Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: DNA. Seems like I am French-ish. Any other folks try this DNA test?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: DNA. Seems like I am French-ish. Any other folks try this DNA test?

I only ask because my grand parents just didnt remember. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

No DNA test. 20ish years ago my paternal great grand parents were unknown to me. Remarkably little research joined my paternal family branch to male line documentation extending back to 1640 arrival in the new world, settlement of Claire Morris Ireland, supply of knights to Strongbows Norman invasion of Ireland, Haverfordwest Wales and the previous William the Conquerers Norman invasion of England. That essentially makes me a viking.
    Bill Pendergrass
    Rotec RM-1 w/Rusnok head
    Atlas TH42 QC10

Comment

Very sorry to hear you have French ancestors. :-)

I did a DNA test. Northern European mutt. Since the advent of DNA testing, many people are becoming interested in genealogy. I visited my fifth cousins in Norway recently. Very cool experience. It turns out my wife and I each had ancestors from a certain region in Germany, so we're going to visit there soon. I found out I'm descended from a guy who came over on the Mayflower and another who was a major general on U.S. Grant's staff in the Civil War.

metalmagpie

Comment

Do you guys who do DNA tests ever wonder how much information on your DNA is worth to your health insurance company?

Comment

Ahem...be that as it may, my ancestors were some of the earliest French settlers in Quebec.
          BFD, they were a thoroughly randy lot in western Europe, mainly French but also Germanic, British, Irish, ad infinitum.
          In the new world they also sweet-talked some Micmac princesses into the fold.
          Then my father married an Italian and I've been screwed up ever since.
          Len

Comment

Yes... But. I've also read stories about how people sent in samples from their DOG and were told all about his great HUMAN genealogy. Apparently some companies are a bit more reputable than others... Just sayin'.
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Despite my aunt extensively documenting our ancestry, we had some mild surprises thanks to DNA testing. We found out we had a lot more English ancestry than we thought. Based on surnames, we thought my grandma was almost entirely German, but that was not the case, and she turned out to be a tiny bit Jewish which we had no clue about.

Comment

What ?

Comment

Originally posted by ikdor View Post
                  Do you guys who do DNA tests ever wonder how much information on your DNA is worth to your health insurance company?
                  And law enforcement.
                  There is no privacy with these companies, And they're not all that accurate... yet. As the database expands, the accuracy will improve.
                  Southwest Utah

Comment

Yeah, best to let sleeping dogs lie. One of my daughters, in tracing her ancestry back, has now discovered that my wife is descended from King Edward (the something'th or other), now I'm supposed to address my wife as "Princess" and/or "Your Highness."
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
                      Despite my aunt extensively documenting our ancestry, we had some mild surprises thanks to DNA testing. We found out we had a lot more English ancestry than we thought. Based on surnames, we thought my grandma was almost entirely German, but that was not the case, and she turned out to be a tiny bit Jewish which we had no clue about.
                      I had mine tested, also sent the resultant file to another site for search for relative's.
                      Mine mostly Scandinavian/British Isles, no surprise there!
                      Many DNA searchers like myself find they have a small trace of Ashkenazi jew.
                      Remeber Joseph of Arimethea ended up in Glastonbury England and reported to be buried there, so some of it may have got around!😎
                      Just saying!
                      Max.

Comment

We did 23&me. It was enlightening. I wanted to see if we were 1/8th Cherokee ( grandmother 100%) or 1/16th. The joke's on me.

Came out to be 52% British/Irish and 22% French/German. Another 5% Scandinavian and the rest is "broadly northwestern European". There .02% is from the Indian sub continent that they say should have been injected into the family line back in the 1600s. 99.8% Caucasian European.

So I paid to have mom's DNA analyzed just for fun. No American Indian there either. But it DID correctly identify her as my mother. Now that I have hers, I can deduce which genes came from my father's side.

Dan

At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                          Yes... But. I've also read stories about how people sent in samples from their DOG and were told all about his great HUMAN genealogy. Apparently some companies are a bit more reputable than others... Just sayin'.
                          To be fair it's entirely possible that they just ran the DNA across a simple array test that looked for particular markers w/o looking for human markers. Something that's expecting human DNA would just give a really weird result from most any DNA sample down to yeast (I think we have 40% in common with yeast? Meaning 40% of the genes expressed in yeast can be found in human gene expression. Sort of. Things get messy.)

But it does make me wonder what you'd get sending your human DAN in for a dog breed check...

(This from waaay too much time in genomics and proteomics.)

Comment

Originally posted by rkepler View Post

most any DNA sample down to yeast (I think we have 40% in common with yeast? Meaning 40% of the genes expressed in yeast can be found in human gene expression. Sort of. Things get messy.)
                            Probabally alot more in mine.
                            I brew my own beer! 😉
                            Max.

Comment

Originally posted by rkepler View Post

But it does make me wonder what you'd get sending your human DAN in for a dog breed check...
                              If you send ME in for a dog breed check there will be hell to pay.

DAN
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X