OT priorities in life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Is he any different that some of the others that a few here worship? Abomb,,NYcNc, etc., etc., guys who get viewers to pay just to watch them. Kind of like a NYC, Times Square Peep Show. Don't forget the Patreon page and the channel merchandise.
    None of the well known machinists on YouTube were successes over night. They kept presenting educational videos that people watched to learn something. After a few years, their subscriber counts grew to sustainable levels while keeping their day jobs.
    To be quite frank, it still seems like a horrible way to make money, even for Abom79's 300k+ viewership.

Look up ChrisFix, he does pure educational stuff on fixing cars. Learned how to replace my Prius battery. He has 6 million subscribers. In his category, he is 3rd to the likes of MotorTrend and another big name. Sure, he makes a good living, but he is the top .01%

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Is he any different that some of the others that a few here worship? Abomb,,NYcNc, etc., etc., guys who get viewers to pay just to watch them. Kind of like a NYC, Times Square Peep Show. Don't forget the Patreon page and the channel merchandise.
      Nope, the deal is the same for all of them. This guy doesn't have a patreon and doesn't have many ads, so he probably isn't making much off this video... probably enough to break even on the engine. But that is more than zero. I would be thrilled if I could break even on my metalworking.

EDIT: RB211 nailed it, its not much of a "living" on youtube, and its a lot of work on top of a day job and everything else.

Comment

I suppose it's silly to ask if that mower is street legal. Or if that's moonshiner country, street legal would take all the fun out of it.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
          I suppose it's silly to ask if that mower is street legal. Or if that's moonshiner country, street legal would take all the fun out of it.
          Looks like they're far enough out in the sticks that it doesn't matter. Might as well be moonshiner country anyways even if its someplace like Nebraska

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
            ah come on, what else is there to do after he finished all the landscaping projects and cleaned up the yard but put a V8 in garden tractor?
            OK well I wouldn't hire him to do my yard but maybe it's an aesthetic thing? An early crap motif.

The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

None of the well known machinists on YouTube were successes over night. They kept presenting educational videos that people watched to learn something. After a few years, their subscriber counts grew to sustainable levels while keeping their day jobs.
              To be quite frank, it still seems like a horrible way to make money, even for Abom79's 300k+ viewership.
              Maybe some people think that it is better then working for some a-hole boss or corporation.

I took early retirement to get away from all that. The hours are great but the pay really sucks............................................. still worth it.
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

Maybe some people think that it is better then working for some a-hole boss or corporation.

I took early retirement to get away from all that. The hours are great but the pay really sucks............................................. still worth it.
                Yuup. I would love to do that, for those exact reasons. I don't owe the economy anything. Problem is how to pay the bills meanwhile? So... I gotta hang in there and keep on going regardless.

Comment

Yeah, saw that a few years ago and I'm impressed.He's obviously dialed the steering and suspension in a bit as it does appear to handle the power amazingly well. Hey it's an adrenaline machine, nothing more, nothing less. He did it to impress himself, not to make money or get a following on social media. Just using what he had laying around the yard to get some thrills. I'm glad he at least documented it for others so inclined to enjoy.
                  Hey at least that iron isn't laying on the lawn anymore. LOL

Some folks get their thrill out of a well manicured lawn and perfectly sculpted shrubbery, obviously not this guy. Never stop feeding the spirit in your heart.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                  Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Have to wonder about Vid. Never saw any indication of heat or exhaust. The engine torque not apparent.

Comment

If the engine is running properly nothing should be evident from the exhaust. Flames or smoke would indicate a tuning issue.
                      The engine is most likely solidly mounted so the only indication of torque and power would come from the acceleration, looks like it was evident that both qualities were present in copious amounts.

Comment

Are there pictures of the machine other than just from above? My guess is that there is very little of the lawn mower there other than sheet metal. It appears to be the original front axle with king pins and no sign of springs or shocks. How can it corner at that apparent speed? It just looks fishy from my point of view.
                        Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I believe the video is real for a couple reasons ---- First off - his Go-pro camera is making the "appropriate wind sounds" in it's pick up sound vents, Mine used to do the same thing on my helmet cam until I just put a piece of scotch tape over the vent - it acts as a sound diaphragm and still transmits almost as much sound but no wind noise at all, the wind sounds in the vid match speed perfectly, would be lot's of good "dubbing" for people that don't even know about the effect,,,

secondly --- he does a whole shot in his driveway after coming back from the test run, if you notice --- the ground is normal --- he guns it - throws it a little sideways - looks back real quick and the evidence is on the dirt in fact why he looked back to see what he did --- not only is the evidence on the dirt - it matches the sideways drift of the rear wheels... again - pretty good attention to detail if it was a hoax,

I too agree though I thought id see more action from the open headers esp. the short stack front two - my guess is if it was nighttime we would have - and with that small of cart maybe he was only using 1/4 throttle or all hell would have broke loose lol

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                            I believe the video is real for a couple reasons ---- First off - his Go-pro camera is making the "appropriate wind sounds" in it's pick up sound vents, Mine used to do the same thing on my helmet cam until I just put a piece of scotch tape over the vent - it acts as a sound diaphragm and still transmits almost as much sound but no wind noise at all, the wind sounds in the vid match speed perfectly, would be lot's of good "dubbing" for people that don't even know about the effect,,,

secondly --- he does a whole shot in his driveway after coming back from the test run, if you notice --- the ground is normal --- he guns it - throws it a little sideways - looks back real quick and the evidence is on the dirt in fact why he looked back to see what he did --- not only is the evidence on the dirt - it matches the sideways drift of the rear wheels... again - pretty good attention to detail if it was a hoax,

I too agree though I thought id see more action from the open headers esp. the short stack front two - my guess is if it was nighttime we would have - and with that small of cart maybe he was only using 1/4 throttle or all hell would have broke loose lol
                            Its Thomas Barker, its real. His channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEs...j7UQPl7JrMe50g

Plenty of V8 powered lawn tractors in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

Its Thomas Barker, its real. His channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEs...j7UQPl7JrMe50g

Plenty of V8 powered lawn tractors in the USA.
                              Yes indeed there are, see them all the time at at tractor pulls in the wilder side of garden tractor pullers that use everything from motorcycle engines to alcohol injected big block V-8s as a source of motivation.

Vectorwarbirds' link led me to another V-8 powered lawn tractor, however this one is a bit more refined, buddy even has a nice looking lawn and yard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k6eVEBMH1M

Comment

Totally insane and funnier than crap lol he's either batching it or has one understanding bride lol

would have been priceless to see the neighbors out shaking their heads in disbelief as he drove bye... you have to love it - you just have too...

Comment

Working...
                                X