• Show
Clear All

• OT: 75 Years ago today. Semper Fi Gentlemen

Click image for larger version

Name:	Semper Fi.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	1857206

Can you imagine what those Marines thought when the cameraman asked them to do it again for the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
      Can you imagine what those Marines thought when the cameraman asked them to do it again for the camera.
      I know EXACTLY what they thought, but I can't write it here!

Comment

Although a few men were present at both flag raisings, the six in the famous photo (Hayes, Schultz, Strank, Sousley, Keller, and Block) had not witnessed or participated in the first.
        Last edited by Galaxie; 02-23-2020, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Is it bad to go OT in an OT? Well, couple of days ago I was watching a Youtube doc about the P-38, and after it ended, as a extra they showed the whole interview with one of the pilots about his bailout in the Pacific and 10 days of survival behind Japanese lines and escape. It made me think of my 20 year old rock climber son, and how he is most likely trying to capture the existential challenge that those equally young men got dragged into. We're a strange species. I emailed him the link.

Link with time doesn't seem to work, interview at 45:00

Last edited by gellfex; 02-23-2020, 02:30 PM.

Comment

Semper Fi!

Comment

Shades of Horatius Fancy clothes and lying tales or pictures of 'heroism' still lure children into war to satisfy the greed of politicians. At least a foolish activity like rock climbing will only kill himself.

More interesting is the shed over a shed in Sid's picture above.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                Shades of Horatius Fancy clothes and lying tales or pictures of 'heroism' still lure children into war to satisfy the greed of politicians. At least a foolish activity like rock climbing will only kill himself.

More interesting is the shed over a shed in Sid's picture above.
                Not sure what you saying, but I'm awfully proud that there are still people around like my daughter that put her life on hold, after college, to serve her country for a while.
                And if i remember my history, by your flag, your country as well!!
                Those "fancy clothes" were hard earned, as every Marine knows. Not everyone can.

That's not a shed over a shed, and not my house. That is my brother's Jeep.

Sid

Comment

Apology's for being tired of wars, remember us Limeys were in two world wars starting in 1914 and 1939.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                    Apology's for being tired of wars, remember us Limeys were in two world wars starting in 1914 and 1939.
                    There are always going to be wars. Nature of the beast.
                    I'm also worried at times that she could be called.
                    But there is just something in her that will answer that call with all she is.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

I'm also worried at times that she could be called.
                      But there is just something in her that will answer that call with all she is.
                      God Bless her, from a career military guy.

Comment

I think it's the nature of SOME of the beasts, and the rest of us just get dragged along. Between that and the 2 trillion dollar international arms industry that will do anything to keep every nation on earth at each other's throats to prevent the collapse of their business, you're probably right that war will always be with us. I do respect your daughter for her brave choice and wish you and her the best.

Comment

Not sure what you saying, but I'm awfully proud that there are still people around like my daughter that put her life on hold, after college, to serve her country for a while.
                          And if i remember my history, by your flag, your country as well!!
                          Those "fancy clothes" were hard earned, as every Marine knows. Not everyone can.

That's not a shed over a shed, and not my house. That is my brother's Jeep.

Sid
                          Tell her that all our 'great' generals hated war. Tell her to to guard her life against those that don't. Click image for larger version

Name:	What for.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1857449 What for?

Comment

Truly a sad sight. I have carried four home this way. I always preferred the humanitarian missions. Saving lives in Guatemala after the floods(1998), bringing in food and water into Puerto Rico after hurricanes (September 21, 1998), even moved FEMA in times of need. I agree, war is bad and would love to see our troops to go back to per 9/11.

To the original post, "75 Years ago today. Semper Fi Gentlemen". My Grandfather fought in that theater and came home with a scar across his stomach he never talked about.
                            My father fought in Korea.
                            I had Desert Storm.

Comment

When I was in Army ROTC summer camp in 1969, a general addressed us and said how great it was to have the Vietnam War where officers could test their strategies in real life (and death) scenarios. Pretty much freaked me out...

I had been pretty much a war hawk up to that time, but then gravitated toward the "doves", who were eventually proven to be right to protest that war.

You should watch the 1974 film "Hearts and Minds".
                              http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                              Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                              USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                              X