No announcement yet.

Thumper---A new 1 3/8" bore i.c. engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

.........So we should see it running by Thursday then? LOL.... I look forward to following another of your builds along, your dedication to the hobby and attention to detail amazes me. Thanks for bringing us along as you go.
    -Don
    If it wasn't done the hard way, I didn't do it.

Lillooet
    British Columbia
    Canada.

Comment

Don--I'm not sure who gets more out of the postings---the people reading them or me creating them. I love posting about this kind of thing. I like the interaction with other people.---Brian
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
        Don--I'm not sure who gets more out of the postings---the people reading them or me creating them. I love posting about this kind of thing. I like the interaction with other people.---Brian
        Actually the same here. The interaction is nice.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Today was connecting rod day at my house. My, but there is a lot of work in one lousy connecting rod---and it isn't finished yet. I still have to turn 0.031" off each side and leave a boss at both ends. Also, I've added a shot of the biggest icicle in the world. It's hanging off the eves over my back deck. I don't think I have ever seen an icicle this big. It's over six foot long!!!

Brian Rupnow
          Design engineer
          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

And what's better than having one connecting rod?---Well of course, it's having two connecting rods. Now I have to go and chase down bearings and plates.
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Just got back from running around town. In one picture you see all of the material and bearings for Thumper ($98.00) in the other you see my new TIG welder, so new I haven't got it out of the box yet.

Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I was just imagining all the crazy things you could do if you changed the proportions of the lever or link..... move the torque peak around while the piston speed remains constant

Comment

In keeping with my "Make at least one part a day" policy, here is todays part. It is the cylinder mounting plate. Nothing really fancy here, but quite a few holes in different places. Thank God for DRO's.
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

This mornings work yielded up a finished baseplate and a muffler. Neither were difficult parts to make. I have to head downtown to the nut and bolt shop now, and do a bunch of searching for the correct receptacle box to plug my new tig welder into.
                    Brian Rupnow
                    Design engineer
                    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Tomorrow I will designate as "Side plate day". The side-plates are pretty well identical, except that the counterbored holes make them right and left hand. It is much less work if I can do all of the profile work on both plates at the same time. I will bolt the plates together , putting the connecting holes somewhere in the center area that gets milled away as a "last step". One plate will be drilled and tapped, the other will have countersunk or counterbored holes in it so it will lay flat. even the counterbored holes can be put in---When I separate the plates the bottom plate can be flipped over and counterbored.
                      Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

looking great Brian.

Had a thought about your fan flywheels. It may be better to have both of them blowing in. Fans typically do better blowing against resistance (like your engine) than pulling against resistance, plus they won't really be linked in the sense that one fan is pulling the air that one is pushing. There's too much in between and no good air path from one to the other. You'd be better off having both blowing in and then the air will escape along the centerline. Only possible issue is if it messes up your intake, not sure how much they're affected by atmospheric pressure and the like.

Comment

I came downstairs this morning with my cup of coffee and began laying out my side-plates. At this point I will join two pieces of material together, so all of the drilling and cutting applications ca be done at once on both plates. I trust my DRO's completely, but still lay everything out beforehand, just to be sure my layout makes sense and to give me assurance that I have the DRO in the places I really want to be.
                          Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
                            I came downstairs this morning with my cup of coffee and began laying out my side-plates. At this point I will join two pieces of material together, so all of the drilling and cutting applications ca be done at once on both plates. I trust my DRO's completely, but still lay everything out beforehand, just to be sure my layout makes sense and to give me assurance that I have the DRO in the places I really want to be.
                            Beautiful. There's more than once that the layout has prevented me from making severe mistakes.

Comment

Looking at your materials purchase, I may have everything I need on hand to build one of these. I'm looking forward to your completion and running of Thumper.
                              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                              Oregon, USA

Comment

Here we are with all of the major holes drilled. Eventually, all the center has to be cut out/machined away, and the outer profile machined. You can see the heads of the two 1/4" bolts which are holding the plates together.
                                Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X