Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, in Seattle with the coronavirus

Things are getting a little weird.

Went to Costco the other day with our usual items on the shopping list. Toilet paper was totally sold out, apparently there had been a fist fight after someone took a package out of another's cart. Our favorite frozen pizza, sold out, a few other items were sold out too. Very unusual for Costco.

Amazon warehouse workers are still being paid even though a good many are staying home. So much for 2 day Prime delivery, we're waiting for a package of sanitary wipes ordered over a week ago.

No face masks anywhere, even medical clinics are having trouble getting them. Forget about any hand sanitizers or wipes. Our regular grocery store says beans and rice are getting hard to find.

Generally long lines at the grocery store with people stockpiling foods.

University of Washington shut down after a staff person was tested positive. Public schools are shutting down.

News reports from the care center in Kirkland seem to indicate chaos where there were 12 or so deaths. Staff didn't have face masks , etc, etc.

As of a couple days ago the local newspaper indicated there had only been about 1900 tests for the virus done statewide which seems very strange considering we were the first major outbreak in the USA.

I'm planning on going to a tool estate sale this morning, maybe I'll be the only one there?

Standard panic conditions now apply.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

I freaked out and bought 2 lbs of rice yesterday and am already down to just 1 lb so am starting to panic again....

Comment

I think the panic being spread by the click bait media is much more dangerous than the virus. A stockpiling frenzy can throw a large spanner into food logistics and will lead to shortages for others. Rather dangerous in a just in time logistics world.

Comment

Lots of panic. Nobody needs masks right now, certainly not the healthy. Masks are for the infected so they can keep "it" to themselves.

I read....somewhere that counterfeit carbide inserts and other cheap crap from china are becoming almost impossible to find. Lathe users are being forced to dig in their toolboxes for old HSS bits, only to realize that they've forgot how to grind them.

Comment

It's odd that in one sentence the Medical profession is saying that masks will not prevent catching the virus, but in the next sentence they say that you should not buy them so that masks will be available for the nurses and doctors that are caring for those who have the virus. HuH? It works for them but not for us. Hmmmm.

We laid in a supply of TP and other staples just in case. Not a lot, but enough to get through a month of isolation. Unfortunately, an antacid that I take to manage a stomach problem is in short supply. A related drug was recalled and millions of people were told to use my brand instead. Sigh. I only have 2 weeks worth left.

Just in case things really go to hell, I also set a pail underneath the cable modem to catch any unused bits that we may need to recycle. All programmers know about deleted information being sent to the bit bucket.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

The number of deaths from the regular flu is at 17,000 and counting in the US. We have 12 deaths, apparently from Covid 19 and everybody is panicking, thanks media!
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I think the biggest problem with this virus, is the news media and social media. They have put all hypochondriacs into panic mode.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                Oregon Coast

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                  It's odd that in one sentence the Medical profession is saying that masks will not prevent catching the virus, but in the next sentence they say that you should not buy them so that masks will be available for the nurses and doctors that are caring for those who have the virus. HuH? It works for them but not for us. Hmmmm.

We laid in a supply of TP and other staples just in case. Not a lot, but enough to get through a month of isolation. Unfortunately, an antacid that I take to manage a stomach problem is in short supply. A related drug was recalled and millions of people were told to use my brand instead. Sigh. I only have 2 weeks worth left.

Dan
                  You and I not being healthcare workers means our exposure will be limited to random chance instead of being bombarded by hundreds, if not thousands of infected people. I don't need, nor do I want a mask, plus people forget other things can be used as a mask, bandannas come to mind.

There are shortages of all sorts of things coming from China, particularly pharmaceuticals. One local pharmacy had a list posed of all the common generics they are out of because of China essentially being shutdown.

Someone from HHS said a couple weeks ago that the US should probably start manufacturing medical supplies and pharmaceuticals again, gee, ya think??

I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I have heard of panic buying, but when I did a normal shop yesterday, there were no empty shelves, and I saw no signs of any of the other shoppers with overflowing trolleys. I already have a stock of toilet paper, but only because I was going to be less mobile having just had a knee replaced, and not knowing in advance that I would be able to resume driving after only three weeks.

