OT, in Seattle with the coronavirus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
    I figure after all the tp and paper towels are sold out, tube socks will be next. 😁
    One of the advantages of being an old fart is that I remember the days before disposable diapers and baby wipes. I know for a fact that you can clean off a baby's butt even after they have lain in a soiled diaper for while using a simple clean washcloth and a bit of soap. Those wash cloths are reusable too, once you rinse them well, then run through the washing machine. Been there, done that, no longer grossed out by that stuff anymore.

Dan
    P.S. I have a stash of tube socks in the garage that I use for rags when washing the car, so I'm covered if I run out of washcloths too.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• What Danlb said. I remember dealing with 200 cotton diapers after my brother was born...

Comment

• Originally posted by danlb View Post
        Day one of the "shelter in place" for the San Francisco bay area. It's going to be a long 3 weeks, especially since I only stocked up on enough TP for 2 weeks. A real question: What's the difference between quarantine, shelter in place and house arrest? We can't go anywhere, can't have visitors, and are faced with a misdemeanor charge if we are caught breaking the rules. Not an infraction, but a charge that you have to report when applying for a job. We are not under martial law, but it seems close to it.
        (snip)

The real down side is that with nowhere to go, I have enough time on my hands to plant the garden, touch up some paint and rewire a few things to mount the outside security cams. Spring's almost here and the weather is not too bad. I'm not supposed to go the the hardware store.

Dan
        Dan, there was an article in today's Chronicle about the restrictions in the Bay Area. We are allowed to go outdoors, go to the hardware store, grocery store, drug store. Restaurants are allowed to stay open but only for pickup and delivery orders. There are more details...

-js
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• Creative use of 2-ply will extend it's supply
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• My eldest brother drives delivery of freight to local grocery store chains. He said company wide, regulations have been relaxed,(don't know if it's official or not) they can now drive up to 16 hours a day and run 20% overweight to speed up restocking. They went from a 75 load a week average to running 160 loads this week, traffic of course has been light which is a great help.

Comment

• I'm off 'til the end of the semester. Most likely I'll be recording lectures and posting them on the class website, then doing Q&A sessions with Zoom. Lots of tradeoffs - more work preparing lectures vs. 2 1/2h a day I get back from not commuting vs. less chocolate/ cake that I can eat due to not commuting. Also no more research this semester which is a pain, my student was just gearing up to go full throttle when she got back from Spring Break.

it'll get worse before it gets better, but hopefully most people will observe the measures that are being implemented and the curve will be flattened enough to keep within hospital capacity.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

Dan, there was an article in today's Chronicle about the restrictions in the Bay Area. We are allowed to go outdoors, go to the hardware store, grocery store, drug store. Restaurants are allowed to stay open but only for pickup and delivery orders. There are more details...
                -js
                I suspect that buying manure and potted plants is not going to be considered "essential" no matter what my wife says.

The pertinent part from the order at https://www.sfdph.org/dph/alerts/fil...r-in-Place.pdf :
                DIRECTING ALL INDIVIDUALS LIVING IN THE COUNTY TO SHELTER AT THEIR
                PLACE OF RESIDENCE EXCEPT THAT THEY MAY LEAVE TO
                PROVIDE OR RECEIVE CERTAIN ESSENTIAL SERVICES OR
                ENGAGE IN CERTAIN ESSENTIAL ACTIVITIES AND WORK FOR
                ESSENTIAL BUSINESS AND GOVERNMENT SERVICES;
                At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

• Yes, danlb, that looks very close to marshall law, except that the city is also serving as the military. If they suspend habeas corpus and bring in California National Guard to enforce their ordinance, the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act would possibly come into play, since it prohibits military involvement in domestic law enforcement without congressional approval.

Dan
                  Salem, Oregon

Comment

• Like many people in Seattle who are able to (or have to) work from home I just had two wonderful unscheduled sunny spring days in my garden. Sun is supposed to shine for the next 4 days, so if I turn off the TV and internet, my life is perfect.

