Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT Do you smell a rat in an ebay sale?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by RB211 View Post
    On ebay, it's either "buy it now", or I move on.
    Same here if am buying off eBay,could not find elsewhere

    Comment


    • #17
      People don't put on a minimum price or a starting bid 'cos I think both cost extra. Not sure if they charge for a sudden removal. Perhaps some regular sellers can enlighten us on the various charges.

      Comment


      • #18
        The thing about EBay that really bugs me is that they allow a seller to post an item for, let's say, $5 and the shipping price is $99.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by RB211 View Post
          On ebay, it's either "buy it now", or I move on.
          THIS X2. After my previous experience, I go for a "buy it now" or no sale. There's plenty of clowns out there gaming the system, and others with nothing better to do with their time and money.

          Comment


          • #20
            I think auctions are most appropriate for unique items with little intrinsic value and no other equivalent products available, like art and antiques. I am not much interested in such things, so I usually choose "Buy It Now", as well as free or cheap shipping, and USA source. Some items also have a "Make Offer" option, which I have used occasionally, and reasonable offers are often accepted. Most likely if you combine with other items from same seller.
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Canyonman View Post
              The thing about EBay that really bugs me is that they allow a seller to post an item for, let's say, $5 and the shipping price is $99.
              I have learned that 5 and 99 equals 104. Now I know the price is 104.. now i decide if its worth it or not. . Pretty easy really..

              Comment


              • #22
                The highest rates for postage seem to be from the USA to the UK. I just don't know why they bother.

                Comment


                • #23
                  I put in an offer of £16 for 9 CCGT 120402 ALU inserts by Omega and it has been accepted, I also have £1.50 postage. So today, I have bought 19 inserts for £39.50. The two lots have different tip rads. I already have inserts for steel, stainless and cast iron in this shape, but no alu until now. We have three right hand holders and one lefthand, it is one of my favourite shapes. They are also good for light cuts on steel and stainless as well as aluminium.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by old mart View Post
                    The highest rates for postage seem to be from the USA to the UK. I just don't know why they bother.
                    Postage from Oz is slightly worse, but not much. A couple years ago, I collected a good number of handheld thread chasers in BSF and early Whitworth sizes. The shipping from Oz was equal to the sale price, the shipping from the UK was slightly less.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      It always used to amuse me seeing the large quantity of tooling on ebay UK from Australia. The postage was very high as you say, but every item looked as if it had been stored at the bottom of a billabong for six months before putting up for sale.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by old mart View Post
                        It always used to amuse me seeing the large quantity of tooling on ebay UK from Australia. The postage was very high as you say, but every item looked as if it had been stored at the bottom of a billabong for six months before putting up for sale.
                        You know, it is strange and frustrating. I live directly upon the border with Canada, I could walk across if I was so inclined. But not today, it's 7 degrees F outside (-14c) and 8 inches (200mm) of snow...

                        You would think it would be easy for me to get British tooling because of this, but no -- Canada seems to be it's own country in this regard. Beautiful place, though.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

                          You know, it is strange and frustrating. I live directly upon the border with Canada, I could walk across if I was so inclined. But not today, it's 7 degrees F outside (-14c) and 8 inches (200mm) of snow...

                          You would think it would be easy for me to get British tooling because of this, but no -- Canada seems to be it's own country in this regard. Beautiful place, though.
                          Um, try -45C wind chill, not good for walking outside in open areas.
                          As for Brit tooling, we do have the elephant (USA) in the bed.....
                          Not much need for Whitworth stuff.
                          Fun anyhoo.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Canyonman View Post
                            The thing about EBay that really bugs me is that they allow a seller to post an item for, let's say, $5 and the shipping price is $99.
                            I use the lowest price with shipping feature and never wade far enough to get to the $5 + $99 shipping guys.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I mostly use the "Buy it now" function. However, a couple of weeks ago I picked up a nice Starrett 670B Hole Attachment for an indicator for $31 via auction. I only bid in the last 10 seconds (usually less) and enter the max of what I would pay in a BIT offering.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by oldstarfire View Post

                                Um, try -45C wind chill, not good for walking outside in open areas.
                                As for Brit tooling, we do have the elephant (USA) in the bed.....
                                Not much need for Whitworth stuff.
                                Fun anyhoo.
                                Ouch! Guessing that you're considerably north and west of me. I'm about an hour out of Toronto, on the American side.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X