Lubrication question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubrication question

Gargoyle DTE Heavy Medium or Equivalent (Saybolt universal viscosity 300-325

So what oil should I use Kearney & Trecker Milwaukee Model K No3?
    80w gear oil
    20/30w crank case oil

Looking for a low cost solution for this.

Mobil DTE oil Heavy Medium cross over: https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...oss-reference/

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post

Take up stamp collecting.

-D

DZER

Comment

Originally posted by outlawspeeder View Post
      Gargoyle DTE Heavy Medium or Equivalent (Saybolt universal viscosity 300-325

So what oil should I use Kearney & Trecker Milwaukee Model K No3?
      80w gear oil
      20/30w crank case oil

Mobil DTE oil Heavy Medium cross over: https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...oss-reference/
      You should use DTE Heavy Medium, Mobil, Castrol, Shell, etc.

https://lubricants.mobil.com/en/indu...l-heavy-medium

Not at certain that a cheaper alternative Hydraulic oil ISO-68AW wouldn't harm any copper containing parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Take up stamp collecting.

-D
        Stamp collecting is far more expensive then home shop machining.

Comment

Stamps, No, I don't think so.

Comment

Hydraulic ISO 68w oil.

Comment

Had to make the same choice for the sidney. Went with 30 weight non-detergent for $30 for 5 gal. But that heavy medium is the right stuff.
              21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
              1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Hydraulic ISO 68w oil. I was thinking 80w 90 gear lube. 51 dollars for 5 gallons.

Comment

I dunno the comparison in prices. The oil i quoted is available at auto/truck/farmer-tractor parts shops and is generally very cheap.
                  It may compare with your 80-90w gear oil. Prolly very similar.
                  I know plenty of tractors use it not only to run the hydraulics but is also used in rear diffs and axle/gearboxes.

Comment

I didn't consider it as ISO 68w oil. I've used it in my tractor for years without thinking about. It is now on the list as a consideration.

Comment

Don't use 90w gear lube.
                      That is totally redneck.
                      Likely to cause problems with the bronzes.
                      And your shop is going to smell like a rear axle
                      every time you run the mill.

-Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

Drag home 2 1/2 tons of iron, fix it, clean it and show it off. Why would you skimp on the most important part: the lubrication?
                        Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Seems about right.

-D
                          DZER

Comment

It is closer to 4 tons.

Dozer... Never thought about the smell. (good call)

Gargoyle DTE Heavy Medium or Equivalent (Saybolt universal viscosity 300-325) This converts to about a 65 viscosity?

Mobil Vactra Oil Number 2 (ISO 68)
                            The Mobil Vactra Oil Numbered Series is carefully formulated from high-quality base stocks and performance balanced with an advanced additive system that provides controlled frictional properties, compatibility with aqueous metal working fluids and corrosion protection of parts and equipment. The unique additive package provides exceptional frictional properties on a wide variety of way materials, including steel on steel and steel on polymer, reducing stick-slip and chatter. This allows smooth, uniform motion at design travel speeds enhancing machine productivity and accuracy helping to prolong tool life and enhance surface finish. The Mobil Vactra Oil Numbered Series has been optimized to provide separability from many aqueous coolants while minimizing the corrosive effects of high pH coolants on lubricated surfaces.
                            • Mobil Vactra Oil No. 1 and No. 2 are recommended for horizontal slideways on small to medium size machine tools. They are also suitable for circulating application in large machines and as a moderate duty hydraulic fluid.

Mobil DTE oil Heavy Medium
                            Mobil DTE Oil Heavy Medium is a premium performance ISO Viscosity Grade (VG) 68 circulating oil. DTE Oil Heavy Medium is designed for use in steam and hydro turbine sets, bearings, pumps and other systems where long service life is required. It is formulated from highly refined base stocks and an additive system that provide extremely high levels of thermal and chemical stability, rapid separation from water and excellent rust and corrosion protection. Additionally its air release properties help to make Mobil DTE Oil Heavy Medium an excellent choice where ISO VG 68 double inhibited R & O oils are recommended.

MOBIL DTE 26 (ISO 68)
                            Mobil DTE™ 20 Series oils are high performance anti-wear hydraulic oils.They meet the stringent requirements of hydraulic systems using high pressure, high output pumps as well as other hydraulic system components such as close clearance servo-valves and numerically controlled (NC) machine tools. These products met the most rigorous performance requirements of a wide range of hydraulic system and component manufacturers, allowing use of a single product with excellent performance characteristics.

All are 68 viscosity. DTE is for turbines, Vactra is designed for cooling, DTE 26 states its for numerically controlled (NC) machine tools...

Comment

You are not considering the ISO 68AW hydraulic oil?

Comment

Working...
                              X