ER25 MT2 collet chuck recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ER25 MT2 collet chuck recommendation

Need a new ER 25 MT2 collect chuck for my EMCO FB2 mill and i'm looking for input on what's good out there for sale. Most of what I see is from China, (not surprised). I did see on MSC that they have an ISCAR from Israel. So looking for input on what brand that good to purchase.

I bought a Shars ER23 R8 collet chuck a few months ago and I am very happy with it. It was about $60 and has better reviews than the Bangood and appears to have a better finish. The runout of an endmill in held by a collet in the chuck is less than .001. That is with my Tools4Cheap ER 32 collet set.
    Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

I got mine for the mill drill from Little Machine Shop (kit box with collets) and its decent.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

get the cheapest one you find on ebay, if you can wait for a few weeks. there really is no difference in precision as compared to more expensive ones. the problem are the collets, i ended up getting super precision collets from regofix and put all other ones away.

you can of course play around and measure runout rotating the chuck and rotating the collet, marking the good spots and hope they have not changed when you use them next time. then its actually good to have a holder with some runout. most collets out there are simply extremely lousy, including ones from reputable companies.

one also has to be aware, that runout gets measured in a different way than on drill chucks (where you take 10x diameter from the chuck). actually many drill chuck will have more precision than collets if you compare them correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by dian View Post
          get the cheapest one you find on ebay, if you can wait for a few weeks. there really is no difference in precision as compared to more expensive ones...
          Buying cheap is always a gamble. I bought a cheap MT4 to ER32 chuck, and the quality was poor. Threads sharp enough to cut me as I cleaned it, chatter in the taper that I could feel with my fingernail, dings in the MT that had to be stoned out, and more runout than it should have had. Quality was way worse than the reasonably-priced Taiwanese tooling I get from my usual supplier. I would have bought this from them as well, but they don't sell MT4 to ER32. The OP might get a perfect example as you did, but I didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
            I got mine for the mill drill from Little Machine Shop (kit box with collets) and its decent.
            The Little Machine Shop one looks nice, spec are pretty decent. I have the EMCO collets set, which are made in Switzerland, I believe they are SCHAUBLIN made.

Comment

Originally posted by Frugalguido View Post

The Little Machine Shop one looks nice, spec are pretty decent. I have the EMCO collets set, which are made in Switzerland, I believe they are SCHAUBLIN made.
              FYI: I have bought a couple other things from LMS that were decent as well. MT3-3C adapters for the mini lathes. 3C collets, etc. All have been decent. I think they may actually do QC as once in a while they will have out of spec parts on their clearance page listed as out of spec.
              *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Huh, I bought an ETM ER-32 chuck 28 years ago and haven't thought about it since. Holy crap, they want $255 for one at MSC!!! That's a crazy price range from the ones going for $20. Glad I got a good one though, it rarely leaves the mill.

Comment

Why automatically discount the stuff just because it's from China? Not like they aren't making it on the same CNC centers that someone in Taiwan or Israel is... Just don't buy the absolute cheapest you can find, same as with anything.

I second the Shars recommendation

Comment

Originally posted by Frugalguido View Post
                    Need a new ER 25 MT2 collect chuck for my EMCO FB2 mill and i'm looking for input on what's good out there for sale. Most of what I see is from China, (not surprised). I did see on MSC that they have an ISCAR from Israel. So looking for input on what brand that good to purchase.
                    Hi look at this link it has the original type of chuck supplied with the FB2 machines, I have this on my machine and works extremely well, you could also try Pro-Machine tools in the UK,thet are the Ebay vendor and the UK distributor for Emco so the quality should be good John
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emco-Coll...MAAMXQvJVRSOqd
                    Knowledge withheld is knowledge lost

Comment

I bought an er25 R8 collet holder from China cheap and the runout was 0.003", so I just crossed my fingers and got another from a different Chinese source and it was less than 0.001". My most used collets are Vertex and Cutwel brands bought individually.

Comment

Originally posted by redgrouse View Post

Hi look at this link it has the original type of chuck supplied with the FB2 machines, I have this on my machine and works extremely well, you could also try Pro-Machine tools in the UK,thet are the Ebay vendor and the UK distributor for Emco so the quality should be good John
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emco-Coll...MAAMXQvJVRSOqd
                        Thanks for the link. That is the same as the one I missed out on US Ebay.

Comment

Hi

About 10 years ago I purchased a ETM set with 15 collets and a #2MT holder. It is use on a Clausing 8530 and indicating in the spindle surface of the holder gave me .0002 runout. Just a couple of things to watch for. The collets must also be dead on the ETM are. I had purchased first a set that was supposed to be a super accurate china one, people on different threads swore by them, they were junk, got rid of it on ebay. So one again I paid twice to get to quality. Second item is the collets are metric not inch which I am guess not an issue for you. The last item I would recommend is make sure you have a bearing type nut (ETM came with it) makes tightening and releasing easier.

I know the quality of the machine you have. You will only be happy with the best.

Bob

Comment

After more research, I find that the ETM and the ISCAR are both made in Israel, with the same specs(TIR .0001"), look the same, probably made in the same factory, both priced at the high end, with the ETM even higher.

Comment

Ordered the Iscar, not bad price after my discounts, $129

Comment

Working...
                              X