Sandblasting Cabinet Round Two: VacuBlast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chipmaker4130 View Post
    A fine metal screen in front of the glass will extend the life by at least 5X. It does degrade the view a bit, but with proper lighting it isn't a problem.
    I talked to a guy that installed the same setup 20 yrs ago and still on original glass,I think results would vary on distance from glass.And I forgot to ask him

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
      I have used a few different blasting machines and this is the gun I like the most https://www.ebay.com/itm/REPLACES-CL...QAAOSweHtdsG4U and you can get different size nozzles in A/O or carbide nozzles.
      I second that. It's an excellent gun. Stainless. It's also plenty easy to turn yourself a bushing to adapt it to fit the smaller ceramic nozzles made for the cheaper guns, if you so desire. I only will because I have some left over from an old setup, but like Ken said you can get boron carbide nozzles for them, too.

Comment

Thanks guys! I'm going to try and get it hooked up over the weekend. I need to run some new airlines and do some electrical work but once it's all hooked up, I'll give it a try as-is and figure out exactly what needs to be replaced. Those Clemco style guns look nice but I may make do with what I've got for a few months while I let my budget recover from the recent glut of machine tool buying.

Comment

Well a few updates from the weekend. I need to replace a bunch of rubber and foam gaskets. Not too surprising given the age. Also, the siphon hose has a huge hold worn through it where it makes a bend - also not too surprising but it sparks the question: just what is the siphon hose made out of? It looks and feels a lot like ordinary, clear vinyl hose.

Also, the current setup uses a 3/4" ID siphon hose about 8' feet long. If I replace the gun with one of those Clemco Zero Blast versions, the siphon hose fitting is for a 1/2" ID tube. I imagine anywhere I decrease diameter is going to be a substantial wear point. Do I keep the siphon hose 3/4" ID and put a reducing adapter just before the gun or do I replace the whole length of hose with smaller diameter hose?

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post
            Well a few updates from the weekend. I need to replace a bunch of rubber and foam gaskets. Not too surprising given the age. Also, the siphon hose has a huge hold worn through it where it makes a bend - also not too surprising but it sparks the question: just what is the siphon hose made out of? It looks and feels a lot like ordinary, clear vinyl hose.

Also, the current setup uses a 3/4" ID siphon hose about 8' feet long. If I replace the gun with one of those Clemco Zero Blast versions, the siphon hose fitting is for a 1/2" ID tube. I imagine anywhere I decrease diameter is going to be a substantial wear point. Do I keep the siphon hose 3/4" ID and put a reducing adapter just before the gun or do I replace the whole length of hose with smaller diameter hose?
            Clear braided vinyl hose is fairly standard for that application. It's helpful to see if your media is getting sucked up and how efficiently, but it is ultimately a perishable part. Even the big thick rubber hoses on blast pots wear through eventually, and usually at the end with the nozzle on it, as that's the bit that's stressed most by being bent and waved about by the blaster. It's not an awful lot of fun when that happens.

As for sizing the pickup tube, it depends on what pressure/flow you want to maintain, and consequentially what pressure/CFM your compressor can sustain. Since the Clemco style gun is likely to be more efficient than what you have, coupling that with a reduction in hose ID might give you a much more efficient setup. Increased flow is a good thing, as is a metering valve of sorts to regulate how much air gets mixed in with the siphoned grit. I made a banjo-type bolt for this but in the end just left it out and went with maximum. Too many variables to really give you a definite answer but I think the smaller ID on the pickup will be more efficient.

Comment

Working...
            X