Spindle oil for single lip grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spindle oil for single lip grinder

I have this Lienhard single lip grinder and would like recommendations for what spindle oil to use. It has 2 wicks inside the cup. Stu Click image for larger version

Name:	lienhard.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	758.8 KB
ID:	1853468

Can you find any documents online? What type of bearings, and what is the RPM?

Comment

I would think that any light spindle oil would work.
      I'm I'm thinking along the lines of like Bridgeport spindle oil that's wicked to the bearings.

JL....

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
        Can you find any documents online? What type of bearings, and what is the RPM?
        I can't find any reference other than a few for sale in Europe, it is Swiss made and the spindle speed is 4500 rpm, no idea what bearings are in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post

I can't find any reference other than a few for sale in Europe, it is Swiss made and the spindle speed is 4500 rpm, no idea what bearings are in it.
          Are they plain bearings or ball bearings? I'm tempted to say, some kind of light oil like sewing machine oil or 3-in-1 but I don't want to say that for sure and ruin an expensive thing

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Are they plain bearings or ball bearings? I'm tempted to say, some kind of light oil like sewing machine oil or 3-in-1 but I don't want to say that for sure and ruin an expensive thing
            At 4500 rpm I'm guessing ball bearings.

Comment

Spindle oils have no waxes in them , that is important, especially for high speed spindles
              Oils (many) have wax that builds up in the bearings...a no-no for spindles
              They also have a anti-foamer in them as well
              Use a light weight hydraulic oil/fluid as it has the above characteristics.
              Household oils like 3 in 1 are a crap shoot
              Clear Mineral oils without additives ( such as sulfur) make good spindle lubricators
              Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                Spindle oils have no waxes in them , that is important, especially for high speed spindles
                Oils (many) have wax that builds up in the bearings...a no-no for spindles
                They also have a anti-foamer in them as well
                Use a light weight hydraulic oil/fluid as it has the above characteristics.
                Household oils like 3 in 1 are a crap shoot
                Clear Mineral oils without additives ( such as sulfur) make good spindle lubricators
                Rich
                Thanks Rich, good info.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	spindle oil.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.67 MB
ID:	1853742 Hang on Stu... I have a line on some very fine oil. Meant for high speed. Ill let you know if the deal goes through, freebie.

And other than that I have bought some legitimate spindle oil for my Bridgeport cnc that also reaches safe speeds

DO NOT put anything but Spindle Oil. I am inside and the garage is cold so I will look at the oil that is within the speed range or your mill and mine. My bearings are good ones though. Maybe you dont need that special oil LOL!!!

Kidding. Nice machine.. JR

P. S. Even other "wicking" machines oil may not be correct. They usually dont spin that fast. JR
                  Last edited by JRouche; 02-06-2020, 03:09 PM.
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

How about turbine oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Stu View Post
                      I have this Lienhard single lip grinder and would like recommendations for what spindle oil to use. It has 2 wicks inside the cup. Stu Click image for larger version

Name:	lienhard.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	758.8 KB
ID:	1853468
                      My Kuhlmann SU2 has greased bearings. Manual says lube for life. I was told to use Kluber Isoflex NBU 15 when servicing.

Comment

Single lip grinder spindle oil, if you had a double lip grinder it would require double lip grinder spindle oil.

Incorrect spindle oil selection may harm you neighbors that live in close proximity or cause you considerable existential dread (-:

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                          How about turbine oil?
                          Still pushing that stuff, eh?

Oddly enough and given the very high speeds of turbines (I'm assuming that by "turbines" and oil it's for use in jet engines for the main bearings that run at VERY high speeds) the turbine oil might well be just the right stuff.
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                          X