Clear All

• Has anyone seen this Lathe video??

What do you think of this one?
    Is he milling on a lathe?
    Not horizontal mill on lathe,
    Milling on lathe?

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IIzQUpDEJY

This fascinates a guy like me,
    I can get a bourbon or scotch and sit and just watch it......
    Last edited by Ringo; 02-22-2020, 10:33 PM.

Brian has to see this.... thats amazing. Personally I can't go that small, but the man is a pure craftsman
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I like it! Wonder how oops parts he made......
      I cut it off twice; it's still too short
      Oregon, USA

Comment

He's good with that zip wheel and grinder.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Not milling. Just very educated turning. The work was always held and turned by the chuck or a fixture in the chuck. "Milling in the lathe" would entail holding the work in a vise or other fixturing on the tool post or with the aid of a vertical travel slide and turning the cutter with the headstock. No signs of that here. Just a well thought out sequence of operations.....

And I have to wonder how much time was spent coming up with all the ideas and sequence.

In particular I really like the use of a tapered arbor for the work holding in the last few operations.

Thanks for posting the link Ringo. That was a very entertaining and educational video. I'm going to look up the rest of the vids on this build.
          Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I don't think he owns a mill. I've only ever seen him make parts on a lathe. Get your scotch out and fire up this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEGmD_aV3w

Comment

I clicked on the link and got a 10 minute add video on a new glue that hardens with ultra-violet light. Is that what I was supposed to see?
              Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

no, there is a cool video, we always click to close the beginning ad

Comment

here is the link to that guys main youtube page

​​​​​​https://www.youtube.com/user/yesuswilder10/videos

I posted a specific video on his connecting rods

Comment

Those are beautiful connecting rods. The connecting rods I make are much simpler, and since no one ever sees them, they are not pieces of art. I admire people who take the time to make such beautiful pieces, but the only important parts of a con rod to me are the bore diameters in each end, the center to center distance, and the width. I do use a fixture plate to mount the con-rod to for reducing the width except for an extended boss on each side of the big end.---Brian
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The thing I love about videos like that is, there is always some cool setup that I would never have thought of.
                      25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

He made quite a few of those rods, must be a V12 or something he is working on. He has the skill, thats for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                          I clicked on the link and got a 10 minute add video on a new glue that hardens with ultra-violet light. Is that what I was supposed to see?
                          Does anyone know the name of the music in that UV glue commercial video? Normally I hate music in videos, but I like that, and it's not competing with any speech, since the message appears in text.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                            He made quite a few of those rods, must be a V12 or something he is working on. He has the skill, thats for sure.
                            Answered my own question looking at some of his other videos. That guy is a world class engine builder and craftsman !

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                              W-18 three rows of 6 cylinders.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                              X