DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
      So Jerry, let me see if I hear you.
      Delta wound RPCs make 3 phase
      and Y wound RPCs make 2 phase? ? ? ? ?

-D
      SIGH......

Wye wound RPCs make the same 3 phase as anything else uses. Why, and how, would they do anything different? It's baked into the windings. But "wye" 3 phase has a "neutral" that is not the same as the incoming power neutral.

You can look up the "Scott connection"..... That has one connection that is like the incoming power, with a center-tapped winding, the tap being in the same "location" as for the single phase neutral coming into an RPC.. and it has another winding from that center point to the 3rd wire (wound for a different voltage).

Those two windings are phased at 90 degrees.

The resulting 3 phase is indistinguishable from any other 3 phase, the conversion is perfect. This is because the result of that connection and phasing is completely equivalent to ordinary generated 3 phase.

The whole thing comes out of the vector math.

Now, if you WANTED 2 phase, you could get it, the connections are all there, you would just need one transformer with the right windings.
      Last edited by J Tiers; 02-19-2020, 04:04 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Ok, so just an observation....
        Y wound RPC motors Hummmm a lot.
        Delta wound RPC motors tend to run quiet.
        Is there something to that??

-D
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Yes that is correct. Emerson makes them, as do others. They are of course 3 phase, and made cheap,
          I was actually referring to the 1ph in 1ph out in order to run the typical 1ph motor with variable speed, but have heard so many story's of drop out of run at low speed and other issues etc.
          The reason that the majority now use the 1ph in and 3ph out with 3ph motor for DIY CNC etc.
          Max.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom View Post

I was actually referring to the 1ph in 1ph out in order to run the typical 1ph motor with variable speed, but have heard so many story's of drop out of run at low speed and other issues etc.
            The reason that the majority now use the 1ph in and 3ph out with 3ph motor for DIY CNC etc.
            Max.
            Well a "typical" 1 ph motor (capacitor or split phase) does not run well if at all with a VFD. Slighty less usual ones, PSC, or shaded pole, etc, run OK, but they still do nit necessarily slow down well under heavy load. Eventually the PSC run cap is too small to produce much torque, and the rotor is too light to "ride through" the zero torque times..

I designed a couple of those inverters.... they have to start at or near full frequency and voltage, to get start torque. One had to start the PSC motor in an oil burner at -40C, running JP-8 as fuel (Mil stuff). It DID do it, but the VFD had to source over 12A at start, dropping to 3A or so when running. Well outside the usual VFD limits. Yes, the start was at 60Hz. Then it got slowed down to the proper run speed that the controller set. That one had a limited range because the fuel had to atomize correctly.

another ran a set of cooling fans on an old radar set that apparently had many installs, and killed inverters on a regular basis if the fans jammed. That had a wider range and less power, fan loads work OK with a VFD. I believe those were also PSC motors. I do not think any of those failed, we put a protection circuit in them.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 02-19-2020, 04:42 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Jerry,

If you are running a motor on 3 phase,
              and you loose connection in 1 wire,
              then is not the motor now running on 1 phase?

If you tell me it is running on 2 phases with only 2
              wires, I have a hard time believing that.

-D
              DZER

Comment

You're getting 60 ohms between two wires. I'd say you have three coils, each 30 ohms. You probably have one connection not making it, either at the Y point, or at the junction where the open wire connects to a coil wire.

It looks to me like three dark wires come together- just to the right of where the other wires come into the motor. That's probably your Y point. Opposite that you have 5 strings to cut to access the other wires- the green and the light blue are on top, and it looks like the red off to the right, just out of view. The red is the problem, so starting at about the 1 o-clock position go clockwise and cut seven strings binding the wiring. That should let you lift the red wire out a bit - that's the first point I would cut into to see whether you have a solid connection to one coil winding. If that looks good, then go to where the dark wires appear to go together and free that up. The yellow sleeves are what you have to cut into to get a look at the junction inside.
                Last edited by darryl; 02-19-2020, 07:01 PM.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Jerry,

If you are running a motor on 3 phase,
                  and you loose connection in 1 wire,
                  then is not the motor now running on 1 phase?

If you tell me it is running on 2 phases with only 2
                  wires, I have a hard time believing that.

-D
                  If it was truly "wye", complete with neutral, it could. But if you lose one out of three, it is called "single phasing", because there is just one delta phase left. Three wires and no neutral ARE "delta". The MOTOR can be wired wye, and still works fine with a "delta" source. In fact, if you HAD a neutral, with a motor you would never use it.

However, to figure currents etc, it is often more convenient to consider it as if it were wye, that simplifies things in some cases. Don't let it get your undies in an uncomfortable wad, the two are compatible, and end up with the same important numbers.

Here's something to wrap your head around.... A transformer that gives delta-wye transformation, also creates a 30 degree phase shift. I leave it to you to figure out how that works!

Keep eye on ball.
                  Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

If it was truly "wye", complete with neutral, it could. But if you lose one out of three, it is called "single phasing", because there is just one delta phase left. Three wires and no neutral ARE "delta". The MOTOR can be wired wye, and still works fine with a "delta" source. In fact, if you HAD a neutral, with a motor you would never use it.
                    I have never seen a three phase motor in the Y configuration
                    powered by a Y transformer, hooked up with 3 legs and the
                    center of the Y leg as well. 4 wires?? Never seen it.
                    Phases are between the legs.
                    Don't know why you insist on this Y center tap and
                    neutral connection stuff, who wires shlt this way??
                    You are trying to prove your assertions with some
                    textbook vector analysis that never gets hooked up
                    that way ever. I understand vectors, phase shift
                    and the magnetic hysteresis of iron and the charge
                    cycle of a capacitor. I do not care about being right
                    or being wrong, I just want to learn, but you are not
                    providing me with anything cementitious here.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

I have never seen a three phase motor in the Y configuration