Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non circular boring... (fun with Linuxcnc of course..)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost there...

Comment

so far so good..

Comment

the new encoder seems to work a bit better

Comment

That's a great looking finish considering how it's made. Well, done, thanks for bringing us along for this project.

Comment

Just to see if it could be done?

Comment

Thats too cool Sam !! I was wondering if your custom HAL and INI file code was such that the machine became somewhat special purpose with that config, not being able to run normal gcode profiles etc. without a different config launched. I guess the video answers that question with the circle pocket being done first. Did you have to make any changes to the config files to do the circle pocket with a flat? This could add a LOT of increased functionality to a mill !!! I may try it someday, its much easier when someone else does all the work !!

I love linuxcnc, just setup a second spindle on my bridgeport witha china 24K rpm spindle and huanyang vfd using RS485 for control, works great. Kids stuff for my new config compared to the things you do.
              Last edited by Sparky_NY; 04-29-2020, 07:48 AM.

Comment

It doesn't effect normal machining. The hal componant gets enabled/disabled when needed. (ready for a gcode remap maybe)

I would love to have it take in a text file with 0-360 degree points for a odd shape. Better yet would be to read in a dxf shape.. that might be above my pay grade...

sam

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
                Thats too cool Sam !! I was wondering if your custom HAL and INI file code was such that the machine became somewhat special purpose with that config, not being able to run normal gcode profiles etc. without a different config launched. I guess the video answers that question with the circle pocket being done first. Did you have to make any changes to the config files to do the circle pocket with a flat? This could add a LOT of increased functionality to a mill !!! I may try it someday, its much easier when someone else does all the work !!

I love linuxcnc, just setup a second spindle on my bridgeport witha china 24K rpm spindle and huanyang vfd using RS485 for control, works great. Kids stuff for my new config compared to the things you do.

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                  It doesn't effect normal machining. The hal componant gets enabled/disabled when needed. (ready for a gcode remap maybe)

I would love to have it take in a text file with 0-360 degree points for a odd shape. Better yet would be to read in a dxf shape.. that might be above my pay grade...

sam

I was thinking later, I bet this would work equally well on a lathe. Rotary broaching without a broach LOL

Comment

I already have lathe mode.. (The video of me machining the outside.. - but it would work the same inside) Not tested very much..

Comment

Originally posted by skunkworks View Post
                      I already have lathe mode.. (The video of me machining the outside.. - but it would work the same inside) Not tested very much..
                      Lathe mode for outside? Attach a tool post grinder, now everyone can create hardened camshafts and cam lobes with ease. Turn the lathe into a camshaft grinder. Perfect!

Comment

Sure - and what about crank grinding.. (where the grinding wheel would touch at different points...

Andy already did a mockup of that type of grinding..

Originally posted by RB211 View Post

Lathe mode for outside? Attach a tool post grinder, now everyone can create hardened camshafts and cam lobes with ease. Turn the lathe into a camshaft grinder. Perfect!

Comment

My cnc lathe has a dynapath 40 control which works well and I really like it..... BUT.... if it so much as looks at me funny, its going to get a linuxcnc retrofit. I use linuxcnc on the mill but can't justify retrofitting the lathe, YET....

Comment

cutter relief in important. The one on the right was cutting higher up on the tool in the corner. (causing the crap finish)

The slight line (you can really see on the left one) meandering down the 'flat' is backlash comp

Comment

Ok, lets see a spline now

Comment

does this count?

Comment

Working...
                                X