Rotary table+boring head=ball turning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary table+boring head=ball turning

In the past few years Model engineer or Model engineers workshop had an article on generating a ball with a boring head and a rotary table. If I remember the the mill head was tilted off at an angle and the cutter swept around the workpiece that is mounted to the RT which was rotated to form a ball. Can anyone help me find that article? I've searched the indexes and can't seem to find it. I have 20 years of magazines and don't relish thumbing through them all to find it.

Thanks in advance

lg
    no neat sig line

If you can't find your article maybe this will help; https://www.ctemag.com/news/articles...rical-surfaces
    Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
      If you can't find your article maybe this will help; https://www.ctemag.com/news/articles...rical-surfaces
      Thanks, that helps. I thought that there was more math to it.

lg
      no neat sig line

Comment

If you're keen on a ball of a very specific diameter and it has to have a set size shaft out the end like shown in the second picture then there would be some pretty hardcore math involved or you'd want to do some nice CAD work to find the diameter and angle needed.

The full ball in the one picture could be done with a cutter that cuts the full diameter and then set at an angle to leave the ball with a stem. Or it could be a slightly smaller diameter and different angle and shape the same size ball and stem.

I'm sure it could all be done with math only. But it seems to me like modeling things in CAD would be far faster and a lot easier.
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

if you search there are some really good indexes out there for those magazines

Comment

Or one could do this …using lathe tools
            https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-Lathe...oAAOSwDudeSrR9

Comment

Guys

What I am attempting to do is help out a neighbor fix a Caterpillar blade mount ball. The one he has is well worn and he is going to weld up the worn side and then use a hand grinder to bring it back into shape. I was trying to figure a bit more elegant solution that I could offer him with the tools I have. My lathe is not big enough to swing this part and I thought maybe I could achieve a solution with my big HZ mill with the universal head on it with the big boring head I have for it. I just remembered the article in the magazine and hoped I could glean some information from it. I seem to remember that the magazine article has a bit more detail than the Tom LIpton article linked above.

So I'm still looking for the article..

lg
              no neat sig line

Comment

A horizontal mill with a rotary table sitting up in the vertical mode and set at an angle would be a pretty easy initial setup. To help me with my own visualizations I did a sketch that might help you too.

The warning about the flat belt line may not seem obvious at first. But tilt the sketch so the lines A-B and A-C are straight across and imagine the rotating boring head. If you go past and try for a line A-E that is like A-B but on the other side then you'd end up with an angled belt line that is flat as the cutter plunged through the middle to get to the other side.

If you go with something between A-B and A-C then you can start a little big with the boring head and dial the head's cutter inwards as determined by a roughing pass and diameter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ball turning in horizontal mill with rotary table.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	1856497
                Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                X