carbide inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    I never considered building the holder,could you post pics.
    I would love to see a finished holder for them also. I have many top notch Kenn inserts and want to use them more.

The angles and heat treat will be an issue. Besides getting the correct steel. 40 bucks?? Ill take two in my dimensions. JR

Comment

I also bought the holders from ebay (or was it Banggood?), and they have been pretty good too. Very hard steel in them. Given the size of China and the size of their manufacturing base, I would expect them to be able to make reasonable stuff. For sure, they will have had a LOT of practice, and they often hire Western managers for their new private enterprise factories.
      Cheers
      Roger

Comment

Just read the labels on the boxes of the Kennametal inserts with the diagonal vee groove across the top and bottom. Unfortunately, you have three different sizes/hand which would mean three holders.
        The insert top left in the photo is left handed and fits on the right hand side of the holder. The others are all right handed, in two sizes. They are not held exactly in line with the holder axis, but skewed a few degrees, as I found out when I made the holder. I just milled the side of the holder which rested against the toolpost at an angle to compensate. If I remember, I will take a photo of the tool, it is very easy to make.
        I have only seen genuine Kennametal holders for Top Notch inserts, they are not common enough to be worth copying.

I have found a picture on ebay UK, the second photo shows the tool laying on its side.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kennameta...AAAOSwZTBbmj8S
        Last edited by old mart; 03-13-2020, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Here's another variation on the Top Notch theme:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kennameta...IAAOSwcKZdDNRa

Comment

Here is picture of a few top notch tool holders. Some in the background are Kenloc tool holders. Here is a link to a Kennametal Turning catalog that could be helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kennametal top notch 1.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1861342

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kennametal top notch 2.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	1861343

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
              Almost certainly fake. If I'm buying something like that, I try to buy the unbranded ones. I don't like to support the makers or sellers of counterfeit products.
              this. nothing wrong with choosing to buy a low cost tool.......LOTS wrong with counterfeiting and supporting counterfeiters
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                Just read the labels on the boxes of the Kennametal inserts with the diagonal vee groove across the top and bottom. Unfortunately, you have three different sizes/hand which would mean three holders.
                The insert top left in the photo is left handed and fits on the right hand side of the holder. The others are all right handed, in two sizes. They are not held exactly in line with the holder axis, but skewed a few degrees, as I found out when I made the holder. I just milled the side of the holder which rested against the toolpost at an angle to compensate. If I remember, I will take a photo of the tool, it is very easy to make.
                I have only seen genuine Kennametal holders for Top Notch inserts, they are not common enough to be worth copying.

I have found a picture on ebay UK, the second photo shows the tool laying on its side.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kennameta...AAAOSwZTBbmj8S
                I have genuine Kennametal holders for all Top Notch inserts in pic lefts&rights.

Comment

The Top Notch style also include threading inserts.

Comment

Working...
                  X