CCW Not O/T. Maching gun bodies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCW Not O/T. Maching gun bodies.

Oh, I dont carry a gun. In was i the Navy for 8 years before the 20 years with LASD.

I was a missle and gun tech in the Navy. LASD? Talk to the Range Masters up at the North Range and my .$% at 100 yards up hill. The gong 100 up hill. I pulled out my .45 and shot it twiice.

Not a normal .45. Yes, its a boomer. I load my own.. JR

Apologies for probably a dumb question but what is LASD?

I've heard of LAPD (Los Angeles Police Dept?) but not come across the term LASD before...

Cheers
    Batt (aka ignorant in the UK )

Comment

Originally posted by batt-man View Post
      Apologies for probably a dumb question but what is LASD?

I've heard of LAPD (Los Angeles Police Dept?) but not come across the term LASD before...

Cheers
      Batt (aka ignorant in the UK )
      Good question !!

Lets also ask, What is a boomer? I have done reloading for many years and never heard the term.

And, how big was the gong? 100yds isn't that far.

Comment

At not quite 2am, I think he's on pain medication.
        LASD = Los Angles Sheriff's Department. I was Bexar County Sheriff's Department. Before that, I was on a couple of rifle teams. I could make a "kill" shot on a target at 1,000yds. More with a better rifle. 100yds was pistol practice back then and we still carried revolvers.

I do carry. What of it?

Comment

Would you per chance be on the Navy Reserve Team? If so ever Been to Camp Perry? We may have met.

Comment

OK so probably another dumb question - what's the difference between a sherrif and a policeman?

Sorry to sidetrack but i've never really understood this - you guys have police / sherrif's / state troopers ? don't they all fundamentally do the same job ?

Comment

One more dumb question. Is this still a machining forum?
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Typically police work for a government and are hired by the government. City Police, and state police.

A sheriff is elected by the people of a county (or parish) to be the main law enforcement official for the county. In essence they are the only law enforcement official directly accountable to the people. In theory a sheriff's deputy is selected by the sheriff to operate under his or her authority because the sheriff can't be everywhere at once. In realitity most sheriff's departments use their local county human resources department to hire and fire deputies just like any other county organization.

Each type of law enforcement agency is accountable to their own hierarchy. State police work on statewide issues, patrol major highways, and answer to the state. City police answer to a particular city's administration and focus local issues in that city, and a sheriff answers to the people of the county he or she is elected to serve.

Usually counties cover broad reaches across a state which may encompass more than one city or town. Sometimes many cities and towns.

Interestingly Los Angelos County is completely encompassed by Los Angelos (the city) and surrounded immediately by other cites without break. .

As to jurisdiction. In the past various cities and counties jurisdictions and authority ended at their geopolitical boundary, but in recent decades there has been a trend to "state" certify law enforcement officers and deputies. For example: All of the officers of the Yuma PD in Yuma Arizona are state certified and "may" execute their police powers anywhere in the state of Arizona they may need to go in execution of their duties They still are employed by and answer to the city of Yuma. Their job description (roughly) is to patrol, police, and investigate things within and relative to the city of Yuma. Because they are state certified they can go anywhere in the state necessary to do those things. A thief can not simply leave the city to avoid apprehension if the police know who they want to arrest.

Federal agents answer to federal agencies and focus on issues that may be country wide related to their agency and the reason for their agency's existence. You won't find a BATFE agent directing traffic in Mayberry or an FBI agent writing speeding tickets on I-10.

It can be more complicated than that, and I am sure their are variations, but that should capture the gist of it.

*** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                  Maybe, but this was a 'maching' topic,,,,, which I have read the OP several times and don't know what to make of it. lol

Comment

It seems to me we didn't quite get to the machine gunning of bodies, or machining gun bodies or whatever, that makes it not O/T...
                    Kansas City area

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
                      Oh, I dont carry a gun. In was i the Navy for 8 years before the 20 years with LASD.

I was a missle and gun tech in the Navy. LASD? Talk to the Range Masters up at the North Range and my .$% at 100 yards up hill. The gong 100 up hill. I pulled out my .45 and shot it twiice.

Not a normal .45. Yes, its a boomer. I load my own.. JR
                      In Viet Nam in our "down time" we used to shoot our .45's at 55 gal barrels 500 yards down range. It took about two rounds to "dial it in" using Kentucky windage, but once dialed in, you could empty your entire clip and hit the barrel most of the time. It took about a 30-40 degree elevation, but it could be done. Those not firing could actually see the rounds going down range and could tell almost immediately if it would be a hit or miss. All this using standard mil-spec ammo.

Comment

A tragectory like a rainbow I would say, SLK100.

Comment

Ok, here's an 80% receiver I milled out with my Bridgeport. It takes MP5 mags, it's a 9mm AR. The bottom one.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_165855.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	1860703

Comment

from the Wiki

Historically, a sheriff was a legal official with responsibility for a shire, the term being a contraction of "shire reeve". In the United States, a sheriff is a sworn law enforcement officer, whose duties vary across states and counties. A sheriff is generally an elected county official, with duties that typically include policing unincorporated areas, maintaining county jails, providing security to courts in the county, and (in some states) serving warrants and court papers. In addition to these policing and correction services, a sheriff is often responsible for enforcing civil law within the jurisdiction.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                              Solly. I was going to post pics and methods then decided it was not a good idea. Sorry for no machining content. It was about machining bodies without parts just to show. JR

Comment

Working...
                              X