Software for USB Microscope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software for USB Microscope

I needed a way to take closeup photos of my work and have been looking into USB microscopes. The first one I got was OK, but the photos weren't the best. So I got one of these Koolertrons because someone had nice images from them:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

It arrived and I powered it up. It does make nice images but then the problems began. First, it apparently has zero internal memory so I had to purchase a micro SD card so it could save the pictures. OK, I got two for just a few dollars and now I can save the photos in the microscope. But then I found that there was no way that Windows would access those photos. Apparently some additional software was needed. I had a program from the other one, but it did not access this one. The instructions talk about using a program called AMCap so I downloaded the trial version of that. Now it recognizes the microscope, but it does not display the photos. I get an error message stating "Unable to add the video capture source to the video graph. Access is denied."

Does any one have one of these USB microscopes? If so, what software are you using to import the photos to your PCs?
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Interesting - i have a very similar usb microscope https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microscope-...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Like you i had problems capturing images until i came across this :
    https://www.supereyes-store.com/page...tware-download

It's pretty simple to use and works well for my needs - YMMV...

Cheers
    Batt...

Comment

I use Canorama .... in Linux Mint.

Comment

I don't use Windoze so I can't vouch for this: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/win...10-camera-app/

Comment

Many later usb microscopes mimic webcams. See if webcam software works.

Ed
          For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Yes, that seems to be one of the recommended uses for the program that batt-man suggested. I am going to download it if I can and try it. It was late last night and I am just getting back to the computer today. Probably another late night.

I can't understand why there is so little in the line of INSTRUCTIONS. Their instruction book is a joke. And there was no software included with the microscope. And I can't find any help on their site on the web.

Thanks for the responses. I will post updates.

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
            Many later usb microscopes mimic webcams. See if webcam software works.

Ed
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

I have a couple USB microscopes. The cheapest one was recognized as a camera by my Win10 camera app, and here are some images I took just fooling around:

Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20200121_02_38_10_Pro.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	1853640

Name:	WIN_20200121_02_57_04_Pro.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1853641

Name:	WIN_20200121_02_49_37_Pro.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1853642

Name:	WIN_20200121_02_44_26_Pro.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	1853643
              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

"Win 10 camera app"????? Is that a part of Win 10? If so, where is it?

Never mind, I found it. And it does recognize my USB microscope. Now I just need to figure out how to use it. It does not seem to have any method of looking at previously taken photos: I have about 5 or 10 in the microscope. Hopefully I can post a photo soon.

Thanks!

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                I have a couple USB microscopes. The cheapest one was recognized as a camera by my Win10 camera app, and here are some images I took just fooling around:

Click image for larger version  Name:	WIN_20200121_02_38_10_Pro.jpg Views:	0 Size:	38.6 KB ID:	1853640
                Click image for larger version  Name:	WIN_20200121_02_57_04_Pro.jpg Views:	0 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	1853641
                Click image for larger version  Name:	WIN_20200121_02_49_37_Pro.jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.9 KB ID:	1853642
                Click image for larger version  Name:	WIN_20200121_02_44_26_Pro.jpg Views:	0 Size:	54.8 KB ID:	1853643
                Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 02-06-2020, 01:13 AM.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

OK, you got me going. THANKS! I am still going to try the other programs that I have and that were suggested.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WIN_20200206_00_TestPixOfSwitch.jpg Views:	0 Size:	95.4 KB ID:	1853656

Looking pretty good for a first try. The lighting needs some work but the detail is very good. Looks like this one is worth the price.

Thanks again. This board is great.
                  Paul A.
                  SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

there are softwares with angles and lines imposed on the screen for measuring purposes, a poor mans optical comparator of sorts. There are neat for looking at lathe tooling and carbide inserts etc. They work real nice for measuring angles of tiny pieces.

Comment

well, amcap does that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                        there are softwares with angles and lines imposed on the screen for measuring purposes, a poor mans optical comparator of sorts. There are neat for looking at lathe tooling and carbide inserts etc. They work real nice for measuring angles of tiny pieces.
                        +1

There is one program (freeware or "donationware") called Micam that does the this as well. I've used it with a number of cameras and USB microscopes. You can calibrate it to something that you know the measurement of and then use the on-screen scale to measure other stuff. Has been really handy a few times. You can download it here:

http://science4all.nl/?Microscopy_and_Photography

I'm sure there are others out there as well.

Comment

can you do angles in micam? i dont see anything like it.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
                            can you do angles in micam? i dont see anything like it.
                            Sorry, I think you are correct, it does not do angles. I am confusing that with some other SW that I had for such stuff. Have to see if I can find that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                              Was wondering if you could recommend anything specific? A poor man's comparator seems very useful to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X