GE 44ton Locomotive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE 44ton Locomotive

Just cleaning up a wheel casting, facing the front and back. Had these castings for a while, had reservations if they were good quality pours or not. Happy to see they are fine.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200211_163528.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	1854799

Name:	20200211_163319.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	1854800

How are you liking the new lathe?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
      How are you liking the new lathe?
      Especially since I did the VFD conversion and variable speed, I have to say it is the nicest lathe I ever owned/used for an import. Keep in mind it is the first lathe I ever used that's bigger than 10".
      Compared to the 10EE, well, it can't compare, it weighs 1/3rd of what the 10EE weighs.
      If the 10EE never fell on my lap, I wouldn't of felt a need for anything else.
      I can machine those wheel blanks with ease, where all the previous lathes I've used for the same task were slow going.
      Bottom line though, for what it costs, it would be silly to buy one over a used industrial machine.

Comment

Are those the wheels from the fellow in Hawaii? We've gone through 5-6 sets from him and they always machine clean. A lot to take off, though, machining allowance seems to be 1/4" on diameter and 1/8 on thickness - per side.

Comment

Originally posted by rkepler View Post
          Are those the wheels from the fellow in Hawaii? We've gone through 5-6 sets from him and they always machine clean. A lot to take off, though, machining allowance seems to be 1/4" on diameter and 1/8 on thickness - per side.
          I can't remember if he is in Hawaii, got them from a post on Chaski live steam forum. Yes, a lot to remove on the hubs.

Comment

So, do you have a pic of this "44 ton" loco? I believe it is an "industrial switcher", that was used in plants, grain elevators, etc, to move a few cars at a time for loading, unloading, etc. I tried a search, but came up empty.

Possibly this type?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3429561543/

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              So, do you have a pic of this "44 ton" loco? I believe it is an "industrial switcher", that was used in plants, grain elevators, etc, to move a few cars at a time for loading, unloading, etc. I tried a search, but came up empty.

Possibly this type?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3429561543/
              The exact one I am modeling. It still exists, even in running condition, some where in NY.

Name:	SSLRR6.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1855109
              Last edited by RB211; 02-12-2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

are you gonna power it with a model deisel engine too??

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                  are you gonna power it with a model deisel engine too??
                  Electric, driven with 3d printed gears of questionable tooth geometry.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

Electric, driven with 3d printed gears of questionable tooth geometry.
                    keep in mind that even if the geometry is wrong the 3d printer will round the corners and you won't have any stress risers from incorrect root geometry.

Comment

Cool, keep us posted on the progress

Comment

The exact one I am modeling. It still exists, even in running condition, some where in NY.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	SSLRR6.jpg Views:	45 Size:	50.3 KB ID:	1855109
                        Wow RB!! I remember seeing that engine as a kid.
                        By the time I started working at WA, the tracks were gone in front of the "old plant" on Jordan road where it used to travel.

A friend of mine's grandfather worked on that short line and that engine.

Here is some info about it's whereabouts:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussi...d.php?2,374576

Sid
                        Last edited by sid pileski; 02-13-2020, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johansen View Post

keep in mind that even if the geometry is wrong the 3d printer will round the corners and you won't have any stress risers from incorrect root geometry.
                          I was being snarky about the 3d printed gears. I fully plan on buying gear cutters and milling my own gears out of steel. However, for testing purposes, 3d printed ones might be utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

Wow RB!! I remember seeing that engine as a kid.
                            By the time I started working at WA, the tracks were gone in front of the "old plant" on Jordan road where it used to travel.

A friend of mine's grandfather worked on that short line and that engine.

Here is some info about it's whereabouts:

https://www.trainorders.com/discussi...d.php?2,374576

Sid
                            I figured you'd get a kick out of it. My dad sold the cabin to the neighbors on either side of it. To say it is not an extremely sore spot with me would be an understatement. How is that South Bend 9c working for you?

Comment

I figured you'd get a kick out of it. My dad sold the cabin to the neighbors on either side of it. To say it is not an extremely sore spot with me would be an understatement. How is that South Bend 9c working for you?
                              That's too bad about the cabin. But, sold it to both neighbors? how does that work out?? Or will they just eventually slit the land up?
                              Anyway, the lathe is in storage as I got it for my daughter. She's still quite busy with her Marine duties.
                              I did however snag the nice little Buck 3 jaw for my use!

Sid

Comment

Working...
                              X