A little HBM for the home shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little HBM for the home shop

I thought HBMs only came in Large and Larger. This guy is so cute! 18" table.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_7542.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	1854430
    Last edited by pinstripe; 02-10-2020, 10:48 AM.

That would be a great HSM machine! Never seen one of those before.

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
      That would be a great HSM machine! Never seen one of those before.
      Yeah, I wish I had the space / need (ok, the space ). Seller says it's "rare" - might be true in this case. Has priced it accordingly, $11K Australian, $7,350 US. Plus 10% tax.
      Last edited by pinstripe; 02-10-2020, 10:58 AM.

Comment

After watching what Raymond Menendez does with a HBM on YouTube I'd clean everything out of my shop for one.
        Had no idea they are so versatile!
        Well, talent is required but...
        Kearns-Richards you say?
        Len

Comment

I paid two grand for my Giddings Lewis 25T.
          It is 9,000 pounds of awesome.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

That is cute.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              I paid two grand for my Giddings Lewis 25T.
              It is 9,000 pounds of awesome.

-Doozer
              I am on the search.

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                After watching what Raymond Menendez does with a HBM on YouTube I'd clean everything out of my shop for one.
                Me too! I'm amazed what he can do with that HBM.

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                Kearns-Richards you say?
                Yeah, made in the UK. Model is "S type".
                Last edited by pinstripe; 02-10-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

OK, for those of us that are machine ignorant, what is the acronym HBM stand for? Looking at this machine how does this machine work? The chuck seems small but I'm sure I'm not getting the full picture . The tailstock does seem interesting as to what it might be able to tool up to.

Please educate me, sometimes I'm just slow

TX
                  Mr fixit for ths family
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Fixit View Post
                    OK, for those of us that are machine ignorant, what is the acronym HBM stand for? Looking at this machine how does this machine work? The chuck seems small but I'm sure I'm not getting the full picture . The tailstock does seem interesting as to what it might be able to tool up to.

Please educate me, sometimes I'm just slow

TX
                    Mr fixit for ths family
                    Chris
                    HBM stands for "horizontal boring mill", its basically a boring machine laid horizontally.... usually made in giant sizes. Real handy for things like power plants, trains, and great big stuff. Usually a boring bar of some type in the chuck or maybe a big shell mill. Workpiece usually goes on the table. Here's an great example in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR2p9ceg1bw
                    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 02-10-2020, 12:09 PM.

Comment

It's a Horizontal Boring Mill. The chuck holds the tool. The work is mounted to the table. Like a big boring head in a horizontal mill, but more rigid and able to change the bore size while the machine is running. I think the "tailstock" is for line boring (a boring bar supported at both ends).

Watch some of the videos on this channel to see what it can do https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8_...nvZwJnw/videos

Reading a bit about this machine. It doesn't come with a "quill" like the larger machines do.

Comment

As I understand it, those are pretty rare. That does not mean I do not want one!

I have been using the H-Mill as a sort of HBM, but obviously the stroke and work envelope is pretty tiny. That one would be ideal for things up to reboring or sleeving smaller hit and miss engines, reboring most M/C cylinders/ engines and a lot of similar sized things.

And, as pointed out, for pretty general work per what Mr Menendez shows. You do need tooling.

The smallest size Bullard VTL would be OK too...... as long as we are talking about machines that I do not have room for in the main shop. They would have to go out in the annex/engine shed, which is currently unheated.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

A nearby shop that I sometimes do subcontract work for has several HBM's. Last time I was there one of them had an angle plate on it that was 12 feet tall.

Brian
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
                            A nearby shop that I sometimes do subcontract work for has several HBM's. Last time I was there one of them had an angle plate on it that was 12 feet tall.

Brian
                            There's a shop like that in Buffalo, that I know of, he has a couple of HBM's with tables the size of my house -- as in, you could put my house on the table. He also has a VBM with an 18 foot chuck.

Comment

I wonder if the the table indexes, most do. Think machine one side of cube then table turns 180 and locks to work on other side ! Or 90 degrees.
                              plus you can run a line boring bar thru your work and support the end of bar, at varying heights.

Comment

Working...
                              X