carbide inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carbide inserts

I need to get some more carbide inserts. Went looking on eBay. Found name brand inserts at unbelievably low prices. Too low for me to think they are actually the name brand inserts. 20 Mitsubishi CCMT32.52 nitride coated for $19 + $3 frt. in original packaging, from China. Description says made in Japan. Go to a US distributor and the "same" insert is about $9-10 each. What's wrong with this picture?
    Is it still posible that the eBay inserts are a "good buy" for a hobbyist, non-production user?
    I usually rough things out with carbide inserted tools and then finish with HSS.

At the risk of being flamed by those who only buy the top-of-the-line everything, I have bought TCMT, and internal and external threading inserts, from Banggood (direct from China) and they have been (1) completely satisfactory (2) non-branded inserts (3) about a buck apiece. Name brand anything at suspiciously cheap prices from the China on-line sites are worth the side-eye as to provenance, but they probably will work just fine.

Comment

Almost certainly fake. If I'm buying something like that, I try to buy the unbranded ones. I don't like to support the makers or sellers of counterfeit products.

Comment

You know, that suspicious Chinese "junk" has always worked pretty well for me. I haven't tried the Mitsubishi's, but if they are knockoffs I doubt they're going to be any different than the Rishet or nameless stuff I've picked up in the same price range, and for a home shop that stuff works pretty well.

Give it a shot, not like you'll be losing much

Comment

It is well worth getting some of the cheap Chinese inserts for steel and also the shiny ones for aluminium, they are much improved these days. I have some Drillpro brand for steel in TNMG which work just as good as my Sandvik, Kennametal and Seco ones. I have Kennametal inserts made in the USA, UK, Germany and China, they are comparable in quality.

Comment

I been tempted with these:

​​​​​​https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kyocera-CCM...c/333386509169

If you go to their 'store' you get a wide selection of items.
            Do you think these are knockoffs or the real thing?

Comment

All my inserts have come from China via Ali Express, and I have no issue with any of them.

Comment

I have accumulated a collection of inserts from Auctions that will probably last me a lifetime,have bought a couple New Holders to accomadate these inserts.Most of my holders were bought used,I use the grooving cutters for a lot applications that there not really designed for but they Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2512.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	1860617 do a great job.

Comment

I bought a job lot of Kennametal Top Notch inserts (as in the pictures) cheap on ebay, with a mill, it is easy to make a holder for them, as they were all the same size and hand.

Comment

I, too, get almost all my inserts from Aliexpress, along with the holders. Sometimes I find a better deal on eBay, but they are basically the same stuff from China. At a buck (or less) per insert, they are completely adequate at a price a hobbyist can afford.
                    It's all mind over matter.
                    If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

My understanding is that a lot of the big Western Brands get their inserts and cutters made in China today, because the handling and packaging costs are so small.
                      So one wonders which door of the genuine factory some of this stuff came out of ...

Cheers
                      Roger

Comment

I have hundreds of Kennametal inserts all say made in USA,must be very old stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                          I have hundreds of Kennametal inserts all say made in USA,must be very old stock.
                          Yeah, I also have hundreds that are old and all say USA. JR

Comment

Hi,

I've bought inserts from Banggood that were represented in generic packaging in the photos but I received Iscars labeled boxes. But they did not have recognizable Iscars product numbers. Pretty sure they weren't genuine Iscars inserts. They were still pretty good for home use.
                            If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                              I bought a job lot of Kennametal Top Notch inserts (as in the pictures) cheap on ebay, with a mill, it is easy to make a holder for them, as they were all the same size and hand.
                              Did not know there called Top Notch,thought they were a grooving insert.I use them for turning&facing and find they do a great job with less pressure than
                              the CNMG style.Most are double sided so breaking the odd one when I make a mistake doesn't break the bank @ 50 cents,have lot's to learn but usually get the job done lol! I never considered building the holder,could you post pics.

Comment

Working...
                              X