OT - How to Ring My Bell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - How to Ring My Bell

I picked up an old bell at a junk shop (like an antique store, but junkier!) with the intention of hanging it in my shop and ringing it when the mood strikes -celebration, despair, tension breaker, or general amusement. Its 10" in diameter and looks like it was hanging in a school for 50 years.

My problem is that when I attach power, I only get one strike of the hammer - DING! I'd like to have the bell repeat for as long as the power is on - DING-A-LING!!!

I'm guessing I need some kind of switching relay, but I have no idea what to look for. I'm not great with the electric stuff.

Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by kev74; 02-11-2020, 07:06 PM.

Did you pop the cover? might have a built in set of points or something that just need adjustment,,, if a school bell you would think it's built in as that's just how they sounded (repetitive)

Comment

Time was when every house had a doorbell, now it is an internet camera connected to your mobile phone. While someone will no doubt suggest a microprocessor with at least a 16Meg clock in order to cope with the complex programming involved I'm inclined to think it needs an external visible actuator using multiple gears in the style of Heath Robinson. (can't remember the name of the equivalent person in the western colony). You could knock something up in Meccano.
      We have a few youngsters at work, Directors even who are barely 30. I keep finding out how small their vocabulary is and that they know little of many commonplace items of 'old' technology. I must try them on this.

Comment

Originally posted by kev74 View Post
        I picked up an old bell .....
        . Its 10' in diameter and looks like it was hanging in a school for 50 years.

Any help is appreciated!
        With a 10 foot bell, I can understand why you would appreciate any help!
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Ohm it out to see if coil is ok. Maybe just an adjustment like on a hair clipper. Is that a screw driver hole under Sept? Is there a hum when power applied?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
            Did you pop the cover? might have a built in set of points or something that just need adjustment,,, if a school bell you would think it's built in as that's just how they sounded (repetitive)
            No points. Just a simple coil that throws the hammer.

Comment

You could probably rig up a microswitch to the armature of the ringer. It would be normally closed and wired in series with the AC line to the coil. When the ringer (clapper) pulls in and strikes the bell, it breaks the circuit and it drops back out to whack the ding-a-ling once more. The frequency will be determined by the stiffness of the spring and the mass of the striker.

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

With a 10 foot bell, I can understand why you would appreciate any help!
                Fixed it. Thanks.

Apparently my good looks have allowed me to skate by with less than marginal typing skills. 😁

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                  You could probably rig up a microswitch to the armature of the ringer. It would be normally closed and wired in series with the AC line to the coil. When the ringer (clapper) pulls in and strikes the bell, it breaks the circuit and it drops back out to whack the ding-a-ling once more. The frequency will be determined by the stiffness of the spring and the mass of the striker.

I'm hoping there is some kind of switch that I can wire up in-line. I'm assuming the controller that something like this was run on in a school would have had the switch built in and would send interrupted current to the bell. But I have no idea what kind of switch or control to look for.

Chuck Berry has been running through my head since I got this thing!

Comment

That's a single stroke gong for coded & march time ringing service.

Now you cut some code wheels, mount them on a shaft and use a microswitch with an arc suppression diode across the contacts to make it Ding ding dingding.

Little experimentation you can have people marching in line and in cadence.

Comment

At one of my employer's there were some energetic young guys who's favorite saying was, "It's a bellLLL ringer!" And they had a big bell, bell tower style bell, with a leather lanyard.

IT GOT OLD REAL FAST!
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Relay? No.

Old fashioned answer = 555 timer IC.

Modern answer = Ardunio, etc. If you want super cheap = PICaxe.

Originally posted by kev74 View Post
                        I picked up an old bell at a junk shop (like an antique store, but junkier!) with the intention of hanging it in my shop and ringing it when the mood strikes -celebration, despair, tension breaker, or general amusement. Its 10" in diameter and looks like it was hanging in a school for 50 years.

My problem is that when I attach power, I only get one strike of the hammer - DING! I'd like to have the bell repeat for as long as the power is on - DING-A-LING!!!

I'm guessing I need some kind of switching relay, but I have no idea what to look for. I'm not great with the electric stuff.

Any help is appreciated!
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

How will solid state handle the spike coming back from the coil of the bell as the flux field collapses?

Comment

I see it is AC only and if it 'dings' when power is switched on the coil of obviously intact.

My advice (which may be worth what you pay for it) is to loosen the centre bolt, apply the AC and turn the gong looking for the spot where the bell rings.

Comment

Electronic circuits for this are a bit extreme. Why not use your machining and mechanical skills to duplicate the simple electromechanical doorbells from the 1940s-1960s. Well explained here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_bell

Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-DoorBell_001.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	1854932
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	220px-Electric_Bell_animation.gif
Views:	268
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	1854933
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png