No announcement yet.

Brass, Bronze, Treasure ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your lucky that you still have a local scrap yard that lets you scrounge around for treasures like that.
    Most have put an end to it. Insurance reasons probably.

I have some 2 1/2" dia. bronze shafting that had a 1/2" grease hole bored through the center, it was all tarnished black as well.
    That must be the reaction between that alloy bronze and grease. But your the chemist, you should be telling us.

JL...................

Comment

I would bet on bronze, grab them! Think of all the useful bits waiting to be revealed with a hacksaw.

Comment

SAE660 or ??
        http://www.advancebronze.com/alloy-charts.php

I'd grab it before someone else does.

Comment

'What my bearing was made of has no bering on what your bearing is mad of.' You got that strait
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I'm guessing that bronze bearings might be porous, and therefore oil filled. What happens when you melt it down? I would assume it will burn off, but do you need to add anything to make it clean? And when you re-pour- is there a way you can make it porous again? I've always wondered how that's done in the first place.
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
              I'm guessing that bronze bearings might be porous, and therefore oil filled.
              What you're describing is "Oilite" ...usually made into the form of bushings, through a process of sintering powdered bronze, (and maybe other ingredients) and oil that serves as a permanent lubricant.
              But not all bronze is oilite. And a 12" dia piece especially would, I'd think, not likely be oilite.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                I'm guessing that bronze bearings might be porous, and therefore oil filled. What happens when you melt it down? I would assume it will burn off, but do you need to add anything to make it clean? And when you re-pour- is there a way you can make it porous again? I've always wondered how that's done in the first place.
                Bearings that big would not be Oilite . When you get to diameters over 3" they are usually lubricated by pressure or gravity as thatr is some big loads to handle.
                You cannot make oilite bearings in a home shop unless you have a huge sintering press and support equipment Yes,the oil burns out when melted
                Rich
                Green Bay, WI

Comment

Take a battery powered drill with a sharp drill, say 1/4 inch. Try drilling a hole. The tin in bronze will "cry";sounds like a little girl shrieking.

Comment

I would love to find a scrapyard in my entire state that allows picking. (People's Free Republic of NY)
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_the_Chemist View Post

Are they more likely to be brass or bronze? How could I tell which it is out in the field? I can use a file, drill, that sort of thing...
                      I guess typing metal by color isnt great but... The two type I use are very different in color. The bronze is darker and not shiny. The brass is yellower and shinny. Hope it helps. JR

Brass

Click image for larger version

Name:	brass.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1856556

Bronze

Click image for larger version

Name:	bronze.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	3.25 MB
ID:	1856557

Comment

Just make sure it isn't beryllium copper before you start machining it.

Best Regards,
                        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rjs44032 View Post
                          Just make sure it isn't beryllium copper before you start machining it.

Best Regards,
                          Bob
                          Good point. You do know its beryllium right, if is light. We had beryllium for a couple wrenches. Yes, for spark proof-ness. Not sure why. JR

Comment

Working...
                          X