Single pointing 0-80 internal thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single pointing 0-80 internal thread

I don't post much here and this is my first time with the new format.

I recently decided to take a crack at single pointing an 0-80 internal thread. The urge came about after Joe Pie did a video where he made an 0-80 nut using a tap. In the comments he spoke of trying to single point 0-80. I don't know if he meant internal or external. I make tiny model engines and have already single pointed 0-80 external threads. I figured what the hell and decided to go for an internal thread.

A tool blank was turned out of 0-1 and hardened. The blank was then ground for clearance. This first tool broke on the second pass of my first attempt. A second tool was made but not hardened. The second attempt failed due to the tool being set to low. At this scale, it is very difficult to set the tool height.

The third attempt was successful after the tool height was corrected. I decided for a 50% thread engagement using a #55 (.052) drill due to the great challenge involved with this exercise.

For those who would ask why? The only way to get good at something is to push yourself.

-Bob

good stuff....thanks for posting some machining

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 90LX_Notch View Post
        .................................................. .......................

For those who would ask why? The only way to get good at something is to push yourself. .....-Bob
        Bravo my Friend, Bravo !
        " A man has to know his Limits "- Clint Eastwood---Dirty Harry

Rich
        Good job !

Comment

Bob, You must be young with good eyes! Good job!

Comment

Wow, nicely done! It's interesting to me how much more difficult something like this get simply due to the reduces scale of the work. Thanks for posting this, great work.

Comment

Wow, great job. Feel free to post some more good stuff like this.

Comment

Good for you!

The slack in the half nut system of my old Logan would be enough to mess up threading that fine, so I would use a tap for it.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Outstanding ! You're gonna give Stefan Gotteswinter a run for his money !

Comment

You are a braver man than I!
                    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Nice job! Are you going to try 00-90 next? 😀
                      Sole proprietor of Acme Buggy Whips Ltd.
                      Specialty products for beating dead horses.

Comment

That's just amazing... people who do small stuff amaze me.

Comment

That is an amazing feat. I don't think I've ever gone below 5/16". The advantages of single pointing is you can get that "perfect" fit that you may not be able to get with a tap, even with different H limits.

JL.................

Comment

I could NEVER manage that. Kudos, Bob.

Comment

Good for you.. no pain, no gain.. a lot if people should push harder and learn more..

Comment

Working...
                              X