Bridgeport mill brake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridgeport mill brake

I have a Bridgeport mill, it got the reeves drive on it, J2 head I think it's called. The spindle brake works, but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to be able to set and lock the brake on. It has a cam feature on the brake but it sure doesn't seem to want to go over center. Even if it did go over center, the bushing it cams against spins - when the handle pulled to the side for braking action and pulled out away toward me, it won't stay in position. Is this how it's supposed to be? I've had the mill 4 years and it's done that since day one.

Simply need to know, is this normal?

Thanks

The brake doesn't lock. You have to hold it.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy View Post
      The brake doesn't lock. You have to hold it.
      I've used 5 different J-heads, 2 different 2J-heads, and 1 J-head round column. They all locked but the cam doesn't go over center. It just kind of wedges in place, enough to keep the brake on.
      Last edited by Fasttrack; 03-06-2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Is it this type? Mine does pop over and lock.

If I remember it is adjustable. Lemme know if you need more.. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	lock.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1860120
        Attached Files
        Last edited by JRouche; 03-07-2020, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
          Is it this type? Mine does pop over and lock.

If I remember it is adjustable. Lemme know if you need more.. JR

Views:	698
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	1859813
          THAT one had better lock ! Its a pic of the hi/low range selector, NOT the brake !!

Comment

Over then up for j head.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

THAT one had better lock ! Its a pic of the hi/low range selector, NOT the brake !!

A belief is the most difficult perception to change.

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

I was recently watching some videos by H&W and I recall them saying there is an adjustment.

metalmagpie

Comment

What about the step pulley heads?

Mine is a Jet clone step pulley head, so maybe even more different but maybe not. The brake works well when actuating the lever by hand but does not cam over or wedge in place, or lock in any way. It sounds like maybe there's an adjustment for that?

On a related note - what are you guys' thoughts about using the brake to slow down & stop the spindle (after turning power off), like for power tapping or something like that? I've mostly only used it to hold the spindle when it's already stopped; and am not clear if it's ok to use it in a dynamic situation, I've tried it a couple times and it does work but haven't done more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Yondering View Post
                    On a related note - what are you guys' thoughts about using the brake to slow down & stop the spindle (after turning power off), like for power tapping or something like that?
                    I use it to stop the spindle, but not from high speeds. I let it coast down a little first. Not sure if I can get a replacement pad for it. Mine powers off when the brake is applied.

Comment

Mine locks too. The radius at the back locks it when pushed up. The brake works in either direction--pushed to rear or pulled to front.

I don't have a picture of that area on mine but here's one out of the manual.

Name:	BP Head.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	1860013

Comment

Forgot to mention: Notice that is says "Spindle Brake AND Lock".

Comment

I just bought a Bridgeport last summer and I have used the brake to stop the spindle in between operations but never knew I could lift the lever and lock it. So thanks for the info and my brake works as it should.
                          Tom - Spotsylvania, VA

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post

Hahaaa! Ima Idiot! Thanks. Fixed it JR

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

I've used 5 different J-heads, 2 different 2J-heads, and 1 J-head round column. They all locked but the cam doesn't go over center. It just kind of wedges in place, enough to keep the brake on.
                              They all can be adjusted to go full over. I dont suggest that.

Its a working brake.not a parking break on my lovely.

She has air brakes.....JR

Views:	292
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	1860222

Comment

Working...
                              X