Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been following the Corona story via the WHO daily Situation reports: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...ation-reports/
    They provide some info on the situation in China and the odd thing is that most of the cases are in the Hubei province where Wuhan is located. There has been relatively minor spread to other provinces and the mortality rate is much lower in all other provinces, at least for now. The WHO includes info on the Corona activity in most of the world in their report, showing the spread to South Korea and the mid-east. It's interesting that a number of Asian countries have had a few cases and no further spread (for now).

Also of note is that the mortality rate is much lower (about 1/4) everywhere else in the world, Hubei province is an outlier. The Chinese were a little slow in recognizing this new disease but seem to be doing a good job minimizing the spread around their country.

Comment

If the fancy Japanese toilets are any indication, orientals are much more fastidious than the low lifes who exit the crapper without washing their hands.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Japanese are very clean people. Mainland Chinese are the opposite.
        Not to get political, but there is one group of people who want this to crash the economy for a certain individual, and in another part of the world, one political group wishes to stop widespread protests. Of course suggesting such a thing would also suggest a level of cooperation and competence that simply doesn't reflect reality.

Comment

I'm safe from corona virus.
          Yep, just clicked on the FREE windows anti virus down load.😁

But really,
          I'm taking it as the good ole media, if it bleeds it leads. They want to make a buck too.
          Every few years some new flu is going to wipe us out.

When my time comes, I just want to go with a bit of grace. Until then, the fear mongers can run as tight of circles as they want.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            The exit door ought to be a push-open door, just on account of that, but it seems like 75% of them have a pull handle.
            Everybody with 2.5 brain cells has had this thought, why is it still not a standard by law? Or if it's single user, a lever action you can elbow? Skanky places I get out with a paper towel interface, and I'm anything but a germophobe.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

Never sell into a panic. I remember this happened with the ebola virus. Not sure if it was quite this bad though. But I think it was a relatively short lived panic.

JL...............
              Can't sell to panic if your not even in the game,,, one of Gandhi's 7 blunders that plague mankind -- wealth without work, makes complete sense to me in fact just comes natural, will be a hard working stiff till the day I kack...

Comment

At this point I think it is all over blown by the media. Not to say we don't need to take precautions, as it seems the Presidend/government are doing. As for the market, I think the media has freaked them out, probably intentionally.

Comment

Back in the 1970s, according the media we sold all our wheat to Russia. The reality we sold 2% o a normal crop spread over 2 years. Normal export at that time was more then 30% of each crop, and our export rate was well below normal. Price of wheat went from less than 4$ a bushel to well of 12$ in about 4 weeks. then the farmers costs went and are still up. 100$ tire now 1000$ tire. Fuel less than 1$ gallon now pushing 4$. So the farmers had one good year and have been paying for it ever since. and so has everyone who wants to eat. These increase all happened in less than a month through panic caused be the news media. Tomw
                  Tom Washburn Orem Utah

Comment

We left for Mexico in early January. Feeling increasingly frustrated at how the stock market was behaving, I sold EVERYTHING and put all the money into 3 month CDs, figuring I'd reevaluate when I get home. For a few weeks the market kept climbing, but then, well, came what I was worried about. Now I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by wdtom44 View Post
                      At this point I think it is all over blown by the media. Not to say we don't need to take precautions, as it seems the Presidend/government are doing. As for the market, I think the media has freaked them out, probably intentionally.
                      With out a doubt. they were talking about a big correction in the markets weeks before this virus came about.
                      This just gave them the excuse they needed to make it happen. Seen it before. But once all the fund managers are all well positioned at the bottom things will turn around quickly.

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                        We left for Mexico in early January. Feeling increasingly frustrated at how the stock market was behaving, I sold EVERYTHING and put all the money into 3 month CDs, figuring I'd reevaluate when I get home. For a few weeks the market kept climbing, but then, well, came what I was worried about. Now I'm feeling like I dodged a bullet.

metalmagpie
                        In reality, you paid me. And sold stock to me at a low.

Buy and hold is always the best strategy unless civilization collapses, and then it won't matter much anyhow, so there is not a downside. If you COULD always buy on a low, and sell on a high, yes, you would make money. Many try, hardly any succeed.

For gains that exceed many managed funds, and less hassle, just buy an "index fund" or three. You will know what your investment is worth, and you will incur fewer and smaller fees that suck away your gains.

The "value" your stock has at any given moment is an almost completely imaginary number. It does not hurt you if it dips, it does not really help you if it rises, (but it looks nice). It represents the amount of money other people "think" they can make off that particular stock. The price is based on their "expectation".

The ONLY time your stock value means anything real is when you want to sell some. Then it affects your return in cash, and it affects your capital gains tax.
                        Last edited by J Tiers; 02-27-2020, 10:14 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

I'm very glad to have had my pneumonia inoculation a couple of years ago.

Comment

Latest news this morning, the Pope has become sick with running nose and sniffles and cancelled appearances for a bit. NOT attributed to coronavirus so far, no cause given as yet. Still, with the outbreak in Italy and the crowds he frequents, it does raise ones eyebrows !

Comment

Originally posted by Joel View Post
                              [FONT=Calibri]What Matt said - Coronavirus is a general term covering a variety/large family of viruses.

Perhaps true, but it does seem reasonable to have greater expectations in the 21st century, and considering how much tax money is supposed to be going towards this sort of thing.

[FONT=Calibri]How so? Having a greater understanding and being informed is useful, even if the world has many alarmists - and the people here generally seem much more reasonable than the average.
                              Parts of the world with better health care will have a much lower mortality rate, also lower population density will reduce transmission rates which is probably why China is having such a problem with this and other similar diseases. They don't have great health care for the ordinary guy and many families get crowded into one house in some area. Just right for the formation of a pandemic. Tax money to health care research and the CDC has been drastically cut by DJ Trump the first the crazy man who would be king. Don't expect any miracle cures.

It is not about having a greater understanding, it is causing panic where a problem has not developed yet. Yes there are cases popping up all over but it isn't an epidemic YET. What if people freak out more and just stay home. Maybe truck drivers don't deliver food and fuel, health works stay home. It could all happen if fear takes over and then the real deaths will come, not from the illness but from secondary causes. It could very well come to that. We live in a world where half the people are scared to death of something, just look at the number of preppers there are now and have been for over 50 years just waiting for the end of the world. We shouldn't add to that.
                              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Many here in the "richest country in the world" do not have sufficient (or any) health insurance and are working paycheck to paycheck (if they even have a job), so they will hesitate (or can't afford) to see a primary care physician. And so they will "tough it out" and go to work sick and infect many others. If it gets too bad they will swarm into ERs, where they must tend to everyone, but will only give enough care to stabilize their condition. There are also many anti-vaxxer and holistic health types who will eschew traditional care and science, and cause more problems in the US.
                                http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                                Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                                USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Working...
                                X