Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New project

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New project

    Friend of mine that I do work for dropped this off today. Wants me to make a nice stand for it.
    He thinks its from a 1904 or so Locomobile.
    One interesting thing is the single ball bearing on either side of the cross head. I've never seen that before.
    It runs well.






  • #2
    Hi,

    For a lack of a better word, that's kind of kinky. But it makes sense with how the engine is designed. I like it!
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

    Comment


    • #3
      Neat old engine, I've seen a similar ball bearing guide before on the blade guide arm height adjustment on a wood working re-saw, although that one used more balls separated in a plastic cage.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

      Comment


      • #4
        That ball bearing looks like an early version of a linear, ball slide. Short stroke so one ball will do.

        Very nice looking engine. The two cylinders are timed in quadrature, I assume, so there are no dead spots.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

        Make it fit.
        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          That ball bearing looks like an early version of a linear, ball slide. Short stroke so one ball will do.

          Very nice looking engine. The two cylinders are timed in quadrature, I assume, so there are no dead spots.
          Yeah, I use linear ball slides all the time. Just never seen it in this application, on this type of engine.
          As a matter of fact, in an engine that I designed that is on the cover of Steam and Stirling Engines, book 3, I used them.

          Yes this engine's crank is 90* out, self starting.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'd make a coffee table out of it with a glass top.

            Comment


            • #7
              That thing is a marvel, It will be neat to see running as everything is so exposed like it was intentional...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                That thing is a marvel, It will be neat to see running as everything is so exposed like it was intentional...
                I can get a video of it running. The fellow that owns is has quite a collection of engines of all types. Most all run. So, making a coffee table out of it is not going to happen.
                He likes to hook up the steam engines at any time and watch them run.
                He has some large ones that are just mesmerizing to watch.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sid pileski View Post

                  I can get a video of it running. The fellow that owns is has quite a collection of engines of all types. Most all run. So, making a coffee table out of it is not going to happen.
                  He likes to hook up the steam engines at any time and watch them run.
                  He has some large ones that are just mesmerizing to watch.
                  They don't have to be mutually exclusive ... just think ... a steam powered coffee table!

                  I would also like to see a video of it running. There is another contributor to this forum - and I'm embarrassed that I can't remember his name now - who has a similar steam engine and was thinking of making a steam powered bicycle contraption.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Is it really cast bronze or just lighting / paint? There is a design of trolley bogie for 5in locomotives that uses a single ball each side of the rotating pivot running in a groove. Mostly the balls go missing so they get converted to sliding surface.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Baz View Post
                      Is it really cast bronze or just lighting / paint? There is a design of trolley bogie for 5in locomotives that uses a single ball each side of the rotating pivot running in a groove. Mostly the balls go missing so they get converted to sliding surface.
                      It is cast bronze.

                      Sid

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Last year of the Locomobile steam engine. They continued making gas-olene engine powered vehicles until the Great Depression.Click image for larger version

Name:	1902locomobilel__medium.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	1859190
                        Salem, Oregon

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X