Different engine configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Different engine configuration

Has anyone seen an i.c. engine which operates with the crankshaft being driven by a "Bell Crank"? The closest I have seen to this is the Rockerblock engine which I designed and built a few years ago. I'm casting about looking for a new engine to design and build, and I don't remember seeing this configuration before.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow

Interesting but what's the point? A lot of extra linkages to lubricate and wear out.

Comment

Only seems to be barely different than the rockerblock engine you built. Making the prior engine run would be a lot more interesting, but that ship seems to have sailed. I find the variations interesting but not as interesting as the finer points that make for a excellent operating engine vs a marginal running one or one that refuses to run. I have been a miniature engine fan for many many years and love looking at the various builds around the world. I've only built one engine, a 5cyl radial that I flew in a Waco biplane but do have another engine planned before too long.

Look forward to following your newest / next build, they are always interesting and a learning experience !

Comment

I think it should work. The "Monkey Motion" would be part of the charm and it gives several locations for the cam/points. It would be a good starting point for a steam/compressed air engine as well.

Comment

Looks interesting. Looking forward to seeing it running next Friday

Comment

that looks like half of an opposed piston engine
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposed-piston_engine

Comment

Beginnings of a variable compression engine?

Comment

I think there has been model engines similar to that in old "Model Engineer" magazines but I don't know when.
                The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Brain - do something "different" most likely something that nobody else has done,,, remember those kids "pump top toys" or those old fashioned pump screwdrivers? yeah - build a G.Damned engine with that concept,
                  I just drew this up for you, Iv eliminated piston skirt drag and also the poor proportion flywheel to piston speed that small engines suffer, the intake valve is atmospheric --- the exhaust is your guess is as good as mine - rig something up lol

My guess is that you could get this thing to idle lower than any other typical small engine ever built ! it could be so slow it might have to be fitted with a dinky little two barrel carb just to keep the venturi effect going on the primary circuit... knock yourself out....

(ps you have to also come up with something to keep the piston from rotating, could be made extra long with rollers that fit into linear guides in the cylinder that is below the sealing rings)

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05159.jpg Views:	0 Size:	34.0 KB ID:	1857829
                  Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 02-25-2020, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Brian -- the linkage reminds me of the grasshopper linkages on a walking beam engine -- have you considered something similar? Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlp1aG1VJRI

Comment

If I do build this, it will be a "novelty" engine. I have built flathead engines, I have built overhead cam engines, I have built engines with both atmospheric and cam operated valves, have built hit and miss engines, I have built side shaft engines, I have built an Atkinson engine, and I have built the ill fated opposed twin engine (which actually ran very good when it was first built) and I have built opposed piston engines and the Rockerblock engine and the oscillating i.c. engine as designed by Philip Duclos. I have built open crankshaft engines and closed crankcase engines. I have built 2 cycle marine engines and the Kerzel and Webster engines. I'm looking for something different, and don't really want to go down the multi-cylinder path.
                      Brian Rupnow

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                        If I do build this, it will be a "novelty" engine. I have built flathead engines, I have built overhead cam engines, I have built engines with both atmospheric and cam operated valves, have built hit and miss engines, I have built side shaft engines, I have built an Atkinson engine, and I have built the ill fated opposed twin engine (which actually ran very good when it was first built) and I have built opposed piston engines and the Rockerblock engine and the oscillating i.c. engine as designed by Philip Duclos. I have built open crankshaft engines and closed crankcase engines. I have built 2 cycle marine engines and the Kerzel and Webster engines. I'm looking for something different, and don't really want to go down the multi-cylinder path.
                        Hrm, well you're in luck then! I don't see the walking beam in that list, and it certainly could be done in a single IC cylinder... would be different that's for sure.

I'm interested in the De LaVergne hot bulb oil engines, but I'm sure that is a few years down the road for me.

Comment

Brian,
                          Have you ever considered a hot-air or Stirling engine? The Rider-Ericsson engines used a similar linkage for the displacer.

Comment

I have a "novelty" type engine for you... An Otto & Langen atmospheric gas engine. It's actually a historic type, quite unusual, and has lots of moving parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85HkJCqjbrA

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

I'm trying to imagine a 4-stroke valve train that works off of levers and links, with no cams, lifters, or pushrods whatsoever.

Comment

Working...
                              X