3D printed metric gears ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42T ?
    the 37 mates with a 47, if it for this Logan in the thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ringo View Post
      42T ?
      the 37 mates with a 47, if it for this Logan in the thread.
      Yes, these are supposed to be for a logan, Elf sent me the files.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 6.32.48 PM.png
Views:	106
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	1855378

Comment

• Cool,
        I been looking into the button method and cannot find good info. some is metric, some is inch, and no chart that defines what is what,

Comment

Cool,
          I been looking into the button method and cannot find good info. some is metric, some is inch, and no chart that defines what is what,
          The Ivan Law book has it, lemme see if I can dig it out and scan a couple pages for you tomorrow

Comment

• Originally posted by elf View Post
            Inventor is hardly free 😀 I would rather believe Autodesk's top of the line software should be able to produce excellent spur gears given the correct inputs. Learning the correct inputs is the hard part.

I'm aware. I have Inventor. Which is one of the reasons that I can say what I did, previously.

If you do as I recommend ( and actually draw them ) I would have to agree. However, if you are blindly relying upon the available plug-in to do it for you then you are sadly mistaken. ( as warned against )

Have fun.

Comment

• If I attempt a fly cutter D-bit made with the button method, then the buttons are .542" dia and button spacing is .581".
              is this correct?
              72T, 16DP, 14.5PA

Comment

• Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post

I'm aware. I have Inventor. Which is one of the reasons that I can say what I did, previously.

If you do as I recommend ( and actually draw them ) I would have to agree. However, if you are blindly relying upon the available plug-in to do it for you then you are sadly mistaken. ( as warned against )

Have fun.

That's a mighty poor gear for a gear snob to create 😋 I think my first attempt in Inventor turned out a little better...

Name:	47T.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	1855464

Comment

• Originally posted by elf View Post
                  That's a mighty poor gear for a gear snob to create 😋
                  If may have been, if it was a gear. But it is not, so it isn't.

Originally posted by elf View Post
                  I think my first attempt in Inventor turned out a little better...
                  Can't tell. What is the solid supposed to be? Is that created from the sketch? Or, is it some unknown reference? Or...?

Did you draw the Involute? Or, is it from some calculator?** Pictures aren't any good for conveying accuracy of form without some reference to compare with.

As long as you're in there, you might want to use the correct amount of Tip Radius, too.

** - I believe I recognize the output, but I figure you might want to let others be aware.
                  Last edited by Zahnrad Kopf; 02-14-2020, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• May I respectfully suggest that my plastic formed gears seem to have good tooth shape.

Name:	4883913899-3bb39f38db.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	1855546
                    I wonder if in theory the formed gear would have perfect shape, depending on the master gear of course.
                    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 02-14-2020, 03:50 PM.

Comment

• Ok, they are done. The bottoms need trimming to remove the "elephant foot" which is the first layer being a tad wider from squish. On the larger gear. Two teeth lifted off the build plate but won't affect operation.
                      If I was in a pinch and could whip out any gear I needed for 75 cents to turn a short thread on a one off part, I'd be hard pressed not to use one.
                      Total print time however was 6 hours, printing both at the same time. Suppose if your mill was set up and ready to go, could get a steel one done quicker? Flip side is that I was free to do something else for those 6 hours.

Name:	20200214_173537.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	1855579

Comment

• Originally posted by Zahnrad Kopf View Post

Can't tell. What is the solid supposed to be? Is that created from the sketch? Or, is it some unknown reference? Or...?

Did you draw the Involute? Or, is it from some calculator?** Pictures aren't any good for conveying accuracy of form without some reference to compare with.

As long as you're in there, you might want to use the correct amount of Tip Radius, too.

If one could find a reference for the Tip Radius settings, one could add them. Speaking of references, which ones do you recommend for creating a gear by hand?

Comment

• Rb can you put them on a close fitting shaft, turn or spin them and see if they have noticeable run out ?

Comment

• Originally posted by 754 View Post
                            Rb can you put them on a close fitting shaft, turn or spin them and see if they have noticeable run out ?
                            Suppose I could. The 3d printer in positioning shouldn't be any less accurate than a CNC mill.

Comment

• Your in Florida, right?
                              I been wanting to go to JAX and Tampa for awhile.
                              Maybe we can meet up?

Comment

Your in Florida, right?
                                I been wanting to go to JAX and Tampa for awhile.
                                Maybe we can meet up?
                                Sure, I've been home sick, just called in sick to work. Suppose to be going back tomorrow. We can work something out.

Comment

Working...
                                X