No announcement yet.

What did I buy?Anyone know what it is?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I buy?Anyone know what it is?

Made in Sweden, looks old

Early cordless drill prototype? LOL

Comment

Victorian bedroom toy?

Comment

Does not ring an immediate bell.

But it appears to clamp onto a table, etc, and to spin the rod rather quickly, given the apparent step-up ratio. That suggests winding up something, perhaps a weaver's tool for winding yarn onto a spool etc.

On a completely different tack, it might wind up fishing line onto a spool, or, perhaps, even a "lead" used aboard ship, although it looks somewhat light-built for use aboard ship..

I do not see what would hold a spool or similar item onto the rod, there may be a key, or a threaded area perhaps? Or maybe it was just set up with a collar and thumb screw.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

I bought it because it was different & I'm ready to put the 2nd Gatling, a 22lr together & hope I can use it there. It's not as authenic so I can use a belt from the shaft to a cogged pully inside.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	winder_2.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	1858214Click image for larger version

Name:	winder_1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	1858212This is a bobbin winder for a floor loom. 6 or 7 careers ago, back in the day, my wife and I made handwoven clothing and did the craft fair circuit. A bobbin presses onto the tapered spindle for winding yarn. The bobbin in then placed in the shuttle of the loom and thrown back and forth to make the weft. I made several of these but with sewing machine motors than than hand cranked. Pictures shortly.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mickeyf; 02-26-2020, 11:14 PM.
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Usually, the worm turns the gear, not the other way around.

Comment

Also, some of the best know well reputed looms are from Sweden - Glimakra.
                "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

To me it seems the helix angle is optimized to provide an efficient transfer of power from the hand crank to the output shaft. It looks like what, about 5 to 1 step up, or more, you probably don't lose much energy driving the worm that way, and you get a respectable amount of rpm on the output shaft. Using todays lubricants this device would probably still work well.
                  I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Kinda brings to mind a rope twisting device, to me. Though I've only seen a couple.
                    A google for such brought up this ebay item, which, though not exactly the same, does seem to share a similar appearance for the gear casting.
                    https://www.ebay.com/i/362624460256?...yABEgKO3vD_BwE
                    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I think winding cord, rope or other fibers is what it is. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
                        Victorian bedroom toy?
                        you know, just because you put the word "Victorian" ahead of your answer does not mean it's right... I mean - it's not a picture nail fer cri sakes lol

Comment

Dang, I actually had the right idea.... I figured I would be totally wrong and it would turn out to be something off the wall..

Keep eye on ball.
                          Hashim Khan

Comment

How strange... i just noticed one of those on the local Swedish auction site. Hold on a minute.

Yup, it is precisely what mickeyf and J Tiers said-- a thread spooling device commonly used in association with weaving looms. Some folks also adapt them for use in tying flies for fishing, it seems. Not a rare item; there are lots of them.

That is a clever adaptation you have in mind. Lemme see what i could use one of those for...

Last edited by Dr. Rob; 02-27-2020, 06:32 AM.

Comment

No doubt about it. A bobbin winder for (hand) weaving. X wife had one. With a drop or two of oil they work very well.

Comment

Working...
                              X