No announcement yet.

Turning Insert Idedtity

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Turning Insert Idedtity

    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7530.jpg Views:	5 Size:	374.6 KB ID:	1854328Click image for larger version  Name:	image_7531.jpg Views:	5 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	1854329

    I have this tool holder that came with one of my lathes, a Grizzly 4002 12x24. I have had good results with it and wanted to order some more inserts, but the tool holder and the inserts are discontinued! Bummer. There is no ID for them other than the Grizzly part number and I wonder if I knew what the code might be for this maybe I could order some more somewhere else.. I use them for turning steel only. The Grizzly number is G7039
    Thank you for any help. If I can't find replacement inserts, can someone recommend a reasonably priced holder or set of holders. I have "B" series QC tool posts on my lathes.

    Last edited by CPeter; 02-09-2020, 03:53 PM.
    Grantham, New Hampshire

  • #2
    They look old, and assuming they are single sided, a wild guess would be WCMM4 04 R. Right handed inserts are not common now and the hole is smaller than is common now. Are there any numbers on the toolholder?
    The common WNMG08 inserts and compatible holders are much easier to get hold of these days.


    • #3
      WNMG if a negative tool, this is often called a Trigon.


      • #4
        Insert designation chart-
        I just need one more tool,just one!


        • #5
          If you type that number in the Grizzly website, it says what the commercial equivalent is. I have the same tool with my used G4002, and did that a few weeks ago. Not many choices out there. Also have to be sure you get the right hand vs left hand insert correct. For me, I probably won't get any more, didn't cut that well except for roughing. I like the trigon inserts better for roughing, and follow with the TPG for finishing.