No announcement yet.

Decent Pop Rivet Tool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure to get the correct length of rivets too.

Comment

I have a hydraulic too from FSI. It pulls up to 1/4 shank rivets and has adapters for Rivnuts up to 3/8". I purchased it as a government surplus kit. There are ways limit the length of grip (for your hand). On the initial stroke leave the nose slightly away from the rivet head. After that only release the handles far enough for a comfortable grip. It id a maintenance tool, not suited to production.

Comment

Just to clarify, I was not complaining about the number of strokes. That can vary with the sizes of the rivet and the thickness of the work. I do try to use the proper rivet for the job.

I am talking about the length of the stroke which seems to always exceed the length of my hand's grasp with every tool I have used. I am not a small person: 6' tall and 253 pounds this morning. Working on that to bring it down. But I am not a small person. It seems to me that all these hand tools are designed for giants. I am looking for a hand tool with a shorter stroke and don't care if that means three, four, even five strokes to pop the rivet.

And, if I get into something where I need to do dozens or hundreds of them in a day, I would definitely look into an air tool or one of those attachments for a drill. But, like most of us, pop rivets are an occasional use item. Yesterday I was adding aluminum angles to some plastic shelves that were sagging and even breaking. Yes, I probably should just replace the shelf units, but this was a quick and dirty solution. I used exactly ten pop rivets. I could have used some other kind of fasteners, but pop rivets just seemed to be the way to go.

And if they were easier to use, I would probably use them more. One would think that if the manufacturers understood that, perhaps they would make an easier to use tool. I have a sheet metal nibbling tool. It has a short stroke so I can use it with one hand without changing my grip on it in the middle of every stroke. Yes, it only takes a small bite of the metal each stroke, but I can keep going until my hand gets tired. Pop rivet tools should be more like that. Perhaps what is needed is smaller serrations in the jaws so the amount of pull per stroke is smaller. Hummmmm..... I have a metal shop.
        Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 02-26-2020, 10:04 PM.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          Just to clarify, I was not complaining about the number of strokes. That can vary with the sizes of the rivet and the thickness of the work. I do try to use the proper rivet for the job.

I am talking about the length of the stroke which seems to always exceed the length of my hand's grasp with every tool I have used. I am not a small person: 6' tall and 253 pounds this morning. Working on that to bring it down. But I am not a small person. It seems to me that all these hand tools are designed for giants. I am looking for a hand tool with a shorter stroke and don't care if that means three, four, even five strokes to pop the rivet.
          Paul, we're about the same size. What I do with mine, is I start out with the handles partly squeezed in already when I insert the rivet into the tool. It usually takes me 2 or 3 to pop it. But the tool never opens wider than my hand if I start it out that way. Problem is, sometimes I lose my grip and they'll fly open in my face. Maybe you can invent a better tool.

Comment

Definitely takes some fiddling to use those tools. It's easy to hurt your hands with them, so nice to use the air tool instead. For me, when the rivet pops that's when the sudden release lets the tool vibrate violently in my hand- and that does do some damage each time I set a rivet. Get to the 3/32 stem and forget it- I'm probably good for 2 rivets, but that's it. Feels like slamming your hand into a glass window- you kind of have to catch the tool as it spasms to avoid getting pinched, not the safest tool to use. The sudden release from the high pressures you're exerting to pop the rivet isn't doing your tendons any favors.

I'm potentially in the market for an air riveter for serious home use-
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I can see it now- the hydraulic hand powered pop rivet gun. 4, 5, 6 easy squeezes, and a clean, recoil-less severing of the rivets shank is accomplished. HSM project
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

get a lazy tong rivet gun - something like this

https://www.rivetwise.co.uk/products...t_tool_283_278

much easier on the hands (although not very useful in confined spaces)

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

I am talking about the length of the stroke which seems to always exceed the length of my hand's grasp with every tool I have used.
                  Check out the gun I linked to in my earlier post. It has an adjustable stroke that you can tailor to your liking and should be available from your local big-box home improvement store. I get along with it very well, much better than the older Lawson and Dayton guns I used before.

Edit: I'm surprised by the poor reviews on the HD website. Granted, I've only used mine for 1/8" rivets so far, but I've experienced no problems and found it very easy to use. Maybe I just got lucky?
                  Last edited by Fasttrack; 02-27-2020, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Just to add with regard to the drill driven riveter linked to in post #14 I have used one of these in a commercial setting and they work very well. Probably not as good as pneumatic but OK. Only problem I had was after a while I had to replace the ball bearings in the nose. Just loose 1/8"? bearings, whatever the manufacturer had used had not been hardened.
                    West Sussex UK

Comment

That's an interesting tool. Looks like you push on it to pop the rivet.

Originally posted by batt-man View Post
                      get a lazy tong rivet gun - something like this

https://www.rivetwise.co.uk/products...t_tool_283_278

much easier on the hands (although not very useful in confined spaces)
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.
                      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by jcfx View Post
                        As far as I know most manual pop rivet guns have a large stroke, I did stumble across this on McMaster -
                        https://www.mcmaster.com/rivets/=8ae...686746k73s8m8x
                        researching further into it they seem to be prevalent on eBay, the best I can ascertain is that a company in spain
                        originated this design, it's on my list to buy and try.
                        Those look good. A bit pricey, but less than the alternatives.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                          Just to add with regard to the drill driven riveter linked to in post #14 I have used one of these in a commercial setting and they work very well. Probably not as good as pneumatic but OK. Only problem I had was after a while I had to replace the ball bearings in the nose. Just loose 1/8"? bearings, whatever the manufacturer had used had not been hardened.
                          That's good to know, I get occasional jobs or shop projects that require a a lot of pop riveting and a manual
                          riveting gun can be a pain, literally and figuratively. I don't know when this drill driven riveter was first introduced
                          but there may have been a upgrade in the mechanics since you last used them or it was just a bad batch.

Comment

A friend had a riveter like the lazy tong. Worked a treat!

Click image for larger version  Name:	283_0_l.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.0 KB ID:	1858402
                            Maybe try a $65 pneumatic pop rivet tool from Banggood?

Click image for larger version  Name:	2019040504194468-1263880.jpg Views:	0 Size:	21.5 KB ID:	1858405
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	2019040504194451-1263880.jpg Views:	0 Size:	22.5 KB ID:	1858406
                            Or a $20 electric tool:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	2019020714220618-1285523.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	1858408
                            Last edited by PStechPaul; 02-27-2020, 11:20 PM.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Cherry Max brand, way over priced for the average guy, but nice stuff. I have an older gov surplus unit that you can use whatever hand grip range you want.
                              Here is a version : https://www.usatco.com/item/WEB+G800...-Hand-Riveter/

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X