No announcement yet.

OT Do you smell a rat in an ebay sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Do you smell a rat in an ebay sale?

The other week, I put in a bid for some carbide inserts on ebay. The start price was £9.99 plus postage. I bid £25 and when the listing ended, the supposed selling price had been £36. I have lots of inserts, so loosing was no big deal, and I had no intention of entering a last minute bidding war. What is strange is the email from ebay telling me that the item has been relisted with the same start price of £9.99.

He probably has multiple lots. Usually they will have a friend bid it up in hopes of you entering a bidding war. Stick to your maximum, don't have any emotions.

Comment

I've had dip$hits back out of sale before, after the auction closes. Its a low life move, but what are you going to do? Or may its his way selling multiples?

an auction is a bidding war.....I always bid at the end, less chance for the competition to start mulling over how much they really want it.
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-14-2020, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Yah I've had that happen before. The seller was on my list of favored sellers before the auction. I took them off my list afterwards.

They had listed a lot of various files, with wood handles, all appeared to have been well-kept. Every size and shape that I would need. Bidding started at $50, which I could see for a dozen used files. I waited until one minute before the auction close and bit $55. At two seconds before the close, somebody bid $100. For a dozen used Nicholson files.

Furious, I said to myself, I could buy brand new ones for that. So I did, I bought a dozen Grobet Vallorbe files, and a box of handles at MSC. Why pay for used cutting tools, anyway?

Comment

Surely you can't relist something you have just sold?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
            Surely you can't relist something you have just sold?
            Either they have multiple lots, or the previous sale fell through. Often there are fellows gaming the system with their friends -- they'll get a friend to bid it up, or simply use a fake account on another computer. I wish they would simply list the price they wish to get.

Comment

The scenario the poster mentioned was happening 20 years ago to me on Ebay.
              Even had sellers (multiple times) come back to me after I lost the bid, and would sell me the item at my last bid price ?
              So either the high bidder failed, or more likely ----- they had a shill who bid up the price and I did not top his last shill bid, so they knew I was maxed out.
              The "relisting" may be Ebays way of stopping that ?
              I don't buy on Ebay any more
              I buy on Amazon.....and even there, games are played. Not saying it's Amazon as they represent sellers who may not play fair
              Rich

Comment

If you don't want a last minute bidding war, why are you even on eBay ?
                many sellers have multiple lots. Check his history of finished sales and sellthrough. You can run identical lots 6 times after the other and get different pricing every time. He probably will sell at 9.99 unless folks keep bidding it up. There are tool store with fixed pricing if that works better for you..

Comment

On ebay, it's either "buy it now", or I move on.

Comment

What annoys me is a seller with a low start price getting only one bid and then withdrawing the item just before the auction ends, why don't they just start with a price they would accept in the first place?
                    I have just bought a box of SHG CCGT 120404 inserts for aluminium for £22 post paid, a reasonable price, I think, for a buy it now.

Comment

If you don't like eBay prices, check out Kennemetal... might make you walk funny for a week.. but he no monkeying around on pricing..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                        If you don't like eBay prices, check out Kennemetal... might make you walk funny for a week.. but he no monkeying around on pricing..
                        post of the day!

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                        On ebay, it's either "buy it now", or I move on.
                        In thinking about it, that is what I do now. haven't bid on an auction in a year. Biggest frustration imo is the hidden reserve price. How asinine! Ebay should impose it such that if there's a minimum you'll take, fine, but make that the bloody start bid so you don't waste peoples time.

of course the counter argument is the low start is needed to create hype.....but if the model requires small brains so abasedly manipulated, I opt out. (well, I may have a small brain, but you piss it off when you try manipulate it....never a good thing to do to your customer)
                        Last edited by Mcgyver; 02-14-2020, 12:23 PM.

Comment

And you won't have to come on here and ask if they are any good !

Comment

Yep, couple years ago I bid on an Ebay item that started at about $15 US and quickly went to $45. A little annoyed, I put in a $75 bid which was probably 3 times its actual value. Later, just before close, it was at about $275. What a joke! Had to be a false bidder.

A week later, the same piece of junk was again offered. Began to suspect this guy is just posting pictures taken off the internet as the exact pic came up on a goolge search unrelated to Ebay. C'mon, this isn't at all like an auction with gamers like this. Soured me on Ebay. Too bad a few idiots can ruin a good concept.
                            S E Michigan

Comment

another bidder can put in a higher bid, ahead of time, and it does not show up until after it surpassed your bid.

Comment

Working...
                              X