I titled a post (in another group) like that. For Why You No Tell Me.

I think no matter what the first machine tool is a shop gets, the second one should be a horizontal bandsaw.
              Nice story. Thanks. Also my first tool, bandsaw after a small drill press, same company. I learned early on through f-ing up too much metal.

Its not the Tool idiot. Its the Idiot(me) behind the tool.

I learned a lot with meager means, dont get me wrong... JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The 2 cheap bandsaw I have had are the only tools in the shop , I can't charge shop rate on. And my South Bend 9.... Can't leave them unattended, always jamming. I use 10 tpi on aluminum, which any good saw shoukd not have trouble with. Harder blades just wear the wheels.
                it is convenient to have it, but takes a lot of time.
                if I have to cut 5 inch round, I usually part it to approx 2.5 inch then the saw is sort of ok..
                Last edited by 754; 02-02-2020, 12:50 AM.

Comment

I copied this idea off another forum and fitted it to my 20+ year old 7x12 which looks the same as the Harbour Freight model.

Tee piece with two valves.

Click image for larger version  Name:	at1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.2 KB ID:	1852831

One line down to the original coolant position. Replacing the old valve and line.

Click image for larger version  Name:	af1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	55.9 KB ID:	1852832

Then the second line down to the rear guide rollers. Just had to drill a couple of holes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ar1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	77.1 KB ID:	1852833

Its surprising how much of the fine cuttings this second line washes off the blade. Keeping the blade clean and reducing the amount of material clogging up other areas of the bandsaw.

Tony
                  Last edited by 1/2 dun shed; 02-02-2020, 01:42 AM.

Comment

I've done a lot of cutting with my 4x6. It's not a great saw, but I did a fair amount of work to it so it will cut straight. When the blade is done and I don't have a fresh one on hand, I certainly miss it. Sometimes I wax the blade, usually for aluminum- other times I drip lube, but I don't have a lubricating system in place. Sometimes I wish I did.

As far as having a machine that will take over a job that otherwise is hand work, the saw certainly has earned it's floor space. The drum sander also handily earns its place, as does the dual drill presses mounted on one stand. The 'finger bender' as I call it is another tool that I now can't be without. Slip the material between the fingers and step on a pedal- presto, a nice clean bend. None of the other benders are this fast and easy to use.

The hand-rotatable table in my paint booth is another 'innovation' that I would not be without now. Makes it so easy and fast to get a full and even coverage on a part. So why you no tell me- why didn't I get this machine years ago, why didn't I get or make this tool years ago, why didn't I make this simple machine years ago- why haven't I made a proper lube system for my bandsaw- I don't actually like replacing blades as often as I do-

I'm sure I could look around the shop and see more examples of where I should add more 'completeness'- X and Y readouts on the mill table sure would be a good place to start- and a lube system for it.
                    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I used a hand hacksaw, abrasive chop saw, or a cutting torch and a grinder followed by milling or lathe to get the stock ready. Then one day I thought I'd splurge and buy a Horrible Fright 4x6. OMG what a wonderful addition to the shop. I use it on almost every project. It's been really good value for money.

Comment

I don't think I have ever spent a day in the shop without using the bandsaw. The brand name is Morgan, but it's just a generic POS 4" saw from China, and I've seen the same saw for sale under many different names.
                        It did its best to electrocute me when I bought it (new) nearly two decades ago, with exposed 230v wiring ends that needed to be connected to a safety switch (now there's an irony for you!); and the drive wheel is out of whack to the extent that the blade comes off every ten minutes or so. But after I spent a week setting it up, it has cut cleanly at a pretty exact right-angle ever since.
                        I certainly wouldn't be without it.

Comment

I feel the same way about my mist cooler. Why haven't I done this sooner?? No more chip welding, nicer finish, no mess!

Comment

I would say your'e about spot on with the title and reasoning about a metal cutting saw.
                            I bought a reciprocating saw years ago second hand for 100GBP.
                            It takes 14 inch blades which are reasonably priced and last long enough for their cost.
                            It cuts a variety of materials from wood to Chrome Moly steel, the only hiccup I've had was when cutting some questionable hardness spring steel, CGI (Compacted Graphite Iron) was also a bit slow.
                            You can set it going and leave it while doing other things, even last job before retiring for the night.
                            Chris....

Comment

My 4x6 band saw is my most used tool, too. Every part begins its life on the band saw.
                              The parts I screw up sometimes begin their second life there too, if there's enough left after my screw up.

If you want precision, use a machine tool. If you just need stock removal, use a saw.
                              Saw blades are far less expensive than lathe tools or milling cutters.
                              The piece you saw away will come in handy someday - it's far more useful than a garbage can full of chips.

Don't begrudge having to tune or make work holding items for your band saw.
                              You are already using the saw every day, where better to spend your time to be more productive?

BTW - I like the thread title. If someone would have told me, I would have gotten a band saw far sooner than I did.

Comment

Working...
                              X