• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are these cutters?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0102a.JPG
Views:	512
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1855358 A friend bought me some cutters and these are in the group. What are they used for?
    Peter
    Grantham, New Hampshire

Reminds me of solid carbide flush trim bits for woodworking:
    https://www.amazon.com/Freud-Solid-C.../dp/B00004T7JS

Just a resemblance though, dunno what those are

Comment

I think those are made so you can drill through sheet goods (plywood, etc.), then cut out an inside hole. Maybe a sink cutout in a countertop, for example.

Comment

I think I've seen those sold for trimming counter top laminates. You'd use them with a router. The pointed end lets you drill down through the middle then the pilot lets you run the cut around something like a sink cutout.

There are two cutting levels for times when you are flush cutting both the top surface and the stabilizing lower laminate.

Of course it could do the same job with other things like veneer or thin paneling too.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
          I think I've seen those sold for trimming counter top laminates. You'd use them with a router. The pointed end lets you drill down through the middle then the pilot lets you run the cut around something like a sink cutout.

There are two cutting levels for times when you are flush cutting both the top surface and the stabilizing lower laminate.

Of course it could do the same job with other things like veneer or thin paneling too.
          they look a little big for that and they have what appears to be a center bearing surface between the cutouts. To me that dismisses the thought of them being used for cutting circular holes in plywood.

JL......

Comment

It will be a couple of months before I get them. When I do, I'll take close up photos and measurements. They do look too large to go in a router.
            Peter
            Last edited by CPeter; 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM. Reason: Spelling
            Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by CPeter View Post
              It will be a couple of months before I get them. When I do, I'll take close up photos and measurements. They do look too large to ge in a rounter.
              Peter
              Called panel pilot router bits, used tons of them in camper factory to cut window and door openings.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                they look a little big for that and they have what appears to be a center bearing surface between the cutouts. To me that dismisses the thought of them being used for cutting circular holes in plywood.

JL......
                Not for the actual holes in the base wood. For trimming the Formica or other brand laminates used for the finish. And often, on better jobs, to stop any warpage the bottoms re finished with a stabilizing laminate as well. That's where the center bearing surface comes in for the times needed to cut two skins at the same time.

Myself I've only seen the types intended for cutting just the top laminate. But those cutters looked just like the lower portion of these two. But those bits looked the exact same other than only having the pointed "drill" and one trimming section. But it's that similarity that makes me suspect that they are for this type of work.
                Last edited by BCRider; 02-14-2020, 01:23 PM.
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Not for the actual holes in the base wood. For trimming the Formica or other brand laminates used for the finish. And often, on better jobs, to stop any warpage the bottoms re finished with a stabilizing laminate as well. That's where the center bearing surface comes in for the times needed to cut two skins at the same time.

Myself I've only seen the types intended for cutting just the top laminate. But those cutters looked just like the lower portion of these two. But those bits looked the exact same other than only having the pointed "drill" and one trimming section. But it's that similarity that makes me suspect that they are for this type of work.
                  Yes, I have a small laminate trimmer for Formica tops.
                  The cutters are 1/4" and so is the shank. Those look a bit bigger, if I were to guess they might be 1/2" shank. I can see the double cutting flute to trim top and bottom at the same time with the center bearing surface adding to the stability and preventing it from digging in. However, I've never seen a counter top with Formica on top and bottom. So maybe they were some special use cutter.
                  For CNC routers that cut out holes and shapes in laminates, melamine and veneers these are used.

JL.................
                  Last edited by JoeLee; 02-14-2020, 01:48 PM.

Comment

At one time better quality office desks were made with the balancing layer glued on the bottom of the common MDF fill.... But I'm going back a LOT Of years now. I doubt anyone bothers any longer. No one makes desks with laminates any more. It's all machine finished laid directly on the panel stuff now. Some of it might still be melamine layers but it's not done as a layer of separate laminate like years ago. But then these cutters might be from years ago too?
                    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

That's what I was thinking. They build a frame with 2x lumber so it is only 1.5" thick. Frame in the window openings. Add the skins on both sides. Then plunge in with this bit and rout both skins for that window opening at the same time.

The pilot section in the middle is just that. It rides on the 2x frame so only the two skins are cut.

Probably a special tool made for a camper factory.

And I bet they are dull now, from use.

Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

A pure guess: Could they be routers used for cutting out shapes in multiple layers of particle board on a CNC machine? The tips would allow for plunging, and the sides for moving along a planned path and allowing clearing of the waste?
                        S E Michigan

Comment

Paul, you could well be onto a good use for these with your RV idea. My own guess is based on the single ended version that I know for sure was listed as for trimming laminates. And these with the double cutting edges and double guides would serve well for the same thing. This would especially be a good call if they are bigger than the 1/4" shank single ended ones too. A 1/2" router with these would literally zip through window and door cuts on the body of a new construction RV
                          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            That's what I was thinking. They build a frame with 2x lumber so it is only 1.5" thick. Frame in the window openings. Add the skins on both sides. Then plunge in with this bit and rout both skins for that window opening at the same time.

The pilot section in the middle is just that. It rides on the 2x frame so only the two skins are cut.

Probably a special tool made for a camper factory.

And I bet they are dull now, from use.

Guess what, I live in a trailer (mobile home). And I guarantee that is how the place is built, using these bits. And clutch bit screws.

Comment

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post

Called panel pilot router bits, used tons of them in camper factory to cut window and door openings.
                              Whats odd about this place is when a knowledgeable person gives the OP the answer he needed there are still seven other posts still trying to figure it out LOL.. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X