X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mcgyver
    replied
    Originally posted by BCRider View Post
    "Milling in the lathe" would entail holding the work in a vise or other fixturing on the tool post or with the aid of a vertical travel slide and turning the cutter with the headstock.
    Milling in the lathe with the work in a chuck is common. I think if the work is rotating it's turning, if the cutter is rotating it's milling (just to confuse though there's of course machines that do both at the same time). As an example, a normal set up for milling tin the lathe on a watchmakers or model engineers lathes is work held in a chuck, an indexing device on the lathe spindle and separate spindle with a milling cutter on a vertical slide.

Leave a comment:

replied
    There is such a wide variety of what can be done on a lathe or other tool . The more time you spend thinking about it, the more you can do., Then you can get r done. I ran a big slitting saw in my lathe and held 3/4 thick steel blocks in my 4 way... that worked very well . I set up 3/4 steel plates on a faceplate and rotobroached 1.75 holes thru them, at a very rapid pace ... I have a theory.. I try to use the machine with the most hp and rigidity to do the job if possible.

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

W-18 three rows of 6 cylinders.
    Its just insane. I do know that Bentley has a W-12 engine in production.

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    He made quite a few of those rods, must be a V12 or something he is working on. He has the skill, thats for sure.
    W-18 three rows of 6 cylinders.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    He made quite a few of those rods, must be a V12 or something he is working on. He has the skill, thats for sure.
    Answered my own question looking at some of his other videos. That guy is a world class engine builder and craftsman !

Leave a comment:

• lynnl
    replied
    Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
    I clicked on the link and got a 10 minute add video on a new glue that hardens with ultra-violet light. Is that what I was supposed to see?
    Does anyone know the name of the music in that UV glue commercial video? Normally I hate music in videos, but I like that, and it's not competing with any speech, since the message appears in text.

Leave a comment:

• Sparky_NY
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nickel-city-fab
    replied
    The thing I love about videos like that is, there is always some cool setup that I would never have thought of.

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    Those are beautiful connecting rods. The connecting rods I make are much simpler, and since no one ever sees them, they are not pieces of art. I admire people who take the time to make such beautiful pieces, but the only important parts of a con rod to me are the bore diameters in each end, the center to center distance, and the width. I do use a fixture plate to mount the con-rod to for reducing the width except for an extended boss on each side of the big end.---Brian

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    here is the link to that guys main youtube page

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/user/yesuswilder10/videos

I posted a specific video on his connecting rods

Leave a comment:

• Ringo
    replied
    no, there is a cool video, we always click to close the beginning ad

Leave a comment:

• brian Rupnow
    replied
    I clicked on the link and got a 10 minute add video on a new glue that hardens with ultra-violet light. Is that what I was supposed to see?

Leave a comment:

• pinstripe
    replied
    I don't think he owns a mill. I've only ever seen him make parts on a lathe. Get your scotch out and fire up this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEGmD_aV3w

Leave a comment:

• BCRider
    replied
    Not milling. Just very educated turning. The work was always held and turned by the chuck or a fixture in the chuck. "Milling in the lathe" would entail holding the work in a vise or other fixturing on the tool post or with the aid of a vertical travel slide and turning the cutter with the headstock. No signs of that here. Just a well thought out sequence of operations.....

And I have to wonder how much time was spent coming up with all the ideas and sequence.

In particular I really like the use of a tapered arbor for the work holding in the last few operations.

Thanks for posting the link Ringo. That was a very entertaining and educational video. I'm going to look up the rest of the vids on this build.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    He's good with that zip wheel and grinder.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X