Magneto Powered Cigar Lighter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magneto Powered Cigar Lighter.

I saw one in the New Altlas Bar in Columbus Montana. For those of you that have been the two headed calf is unforgettable !
    Back to the lighter, what I remember wax what I thought was a magneto, but seeing Pauls pic of the phone ringer made me go hmmmmm ?
    Had a Flywheel you spun, THEN A FAT SPARK AND ? I THINK A FLAME ? Not sure on flame but once you got spark you can use old lighter parts.
    So anybody know for sure how they work , it seemed simple and a century old, but I need a bit more info..
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 754; 02-12-2020, 10:03 PM.

Piezoelectric would be a lot easier. All the components are available in kit form from the Dollar store in a firematch. Even the butane tank & burner are there.

Comment

A lighter would be easier, I want to make it with a magneto..

Comment

You could get a magneto from a chainsaw, lawn mower, or weed whacker, and just rig up a magnet on a flywheel driven by gears or belts. Should be enough for a good spark, but I doubt it would light a cigarette without some sort of accelerant. Maybe put a match head in the tips of your smokes - might give them a particular flavor that may help you quit your filthy habit.

The telephone ringer essentially creates about 60-100 VAC at 20-50 Hz. I still have one with a 3 watt lamp attached, that will glow when cranked. I got it from my father when I was a child. You could use that output to provide 6-12 VDC for one of the many high voltage spark modules which produce continuous sparks of 50 to 200 kV or more, easily enough to light your cigarette (or put your lights out)

Or this (but only the name is magneto:
        https://sportsgearcentral.com/magneto-x/

https://www.amazon.com/BOLT-Lighter%.../dp/B01LXHOMRN

Last edited by PStechPaul; 02-13-2020, 01:19 AM.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

one of these float yer cigar for you?

Comment

I once had an electric toothbrush that I converted into a lighter. I used a coil of fairly fine element wire and a microswitch to control the current. I've often thought about a hand powered model- the big question of course is whether you can make enough electricity in a compact device to light the coil up. It would seem obvious these days to use super magnets, and perhaps a super cap would be part of it as well.

I have a hand powered flashlight- it takes a bit of pumping to keep the leds bright, and I wonder if a more efficient version of the actual generator within it would give enough juice to light a cigar or whatever- this unit uses a motor that you'd find in a cd player as its generator. Not very efficient, and the gear train feels like it's going to break at any time. If I could pump it for a bit while it charges a super cap, then short that into a heating coil there might be enough energy. This is going to get bulky, it would seem- now we're looking for a modern version of a compact but powerful generator, plus an equally compact and powerful method of supplying some real torque to turn it.

One idea that intrigues me is that whatever power is inputted to the device is eventually turned into heat, regardless of where in the mechanism it is dissipated. This would be distributed through the gear train, the bearings, resistance losses, etc, and in the generator itself. If all of that heat could be concentrated in one small spot without all those loss points, that could become your 'hot plate'. Maybe we need to look at a different way of getting the hand power into a concentrated hot zone. The fire piston idea comes to mind-
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I have a repo cigar lighter that is apparently copied from an 1890s design. It has battery and hit/miss engine style buzz coil in base. Pulling lever to open wick cover also energizes buzz coil and electrode next to kerosene fed wick lights it. Release lever to extinguish flame. A hand cranked phone magneto might provide the same ignition for a wick. Or maybe fire a coil with it for better spark.

Comment

That looks like a great metalworking and woodworking project.

Check this out:

USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I've seen one many years ago that was based on a hand cranked magneto similar to the ones used to power old style telephones.
                  The output was simply connected to a coil of nichrome wire, not quite like what we see today but very similar. No spark or flame though, just resistance to heat the coil.
                  Actually I have a very similar unit although battery powered.
                  The one pictured below is not a lighter but it was somewhat the same.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

That Willy , he knows what I mean.... not trying to reinvent.. but real mag and even wick and fluid will work for me..

Comment

Wow- that magneto looks just like the one I hand-cranked to call home from Africa back in '69. The 'call box' stood at a corner where two roads crossed, about 3 miles from where we lived. A wooden box with a window housed the magneto, and you could see the inner workings. I had quite a conversation with the operator during the process of making the call.

We also had a pretty unforgettable experience sitting in the van while waiting for the call back. There was a bit of a dip where the two roads crossed, and we had basically parked in the hollow. As was typical, a violent rainstorm happened and the water began to fill up the dip, rising to the bottom of the van doors before the rain stopped and it began draining away. By the time the phone rang again with my connection to Canada, the water was almost gone and I got back to the booth withoug getting wet.

A modern magneto of sorts- cannibalize a cordless drill. Put a crank handle in the chuck and take power from the motor terminals.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I only want to use a magneto or the phone thing. It probably just used the mag spark against a wick and reservoir. ,

SO I take it no one on here has been to the New Altas.. it's west of Biilings like 15 or 20 miles and about six south of I 90.

Comment

Hand crank flashlight, nichrome wire, and a pair of extra hands.
                          Mike
                          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                            I've seen one many years ago that was based on a hand cranked magneto similar to the ones used to power old style telephones.
                            The output was simply connected to a coil of nichrome wire, not quite like what we see today but very similar. No spark or flame though, just resistance to heat the coil.
                            Actually I have a very similar unit although battery powered.
                            The one pictured below is not a lighter but it was somewhat the same.

Nice looking oilers on the bushings

You could try a hand crank megaohm meter for magneto.
                            Helder Ferreira
                            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Those old telephone crank magnetos are getting very high prices on eBay, and Meggers are probably even more expensive and less common. Unless you happen to find one that has been thrown in the trash, or badly damaged, it would be much less expensive to pursue another option.
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X