No announcement yet.

Know where your fingers are

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have roped most of my life. Knowing where your fingers are is essential if you want to keep all your fingers. The rule of thumb in roping and dallying with cows or horses is to keep your thumb up! Really it is true. I have all my fingers and both thumbs!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
      At the time I cut my finger off, the doctor told my mother that although he could reattach muscles and tendons, there was nothing he could do about nerves.---BUT --A child six years old or younger could generate new nerves so the numbness in the finger would eventually dissapear. If the child was older than six, the nerves wouldn't regenerate. He must have knew his stuff pretty well, because eventually all of the feeling returned to that finger.
      That may be true but it's not completely true. In about 2009 I put a skill saw across three of my fingers, the worst to get it was my little finger which got the tendon, blood vessels and nerves cut on the gripping side. The other two were a bit better off with no tendons cut. After very skilled surgery I kept nearly all of the use of all of them, only the tip section of my little finger doesn't bend much.

After the surgery and for a long time I had no pain feeling in my little finger. I could stick a needle in it above the cut and didn't feel a thing. Over the years the feeling has come back and now if I pinch that skin I can feel pain, though reduced amount compared to below the cut. My thinking is that it can only be from partially repaired or regenerated nerves and I have lived through my forties since it happened.
      Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
      Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
      Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Nasty post. I've taken it down.
        Last edited by brian Rupnow; 02-29-2020, 06:34 PM.
        Brian Rupnow

Comment

Bloody mess. Don't put your finger up your nose when driving on a bumpy road . John b.
          John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

My dad was a tool and die maker for over 30 years. We both worked in the same tool room and we built and serviced a lot of automation for a Big 3 automaker. Lots and lots of places to lose fingers or parts of fingers and we had a few tool and die makers that were missing fingers. My dad retired with all of his fingers and about a month after he retired he cut off one of his index fingers to the first knuckle with a jointer that had the guard removed. Safety first.
            OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Years ago I met an old man that was missing a couple fingers on one hand and he told me how it happened, he was rebuilding a detroit diesel with another guy, bad idea as they are two strokes and have ports,,, he had his fingers in the bore to check a damaged port due to a damaged piston ring catching it and the other guy turned the engine over with just a wrench to check something else, does not take much at all as it's basically a finger shear, with massive amounts of flywheel behind it... you hear stories over the years and some really stick with you...

Comment

I have operated power tools from my teens. I even built a table saw from a kit in the old Popular Mechanics magazine and a sheet of 3/4" plywood. It had zero safety features and not a lot on safety in the instructions beyond a basic, "You all be careful when using this, now." Frankly it worried me so I was super cautious. A push stick was the very first thing I made with it and I did that very carefully.

I do take safety seriously and I still have all of my ten. I once did cut into my left, ring finger, about a quarter inch with a circular saw about 1.5" in diameter on my Unimat. I was cutting slots for the elevator hinges on a model aircraft. I lost the feeling in a short section of that finger. I can still find that numb area now. I just applied alcohol (Dr. Tichenor's actually) and bandaged it. It healed OK.

So, YES, I do keep careful track of where my fingers are. And the rest of me as well.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Not that it has anything to do with safety but the thread title - Know where your fingers are - reminded me of what I used to tell some people who thought they were being witty when they asked me what I was doing standing there with my hands in my pockets as if I was slacking off and should have been doing something. I'd tell them "That's so I know where they are when I want to use them".
                  Last edited by Arcane; 03-01-2020, 12:45 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

[QUOTE Know where your fingers are first!!![/QUOTE]

Brian ,Good advice but you should have told me this years ago.

Comment

Working...
                    X