No announcement yet.

Maintenance Shop Rehab - California Edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I filed an osha complaint the other day. And my union roughnecks from the home office showed up yesterday and had a little meeting with management. The GM threw a couple punches at me today and whiffed.
    -Roland
    Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Originally posted by rmcphearson View Post
      ... The GM threw a couple punches at me today and whiffed.
      Even if he whiffed that's assault (depending upon CA law). Now, if you have a video of it, you have him by the balls.

Comment

I never would have called OSHA, now they will find a way to get rid of you. One way or another. If I had called I never would have told anyone but they will find out.
        Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

The punches are figurative. The same day the **** hit the fan they pulled my assistant out of the shop and reassigned him somewhere else. The same day. I can't believe they are that dumb. This is clearly retaliation and according to osha...a crime. I'll be filing a retaliation claim Monday. The interesting wrinkle here is that if I had not filed the formal osha complaint they could have retaliated under the radar. Since I did file a formal complaint what they are doing is a crime.
          -Roland
          Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Make sure you keep your own copies of everything.
            I've worked in places where they get away with doing whatever they want for decades thanks to back door deals with regulators.
            Despite blatant violations the whole place knew about the squeaky wheels got replaced anyhow.
            It seems management felt that the purpose of their safety program was to give them plausible deniability.
            Actual safe practices was secondary.
            25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by rmcphearson View Post
              Here I go again. I recently took the reins of a not-very-smooth-running golf course equipment maintenance shop, this time in Northern California. This will be my fifth such golf shop that I have taken over as head wrench. The previous shops being in Bama, upstate NY, NJ. A couple of them have been basket cases- dysfunctional pig pens with no equipment records kept and very inefficient. I usually stay for a few years and transform them into clean, organized, efficient operations.

My new shop consists of a small shop (what I will call the "workshop") which may have been built along with the course in 1924. Then there is a modern large shop attached, which was built in the 1970s. The workshop, where I will do the majority of the "surgery", is well-lit, heated, and is a real pig pen. The large shop contains a 2 post automotive lift, reel grinders, and houses most of the equipment at night. A typical 18 hole private high end club such as this one will have around one million dollars of equipment to keep up with. From weedeaters to backhoes.

I've been here over a month and have been trying to restore the reel mowers back to factory specs, while repairing the grinders and doing the shop rehab at the same time. Kinda like tuning a carb while driving the car at the same time. I haven't even had time to look through all the tools and supplies that are piled up, and stuffed into hiding places, collecting dust for decades. There are some antique tools here mixed in with modern high quality stuff- Large roll around Miller mig welder, o/a rig, Parker hyd hose crimper, old Delta drill press, wifi etc.

There is a tap chart on the wall that may have been tacked up when this shop was built. It is an Ace brand that shows all the common NC and NF threads as well as the following:
              1-56 NS
              3/16-32 NS
              10-30 NS
              12-32 NEF
              14-?? (I didn't write the pitch down correctly on my notes)
              1/4-24 NS
              1/4-32 NEF

One of my first projects is going to be a proper work table and vise. Currently, there is a wood counter with a little 4" Chinese vise that was screwed down so the rear jaw is not proud of the front of the counter which is pretty dumb. The jaws have been smoothed down from use and they are loose of course. The jaw shank is bent of course and the swivel lock downs won't lock of course. And the counter/vise is too high of course. I think you get the picture- there has been adequate financial support to outfit this shop in the past but this is the kind of sorry **** that has been produced.

My hardinge cataract lathe made the trip out here with me and I hope to get it up and running later in the year. A small mill may find it's way into the shop as well.

Cheers

Maybe you can have your own TV show "Maintenance Shop Rescue" !!!

JL..............

Comment

Smehls is gonna be pissed.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
                  Smehls is gonna be pissed.
                  ???? There are 2 "likes", so at least 2 people know what Smehls means, but I have no clue. Nor does Google.

Comment

My helper is originally from Fiji. We have a shop joke. When we rig or patch something to get by temporarily we call it Fiji fixing. He coined that phrase and I’ve been playing along. Someone who hasn’t been around here long and is not part of the crew overheard me say that one day and it was reported to HR. That was a couple months ago and I never heard anything from HR about it.

Well, after I filed the osha complaint the GM accused me of making derogatory comments about someone’s ethnicity. Wow, I mean it was a blatant accusation of being a racist…right after I filed a complaint. This cowardly accusation happened in front of the HR girl. I promptly requested to have a meeting with the HR girl and bring my helper to explain our shop banter. I just wanted her to understand the origin of the phrase Fiji Fix. That meeting happened yesterday.

At the end of the meeting my helper made a statement to the HR girl that I think I will remember until the day I die. It was the funniest thing I’ve seen in a long while.
                    Last edited by rmcphearson; 07-28-2021, 01:56 PM.
                    -Roland
                    Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

So most of our crew are of Indian origin, most in arranged marriages. They have been supervised by a female for the past several months which is a new experience for them. The supervisor has been doing a fantastic job. During my meeting yesterday with the HR girl and my helper (about comments that can be overheard and misinterpreted) the subject of the new female supervisor came up. I remarked that she had been doing a fantastic job under different circumstances. My helper concurred and said:

”Yes, she has been doing a fantastic job, especially considering she is a woman.”
                      -Roland
                      Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

You could have heard a N95 drop.
                        -Roland
                        Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

What did your helper say to the HR girl?
                          Kansas City area

Comment

document everything in email and copy yourself off site. Too bad things go the way they do, it really doesn't cost more to do things right in the long run... Jim

Comment

I am wondering if management/HR is aware that Indian culture is *vastly* different from Western culture in some ways, and this is one of them. (The main boulevard out front is mostly owned by them nowadays - and they are successful business people!)
                              And I feel obliged to point out that most often, HR's job is to protect senior management.
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

???? There are 2 "likes", so at least 2 people know what Smehls means, but I have no clue. Nor does Google.
                                Judge Smails from Caddyshack:

Comment

Working...
                                X