Clear All

• Isn't this belt grinder cute?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny grinder.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1857197

https://tinyurl.com/upczj6w

Worth $20 just for the cuteness. Well, $25 with shipping. But $25 seems too good to be true & you know about "too good to be true".

Probably good for small work but how could anyone even the Chinese sell it $79 let alone $20. Maybe the "too good to be true" aptly fits here.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Tiny grinder.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	1857197

https://tinyurl.com/upczj6w

Worth $20 just for the cuteness. Well, $25 with shipping. But $25 seems too good to be true & you know about "too good to be true".
      It is cute, tiny too! 8x6x5" I would almost buy one for the bench top for finishing cut off screws and small bolts but I suspect it has zero power. Hard to believe that can make and sell this stuff so cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by vectorwarbirds View Post

It is cute, tiny too! 8x6x5" I would almost buy one for the bench top for finishing cut off screws and small bolts but I suspect it has zero power. Hard to believe that can make and sell this stuff so cheap.
        You don't need much power for finishing off screws and small bolts.

See if its available at one of the "legit" Chinee sites like Gear Best or Bang Good. Yes "legit" is in quotes.
        *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Ha! Gear Best has it for $51. Big difference. https://www.gearbest.com/other-consu...ml?wid=2000001

Pictures of various ones on Bang Good all seem to show a small open frame sheet metal universal motor. Similar prices to Gear Best.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Replacement belts are $98 each plus $35 shipping from Wuhan. Just kidding.

Sometimes I wonder if these small machines are designed to use up surplus parts or tooling set ups, bearings, and castings from major manufacturing endeavors. Perhaps the end of a run of CNC parts with close design parameters, a container of bearings and wheels, some left over DC motors, otherwise headed for scrap or wholesale out.

Probably just over thinking again,... got a headache, and need my 5th cup of coffee.
            S E Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
              Replacement belts are $98 each plus $35 shipping from Wuhan. Just kidding.

Sometimes I wonder if these small machines are designed to use up surplus parts or tooling set ups, bearings, and castings from major manufacturing endeavors. Perhaps the end of a run of CNC parts with close design parameters, a container of bearings and wheels, some left over DC motors, otherwise headed for scrap or wholesale out.

Probably just over thinking again,... got a headache, and need my 5th cup of coffee.
              I would suspect the electric motor is the part they are taking advantage of for this sort of thing. Aluminum in China is cheap enough pre-tariff's that importers made a huge margin over domestic producers even after actual freight costs. If they used the typical skate bearing for everything else those are cheap too.

Comment

Most of these use a 330 mm ~= 13" belt. If you look at the one star ratings on Amazon, folks seem to find it difficult to find this size. One might have to make up his own belts.
                Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

I built a belt grinder that size for sharpening knives. It works perfect. The belts are 19mm wide and 300mm length. I have from 120grit to 6000grit plus leather belts I made for strapping. The belts are the same that fit the Work Sharp Ken Onion knife sharpener.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Well worth the money, as long as it takes a common, easily replaced belt available in the finer grit sizes.

Well, I looked on ebay UK and there were plenty, and I took a chance and ordered one for £24 including postage from London, arriving later this week.
                    It looks like it would not be too hard to modify it to take different length belts.
                    Last edited by old mart; 02-23-2020, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Nice little unit for touching up knives in the kitchen and other light duty shop work. Seems to be no shortage of belts on Ebay. Only problem is they want $18 CND for a ten pack that the machine comes with plus all I can find is 80 grit so that kind limits it's use unless I want to make my own.

Looked on Ebay and Amazon and the little belt grinders are way more in price and a lot were of sheet metal construction instead of the one linked to, especially the lower cost units. I'd get one but am concerned that I may receive one that is of sheet metal construction, then what?
                      The sheet metal ones are probably a flimsy rattle trap.

Great price though! Can't believe they can sell and ship it here for $25 US.
                      My 1" x 30" with a unlimited selection of belts is looking better to me at this point though.
                      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Klick on the grinder option to buy. The GRINDER is on sale for $80, The BELTS are on sale for $20.

Reasonable, but not a deal by any stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
                          Klick on the grinder option to buy. The GRINDER is on sale for $80, The BELTS are on sale for $20.

Now that makes much more sense.
                          Thank you!
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post

You're right! It's not at all clear that you're buying belts & not the grinder ... 'least it wasn't for me. Then it's not a good deal at all - much better deals at all the usual places, including Amazon & eBay.

Comment

It is a scam, they send the “free belts” so they can get a delivery confirmation and you never get the grinder!
                              Then if you try to get a refund they tell you to return the item to China and you can’t get a delivery confirmation!
                              Still trying not to get my refund.

Comment

Working...
                              X