10's of thousands out of work now though, and many more coming, so some sorrow around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danl View Post
                      Yes, danlb, that looks very close to marshall law, except that the city is also serving as the military. If they suspend habeas corpus and bring in California National Guard to enforce their ordinance, the 1878 Posse Comitatus Act would possibly come into play, since it prohibits military involvement in domestic law enforcement without congressional approval.

Dan
                      First of all, Dan, please learn how to spell "martial law". Those of us who read (rather than listen to talk-show hosts) will find your comments to be ignorant.

It's entirely clear that local and state governments can impose restrictions in emergencies. And, I must mention, that the California National Guard (I served with them for ten years) is under the control of the Governor, not the President. Unless the President nationalizes the Guard, which is unlikely.

That means that the Posse Comitaus act, which is highly suspect anyway, has nothing to do with our situation - it refers to the military of the United States. As I explained above, the CA NG does not answer to the President.

Hope this helps you understand.

-js
                      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

• Thanks Jim for the clarification. That all certainly makes sense. I was not trying to stir any pot...it just appeared to be a fairly strong ordinance in terms of restrictions of citizens. As the other Dan said, the infraction would be a misdemeanor, so I suppose no big deal. If the Governor did call out the NG and authorized it to take any and all necessary steps to assure compliance, things could certainly get rough in the SF area.

Dan
                        Salem, Oregon

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post

First of all, Dan, please learn how to spell "martial law". Those of us who read (rather than listen to talk-show hosts) will find your comments to be ignorant.

It's entirely clear that local and state governments can impose restrictions in emergencies. And, I must mention, that the California National Guard (I served with them for ten years) is under the control of the Governor, not the President. Unless the President nationalizes the Guard, which is unlikely.

That means that the Posse Comitaus act, which is highly suspect anyway, has nothing to do with our situation - it refers to the military of the United States. As I explained above, the CA NG does not answer to the President.

Hope this helps you understand.

-js
                          Ooops...! Proof reading is especially important when rendering a correction.

But on the issue of using activated national guard forces, I'm pretty sure they have been used in law enforcement roles before. Some civil rights actions I'm recalling from the 50's-60's time frame (schools in Little Rock, Ark), and I believe the Kent State debacle during the Vietnam era, also used nat'l guard troops.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• Indeed, Lynn. I was in the CA NG and was called to active duty during the riots in Berkeley in -ummmm- 1967. Just before my time some of us were called to SF also.

Funny thing about the activation for Berkeley - our unit, from the SF/Berkeley/Oakland area were ordered to report to the armory immediately. By phone. We were to bring all our issued gear (helmets, sleeping bags, bayonets, everything).

We assembled in the main area and were marched down to the motor pool where there was lots of empty space. We were told that we were locked down - we were fed, slept on the concrete, not allowed out for several days.

During that time the demonstrations and confrontations on Telegraph Avenue were between troops from Bakersfield and (ahem) our friends, wives, girlfriends. Bayonets pointed out and some of our girls who walked up and stuck daisies in the barrels of their rifles.

There are photos of some of those encounters.

My point: the general staff of the CA NG were smart enough *not* to put us into a situation which could have developed into a real disaster - they didn't want to have to court-martial those of us who just would not shove a bayonet into one of our friends.

We weren't just soldiers, we were also people. With backbones.

I felt (and still do) that the generals who were making those decisions were very astute.

I served my last four years as a Platoon Sergeant (E7).

Enough of an old man's memories...

-js
                            Last edited by Jim Stewart; 03-18-2020, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• Oh, I missed a point you made: the troops that were sent to Little Rock were from the 101st Airborne, sent by President Eisenhower.

And yes, Kent State was NG troops. We were ashamed.

Comment

• Every time there is a state of emergency declared for a Hurricane a curfew is put in place to keep people who don't need to be on the streets off them. If you have a legitimate reason to be out, you won't have a problem other than possibly answering a few questions if asked. Yes sir, no sir, is the order of the day and as long as you are respectful and aren't out looting or just being a belligerent d**k, you shouldn't have any problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X