I ordered four lathe tools from China which were 12mm square including 10 DCMT 0702 for only £16.32 including postage to fit the Atlas 12 X 24 lathe we are working on. They arrived today having been ordered 16 days ago despite the current problems.
                    Last edited by old mart; 03-07-2020, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I don't get the toilet paper thing,,, isn't that like putting the cart ahead of the horse? I mean, first off take care of the food shortage problem then you can and will have to worry about the poop factor later --- and you can always improvise with TP, like an old sock or something,,, phone books could work also if the going got that tough but starving to death I would think a bigger problem...

Comment

The fact that people are overreacting isn't a surprise. What IS surprising me, is that many people are under-reacting. What is most disturbing is the governments gross under-reaction early on.
                        S. Korea has had the ability to test 10,000 people a day. The US had 500 tests total - keep in mind we have had over 2 months to see this coming and to see how this is playing out in China. With extreme measures taken in China, ones that are simply not possible in the US, the virus was still extremely difficult to contain. For weeks, more test kits were 'a few days away at most', yet our testing capabilities are still anemic. They are ramping up fast though, but we are getting pretty late in the game.

Most disturbing is the suppression and lack of information from the agencies typically responsible for informing us (which have, for the first time to my knowledge, sometimes intentionally misinformed us). The total number of tests should have skyrocketed after the first confirmed cases, but it seems we are a month or more behind. Rather than demonstrate this fact with the appropriate statistical data, the data was removed from the CDC website. There is a lot of denial going on for some strange reason.

A variety of things (we have no idea exactly what) are not going to be available for awhile. Everybody here surely knows that we get most of our 'stuff' from China. When you send hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people home and shut down factories, the supply chain gets broken and there will be shortages.
                        I made a supplies availability warning in this thread:
                        https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...ery-scary-news

The fact is that if you are healthy and not old, there is an 80% chance (best data currently available), that you will be fine and have symptoms no worse than the common flu. HOWEVER, if you have the virus and go to the store and touch things, you will infect your neighbors, some of which WILL have problems. If you visit your parents, you will likely infect them. If you are 70-80 years old, the mortality rate is 8-14%. This virus seems to spread quite easily, there STILL are many unknowns, there is no treatment (so the best medical system in the world helps very little), and a vaccine is likely over a year away.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post

Dan
                          Most people do not know how to properly wear and fit a respirator nor a nuance dust mask. A mask, properly worn only provides some protection, the Corolla virus can infect through your eyes as well.

Comment

I just came back from South Korea and Shanghai. Granted, I never got off the airplane both times I went to Shanghai, it is very evident you would have less of a chance of getting this virus in Asia than you will in the USA.
                            In South Korea, I would walk over to the Lotte Mart next to the hotel. Most people were staying home, out of public, those that were in public were keeping to themselves, wearing masks, not congregating.
                            Shanghai Pudong airport was a scene out of the Langoleers. It was dead, only a couple of cargo airplanes moving, all the passenger birds parked at the gates. Imagine an airport as large as DFW, and as busy as O'Hare just being dead. Zombie apocalypse. The Chinese came on board in Shanghai wearing hazmat to take our temps. The hotel in South Korea took your temp multiple times, couldn't walk past the front desk without getting it taken. IR cameras set up to take every ones temps.

It is going to spread like wildfire in the USA simply because of attitudes. Skip the buffets, don't touch anything without washing your hands thoroughly before eating finger food, rubbing your eyes, touching your face, etc. If you have symptoms, wear a mask so you don't spread the droplets. Have little kids? Apparently little kids do just fine with it, but keep grandma and grandpa away.
                            It is going to put a huge hurt on domestic passenger airlines. It has actually been very good for where I work. With the airlines not flying, and therefore not carrying cargo in their bellies, we've been tasked with taking up the slack.
                            Hysteria will spread, but so will warmer weather which this virus seems to have a hard time with. It is not airborne, just droplets, maybe fecal matter.

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post
                              Standard panic conditions now apply.
                              The result of the USA not being prepared. Or as we say in aviation the Seven P's. Proper Personal Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance. Going for more rice myself😀

Comment

Working...
                              X