No announcement yet.

Swaging Wire Rope or Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like what is used to flare tubing. It doesn't look like it was designed for crimping.

JL....

Comment

Looks like a tubing flare tool, without part of it. If the size is right, why not? Dunno if the size is right, but whatever works and floats your watch.

EDIT: Also looks like we were typing at the same time......

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

Hard for me to take pictures of shiny old stuff but I tried, wasn't legible. So after what you guys wanted was the type of tool it was. I am the tool Guy, right? LOL You have to know that by now. I love tools. Its a Nicopress Swagging tool. Says made in the USA also.
        JR
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Your right JR, I didn't see that in your picture. I can see where it says swagging tool USA but not the Mfg. name.
          Tubing is also swagged to adjust the dia. of the end of the tube. You threw us for a loop !

JL....................

Comment

If it is an official tool, it should make a good swage. I did not see the stamping on the tool in the pic....

The little cutouts give the material someplace to go, as with the lever crimp tool. There are often "fins" that get pressed out sideways.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

There should also be a warning stamped on the tool saying aluminum only.
              I'm not sure how big the largest hole is but I doubt that tool was meant for copper crimps.
              I don't think you could ever develop the needed force to properly crimp copper with two bolts. Then there is the very specific finished crimp dimension for the copper.
              When I spoke to the tech person at Nicopress about crimps for 1/4" 7 x 19 I asked him if there was a die that would make the 3 or 4 crimps all in one shot that I cold use on my press.
              He said that I wold need a 50 ton press to do that. So, that gives you an idea of the limits of JR's tool.

JL.............

Comment

All this reminds me of a story I heard from a logger. Cable breaks, a guy gets all smashed up from the springback.

Also, I saw the episode of Beachcombers where Relic had to dive off his boat because his tow cable let go and snapped back at his boat.

I did see something once that was a reminder not to mess around with cable. There were about six of us in 4x4s trying to get to a lake in the winter. Going got impossible and the first guy in line turned around and headed back. Because we were all in the same ruts, he had to take the undriven side of the road. Got a little ways back and got stuck. Next guy in line got turned around and his buddy hauled out the winch cable to pull the first guy out. As the guy in the truck took up the tension on the cable, buddy leaned over it, presumably to see that he had attached it ok. When it became taut, it picked him up and threw him backwards, knocking him out. He was out for a good minute or so- what a relief when he came to and was able to get up.

I saw something interesting the other day. At a local construction site they were installing what looked like a big sewage tank. Rectangular concrete box, open top at this point. They had a loop of cable around the middle of it, with nothing to brace the walls as the cable pulled in on them. The lift went well, but I could just see the sides caving in and the whole thing going for a dump.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                  All this reminds me of a story I heard from a logger. Cable breaks, a guy gets all smashed up from the springback.

Also, I saw the episode of Beachcombers where Relic had to dive off his boat because his tow cable let go and snapped back at his boat.

I did see something once that was a reminder not to mess around with cable. There were about six of us in 4x4s trying to get to a lake in the winter. Going got impossible and the first guy in line turned around and headed back. Because we were all in the same ruts, he had to take the undriven side of the road. Got a little ways back and got stuck. Next guy in line got turned around and his buddy hauled out the winch cable to pull the first guy out. As the guy in the truck took up the tension on the cable, buddy leaned over it, presumably to see that he had attached it ok. When it became taut, it picked him up and threw him backwards, knocking him out. He was out for a good minute or so- what a relief when he came to and was able to get up.

I saw something interesting the other day. At a local construction site they were installing what looked like a big sewage tank. Rectangular concrete box, open top at this point. They had a loop of cable around the middle of it, with nothing to brace the walls as the cable pulled in on them. The lift went well, but I could just see the sides caving in and the whole thing going for a dump.
                  That sounds like an accident waiting to happen. I've seen work crews lift those same concrete tanks but they always use a spreader beam.

JL...............

Comment

If I needed a couple of wire rope slings for lifting, I'd buy them. Making them, "Penny wise and Pound foolish."

Comment

Working...
                    X