No announcement yet.

Emco maximat v10 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beware when being seduced to the dark side using a VFD. The cooling fan blade fixed to the motor shaft should be removed and a constant speed fan fitted to the end of the fan casing. Usually the 120mm square fans used in computer power supplies suffice. Verily, if you allow a VFD to slow the motor down for lower revs, lack of sufficient cooling allows the magic smoke to escape and to have an Emco two speed motor rewound is somewhat costly on the wallet IF modern motor shops have the ability and knowledge to do this.

Regards Ian.
    You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LapRocket View Post

the chap at the motor shop said it was hooked up via 3 phase and ran and works perfectly.

just the fact i apparently cannot use it through a VFD and i thought that was incorrect going off what others have mentioned
      It will work with a VFD, if you go that way. It may be safer not to ever switch speeds with the motor switch unless the VFD is off. But any 3 phase motor will work with a VFD so long as the insulation stands the "spikes". Most seem to set the motor up for high speed and use the VFD for slower.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

yep... My neighbor has my old V10P with that motor running on a vfd.

Comment

On my EMCO I used Hi Speed and a VFD, remember you still have the gearbox. Used the old rotary switch for the VFD on - off and
          FW-Rev. I still liked my Static/RPC better!
          Last edited by wmgeorge; 02-20-2020, 06:43 PM.
          Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
            On my EMCO I used Hi Speed and a VFD, remember you still have the gearbox. Used the old rotary switch for the VFD on - off and
            FW-Rev. I still liked my Static/RPC better!
            On my Emco I have to use a rotary phase converter. His 10 would be more useful for me at this point. Very flexible as long as you have a group of seriously knowledgeable folks like you guys.

So forever my rotary will spin, at least its quiet-ish. JR
            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Thanks all.
              i am awaiting the vfd to get repaired and sent back and will post pics and ask for those that have done it what wires that i have got to what and where. Plan was to have vfd wired to a rotary switch so i could use it for either the mill motor or the lathe motor then onto the motors direct. Firat things first tho and lathe is main objective

Comment

The mill motor is tiny. You would be much better off just wiring in a small vfd or just following what emco does with single phase versions (non-usa) and places a capacitor between two legs to make it work on single phase.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                  The mill motor is tiny. You would be much better off just wiring in a small vfd or just following what emco does with single phase versions (non-usa) and places a capacitor between two legs to make it work on single phase.

sounds like a plan.

Can you possibly private message me with any details if possible and if you have the same lathe motor as i think you said before exactly how i should put what colors where.

As for the mill i can run it direct to 240 that would be great so any more for that with what i need and how would be amazing. Again if you could private message me details (i am far from the sharpest tool in the shed) so i could follow that would be amazing.

Thanks again a heap

Comment

Lakeside. These components from where ever are delicate and designed for the tool.

My limited knowledge says dont rip apart the V10 electronics.

If you do that you are an idiot. JR

I can fix an Emco or 10EE.

I just dont like seeing them parted.

LOL. Do you know how long it takes to find bulbs (rectifier tubes) for a 1946 Lathe?? Yes. Too long.

I did find some. Brand new in box, go figure. GE bulbs. Ok.. Bulbs, tubes valves, switches.

I got lucky, I tested all of them, in the =machine.

The Purple glow from 2 rectifiers. Its a very nice site.

The best prt is when the lathe starts to run. Think of a sewing machine at slow speed.

Its kinda like a sewing machine. My other lathes cant respond like the 10ee
                    sewing machine/

Stops and starts at the same pace. And dont tell anyone, its small. 20" (between centers) Lathe, JR

Comment

huh? there are no Electronics on a V10 or V10P. The switch array is mechanical. interlocked and truly awful... cannot be "repaired" and is the most common failure point on a V10. In any case, the OP wants to run it all on single phase, not three phase, so something has to change.
                      Last edited by lakeside53; 02-24-2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Laprocket : I'll get back to you on details, but I'm buried night and day at work right now. Probably next week.

Comment

Laprocket : I'll get back to you on details, but I'm buried night and day at work right now. Probably next week.
                          Thanks a heap

And yes i was not going to run the mech switch just control through the vfd.

Comment

huh? there are no Electronics on a V10 or V10P. The switch array is mechanical. interlocked and truly awful... cannot be "repaired" and is the most common failure point on a V10. In any case, the OP wants to run it all on single phase, not three phase, so something has to change.
                            Oh, sorry. Didnt know there were no electronics. That should be easier. JR

Comment

Ok so here we are. Its been an age but i finally got my 2.2 kw vfd and hooked it all up.
                              now
                              she works and i am happy about that but i am noticing the motor is hot enough i cannot hold hand against it for ecen a second.
                              next point is when i turn it on it fires up in all gearing speeds except the highest speed. Any pointers by any chance peeps. Thanks again

@lakeside any ideas?
                              Last edited by LapRocket; 05-17-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Your motor is not going to be happy that hot - it will fail. Remember, it's getting hot when under no material load so something is wrong. Exactly what CURRENT does your VFD show for each of the three phases? Are you connected in high speed or low speed configuration? Take your drive belt off the motor - does it still get hot?

The high gear startup is always a problem on the V10 IF the oil is too thick OR the temperature is too low. Are you using ISO 22? or SAE 10? In Cold climates (probably not yours) put a light bulb directed onto the case so it get to at least room temperature.

Comment

Working...
                                X