Frugalman® Award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frugalman® Award

OK, here’s my entry into the 2020 Frugalman® award. My trusty old 1986 Boston electric pencil sharpener suffered a sudden fracturing of its main drive gear. The plastic had degraded to a brittle, crumbly substance that resembled dried cheese. I just couldn’t bring myself to bin it & order up a replacement from Amazon. Where’s the fun in that?

A quick encounter with Mr. Bandsaw’, the lathe and the mill transformed it into a manual sharpener that should be good for another 34 years.

Last edited by DICKEYBIRD; 03-14-2020, 12:24 PM.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

That's a fantastic job! I really hate it when drive components are made out of plastic.

Comment

You did not make another gear?

Why not?
      CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
      Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
      Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
      I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
      Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Cast a new gear in polyurethane.

Comment

Is that a case of a nylon gear absorbing the solvent from the grease and losing it's strength? I wonder how a replacement gear that has never seen grease would have fared over that same time period?

I like the repair- nothing like keeping a relic in operation long after its 'due date'. It does make me wonder though how long various plastics should be expected to last.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

You should 3D print a gear

Comment

If its stupid, but it works, then it aint stupid.

That said, this is incredibly weird. Best kind of weird though, hell of a conversation starter though!

Comment

They make electric sharpeners? Wow! Where have I been?

Comment

My neighbor stopped by three days ago with the same model sharpener. The issues with the gear and the same vintage. We did not repair it as he has a couple more to wear out.

Comment

I like it, my kinda guy! Always keep a roll of baling wire in the glove box....
                    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Truly a man after my own heart! Why spend $10 for a new one when you can spend 3 hours fixing the old one?
                      It's all mind over matter.
                      If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
                        You sure about that? 😉

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post

That said, this is incredibly weird. Best kind of weird though, hell of a conversation starter though!
                          Nothing weird about it as many of the wall mount ones were hand crank also ---- only thing about DB's little modification is it makes me wonder how he's going to use it lol

the wall mounts are just that - wall mounted, that leaves one hand to crank (and the wall to counter the action) and one hand to push the pencil in, without a mount of some kind im just seeing a bunch of flopping around and broken pencil ends....

Comment

Well, there's no going back now ! ! ! ! Screw it to a wall or bench somewhere an on to the next bit of frugalment ! ! ! !

And nice touch with the registered mark in the title. I have a nasty time with trying to get some of the alt codes to work for some reason.
                            Last edited by BCRider; 03-11-2020, 01:24 PM.
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Stepside View Post
                              My neighbor stopped by three days ago with the same model sharpener. The issues with the gear and the same vintage. We did not repair it as he has a couple more to wear out.
                              I have one of those and it works fine. Now you've got me worried
                              “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Working...
                              X