No announcement yet.

Thumper---A new 1 3/8" bore i.c. engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparky---Best of luck with the new tig. I haven't used mine enough to make many statements about it, but it surely do require coordination between left hand, right hand, and foot pedal.---Brian
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
      Sparky---Best of luck with the new tig. I haven't used mine enough to make many statements about it, but it surely do require coordination between left hand, right hand, and foot pedal.---Brian
      You left out the old fart eyesight we suffer from too !! I ordered a cheater lens for inside the welding hood to help with that issue.

Comment

• Actually, I had both eyes operated on and got new lenses last year. My vision is really good. I find that even with good eyes, it's difficult to see what is going on in the arc pool.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I must have done something right. I finished my fine tuning on Thumper, and was able to upload a video of it running. Youtube seems to be working okay for me now. There may be more videos of Thumper driving one of my mechanisms, but for now here is a video of Thumper by itself. thank you to all who have followed this build.---Brian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5Mc...ature=youtu.be
          Last edited by brian Rupnow; 05-02-2020, 12:05 PM.
          Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Just saw the video. Very cool, sounds like it is running steadily and well. Congratulations!

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
            Actually, I had both eyes operated on and got new lenses last year. My vision is really good. I find that even with good eyes, it's difficult to see what is going on in the arc pool.
            Interesting. I found that with tig, it was the EASIEST of all methods to see the pool and manipulate it while seeing what I was doing. And at that time I was developing cataracts. Stick was nearly impossible, mig was dependent on the power being used.

I had one eye done last year, and I have not done any welding since, so I have no information on how it would be now. That eye is now pretty slow to adjust to different light levels, so it may be less good than before, I don't know
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

• Running pretty sweet there Brian, congrats! You're getting good at this.
              Just for yucks, what's the rpm the engine is running at in the video?
              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

• Willy---I will put my tach on it later today and tel you the rpm. It is probably close to 1000 rpm but I will have a more precise answer later today.
                Brian Rupnow
                Design engineer
                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Looking good Brian. Sounds like it runs very well. Another great job. How strong is the air flow through your flywheels ? Do you have any trouble keeping the hat on your head when it is running
                  Larry - west coast of Canada

Comment

• It's not blowing a force 5 gale, but it is definitely moving air. I couldn't really feel it with my hand, so I bent down and felt it blowing on my face.
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Congrats Brian. Your latest sounds excellent. Thanks for keeping us entertained over the last month or so.
                      Glenn Bird

Comment

• Congrats Brian,
                        good job there

Comment

• Another excellent project Brian that I have eagerly followed, thanks! John

Comment

• Sounds really good, and looks great!

It may be difficult to achieve a really smooth idle and at the same time have it run well at full speed under load, without some sort of adjustable advance as well as carburetor mixture control. How well does it "rev" when you goose the throttle?
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

• I have a number of requests for plan sets. Tomorrow I will open each drawing and save it as a pdf file so that no special software is needed to open and print the drawings. This will take a couple of hours, as there are 60 drawings and some of them are multiple sheets. I charge $25 Canadian funds, payable to Paypal. If you send money to [email protected] at Paypal, they will notify me and I will send you a zip file with all of the part and assembly drawings. Please specify that it is the drawing set for "Thumper".---Brian Rupnow
                              Brian Rupnow
                              Design engineer
                              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• I was asked yesterday what rpm the engine was running at in the video. I checked it this morning with the engine driving the clutch. It seems very comfortable at 975 to 1000 rpm. If I turn the idle screw to let it run slower, it stumbles and stalls.
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X