A bronze diamond is priceless !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bronze diamond is priceless !!

I saw one of Joe Pie's videos, specifically the one he made a brass diamond with a spin indexer.
    I got a chunk of bronze stock and tried that myself. After couple days, several setups, couple re-do's.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200218_000146.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	810.6 KB
ID:	1856083

Name:	20200218_000228.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	824.1 KB
ID:	1856084

I showed it to the wife, she was enamored with it. We talked a bit, she asked about getting a better finish (machine finish), the top is better than the bottom.
    I told her, to get a brighter finish, I need a better mill.
    She said OK, go ahead. 🤔
    Maybe I'll make a couple more for her friends. !!
    Not too bad I'm thinking.
    Last edited by Ringo; 02-18-2020, 12:30 AM.

Pictures aren't showing for me.

Comment

now??

Comment

pics show up fine for me.

Nice!

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Looks good now.

Comment

That is super neat. I love it.

Don't they lap real diamonds to polish/finish them? Diamond dust abrasive on a rotating platter?

And just how big is the one you are going to make on that larger mill?
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

very cool

Comment

Thanks for sharing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                  That is super neat. I love it.

Don't they lap real diamonds to polish/finish them? Diamond dust abrasive on a rotating platter?

And just how big is the one you are going to make on that larger mill?
                  He doesn't need to make them bigger on the bigger mill, he just worked his wife to get the OK to get one. He can just make more little ones on the mill he has, then polish them up to look good and claim it was the bigger mill that allowed that. I like his style.

Comment

yup, getting the wife to green-light a new mill was........,,,priceless !

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                      I saw one of Joe Pie's videos, specifically the one he made a brass diamond with a spin indexer.
                      I got a chunk of bronze stock and tried that myself. After couple days, several setups, couple re-do's.

Name:	20200218_000146.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	810.6 KB
ID:	1856083

Name:	20200218_000228.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	824.1 KB
ID:	1856084

I showed it to the wife, she was enamored with it. We talked a bit, she asked about getting a better finish (machine finish), the top is better than the bottom.
                      I told her, to get a brighter finish, I need a better mill.
                      She said OK, go ahead. 🤔
                      Maybe I'll make a couple more for her friends. !!
                      Not too bad I'm thinking.
                      That's pretty cool. Doesn't look too difficult to make. I'm guessing the last step was to part the diamond from the rod and polish the top.
                      Great strategy for hinting about a new mill.
                      Maybe you can make a bronze ring to mount that diamond on and leave the machine finish on it. Use the same strategy for a new lathe.

JL................

Comment

Nice Work,what kind of Mill are you going to get.

Comment

I drove down to Daytona 500 yesterday, and also stopped by to look at this mill along the way,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Burke-PMD-3...510a%7Ciid%3A1

machine is well preserved, way too big, 3phase, flaked ways, and no horizontal arbor support,

I was hoping it was the size of the Burke Millright, but no, it is as big or more than a B-port.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                            I showed it to the wife, she was enamored with it. We talked a bit, she asked about getting a better finish (machine finish), the top is better than the bottom. I told her, to get a brighter finish, I need a better mill.

She said OK, go ahead.
                            WOW... You owe Joe Pie a big THANK YOU.

Comment

That's positively the sneakiest way to justify a new machine that I've ever heard of.... I LIKE IT ! ! ! !

Run the facets on fine sandpaper backed by a nice flat solid surface. You may need to make a holder for the smaller facets around the flat crown face. Work it down to some really fine 1200 to 2000 grit then on some good firm wood rub a bit of mag wheel polish on the wood and polish the facets for a mirror like finish..... then tell her the nice mirror finish is made possible due to the new mill.... In other words don't finish polish them until the mill is safely on site.....
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X