Maintenance Shop Rehab - California Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmcphearson View Post
    During the snooping session I also noticed two framed somethings about 30"x40" nailed high up on a wall in a dark corner. They were both covered with crud and paint spray spatter. As I scraped the crud and paint spatter off the glass of this one with a utility blade and realized what it is, I thought to myself:

What kind of dumb **** spray paints something right next to these things? I figure the greenskeeper made these or had these made either for a presentation to the greens committee (members) or wanted a damned fine graph to refer to. This one shows the rain in inches for each day of the year with lines from the bottom. The three "curves" are the lake level in feet over the year. This one covers 1937, 1938 and 1939. The other one which I haven't touched yet covers 1934, 1935 and 1936. Hopefully it's not water damaged like this one is.
    Looks like you're having as much fun poking around and exploring as you are tuning that place up! I'm a little jealous. I wonder if those graphs were made to show any correlation between the lake's water level and the golf course irrigation system.

Originally posted by danlb View Post
    It's the stupid people of the world that make life more interesting for folks like us.
    It's the stupid people of the world that make life more frustrating for folks like us.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
      best way to stop ringing would be to make a steel>plywood>steel sandwich. If not that then angle iron underneath.

That big vise would be too low for me, but I'm not threading pipe with mine A small 3" Wilton bullet vise would be nice, it's what I have attached to my bench. Small(ish) but very sturdy and a HUGE opening.
      A low vise is just right like that. Assuming that your workbench height is correct, then that means that things placed in the vise are just right for beating on things. I moved Dad's big Prentiss down from a tall workbench to the same height and it was better for 95% of my uses. Occasionally, I do wish it was up high again.

I have to agree with the logic from the others. Big vise down low for heatin' and beatin', smaller vise up high for more precision work.
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

yes, I don't tend to do much beating and heating, though I do a fair bit of sheet metal work in the vise. Most of my stuff is small detail work, probably much like the OPs small vise work.

Comment

Working...
        X